Meeting DR1'ers

Jul 28, 2014
I was wondering this morning out of curiosity, how many DR1'ers have actually met each other? Do people from here ever make a point of wanting to meet some of the other folks, or do most prefer to be keyboard assassins?

For myself I have met Cdn_Gringo and Frank12 and hopefully Harleysrock this week as I attend one of Harley's wife's music gigs in Sosua. Might see you at Sinatra's (if you are going) Thursday Harley if you read this ;)

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Welcome back G. See you when I get home.

I go out of my way to meet people who post here-well those that will self identify and are willing to meet up. I can generally set aside any forum differences. Most people are pretty decent in person. There are others I am sure who would be absolutely mortified to be outed in public and thus are probably the wall flowers at the back of the room whispering, "pssst, you on DR1? What's your pseudo?"

My wife and I were at the Finish Line two Saturdays ago and someone asked her if she was on DR1. She's not but told them that I was. I was never approached by that person so it must have been someone I have annoyed in the past. Of course they didn't volunteer their pseudo.

It's a small world and for expats even more so. It's much too small to pi$$ away friendship opportunities over differences of opinion. So yeah, I go out of my way to meet & greet anyone who can make the effort to extend their hand.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
We have had a few get together in NY in the past. We even had an annual picnic. :)

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
I never have mainly, because I live in Maimon (Bonao) near the Cerro de Maimon and Pueblo Viejo mines. But if anyone is around this area, be sure to come the the Cascada Hotel and Bar or the beach at Lago Hatillo and let's meet up for a drink.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Between Canada and DR get togethers I have met at least 200+ members past and present. Last year I had the pleasure of meeting Chiri after all these years on DR1 and it felt like I had known always known her in real life. :) This year I had the pleasure of meeting AE and hubby. Same thing, just like family. :)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I think a lot of DR1ers have met in person through DR1. Every so often there are get-togethers, but I met the largest number at Drro's birthday party in Sosua a few years ago. The north coast people seem to know each other a lot more than in other parts, where I live I am the only foreigner for many miles, excluding one French Canadian who's been here so long he's more Dominican than anything.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Between Canada and DR get togethers I have met at least 200+ members past and present. Last year I had the pleasure of meeting Chiri after all these years on DR1 and it felt like I had known always known her in real life. :) This year I had the pleasure of meeting AE and hubby. Same thing, just like family. :)

200?????? Geesh, I've met only a few. You, Matilda, Whirleybird, JDJones, Bronzeallspice, Mountainannie, Cobraboy, BigBird, Chirimoya, RG84, jrhartley, drro, Tracy. I probably forgot someone. A bunch at Ro's party, but just to say hello. Friends with a lot more on Facebook.

You're right though, it's easy for strong friendships to develop here.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Probably not as many as 200, but it would still be a long list of DR1ers past and present.

When I lived in the capital I attended several meet-ups and juanita used to host barbecues. We haven't organised anything in the B?varo/PC area but there are a couple of people here who I met via DR1.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
200?????? Geesh, I've met only a few. You, Matilda, Whirleybird, JDJones, Bronzeallspice, Mountainannie, Cobraboy, BigBird, Chirimoya, RG84, jrhartley, drro, Tracy. I probably forgot someone. A bunch at Ro's party, but just to say hello. Friends with a lot more on Facebook.

You're right though, it's easy for strong friendships to develop here.

Don't forget I've been on DR1 since Columbus landing there :laugh:

I've also gone to a couple of "Beyond the Beach" gatherings and in Toronto as well

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
It's a small world and for expats even more so. It's much too small to pi$$ away friendship opportunities over differences of opinion. So yeah, I go out of my way to meet & greet anyone who can make the effort to extend their hand.

For sure, back in 2003 I met AZB. I didn't know how he would react since I had deleted so many of his posts at the time. He gave be a big hug :)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Probably not as many as 200, but it would still be a long list of DR1ers past and present.

When I lived in the capital I attended several meet-ups and juanita used to host barbecues. We haven't organised anything in the B?varo/PC area but there are a couple of people here who I met via DR1.

See, I knew I'd forget people - met Juanita too :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i've met a few. one turned out to be a crook which was a bit of a shocker. other than that all meetings were pleasant.

i've met a few. one turned out to be a crook which was a bit of a shocker. other than that all meetings were pleasant.

Sorry about that, I promise your cheque is in the mail ;-)

I've met probably 50 dr1er's and I actually really like everyone I have met. Since I posted the pic of the wife and I people come up to me a lot. On Sunday I was at a plaza in Santiago and I hear "Harleysrock" and got to meet another one. I like putting a face to the name :).
Some of my best buds here are from dr1.

Like cdn_gringo said I don't take what is said on dr1 too seriously and can separate arguments or whatever.
See you tomorrow GR!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ha ha ha, crook is a very old story. i loved meeting you and your gorgeous wife.

VIMAN68

Feb 15, 2013
Since we are on the topic...I've met one fellow DR1 member here in Santiago, but have communicated with a few. There seems to be several of us here in Santiago, maybe we can organize a meet up soon :)

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013

If anybody ever plans anything in the PC/ Bavaro area please post it. My wife and I are here for 5 to 7 months every year and it would be nice to meet some of the other posters