Naturalization ceremony

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
Does anyone have a somewhat recent experience of going through the naturalization oath ceremony? How long approximately does the ceremony last? Does one have to repeat the oath in Spanish individually or as a group?

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I think it was about an hour, and the oath was repeated as a group. Cool photo op, make sure to have your camera ;)

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
All in a group, takes about an hour. They just call you to received your certificate, make sure you or your lawyers knows what to do with it, seen many going back and forth en la Junta Central because they did not know what to do.

Your lawyer needs to prepare a letter asking the Junta to make the changes for you from Resident to Citizen and ask for a proof of identity. With this you can go request your passport which you can have 2 days later, cedula took me about 2 weeks as they change everything in the system.

Good luck ....

Does anyone have a somewhat recent experience of going through the naturalization oath ceremony? How long approximately does the ceremony last? Does one have to repeat the oath in Spanish individually or as a group?

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
May I ask how long ago you obtained your citizenship? The way I understood the process is that, following the naturalization ceremony, one must wait 6-8 weeks for a Dominican birth certificate to be issued. After that, one may apply for a citizenship cedula, which has a processing time of approximately five days. Only after that is it possible to apply for a Dominican passport (processing time of 3 days with VIP).

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
who, in their right mind, would want to become a citizen of this god forsaken country?

What about someone who has an ancestral connection to the country, or a property investor, or someone who aims to qualify for the Olympics but isn't able to in his home country?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
DR citizenship has the intrinsic value of providing one with a passport if your primary one is lost, or is allowed to expire. Citizens can vote, if they so choose. Citizens do not pay residency renewal fees. Citizens can travel to a few countries visa free. Citizens can choose which passport gets stamped when entering/exiting the DR - thus their primary country may not know where they really are without some serious looking. Citizenship should put one on equal footing in the eyes of the justice system - no longer being an extjanero gringo might prevent one from being found culpable by default for at least a 1/10 of a second in court.

I'm sure there are other advantages but the value of these and the other advantages will be of differing value to different people.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
who, in their right mind, would want to become a citizen of this god forsaken country?

Me, it offers a number of advantages for inheritance, taxes....etc. Plus it makes my wife happy and the Dominicans I call my friends see it as a commitment to the community. There are no disadvantages as I'm still Canadian.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007

The big mistake God made was... To create the Dominican politicians...

Specially the one in office btoday!

JJ

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
big difference, not many dominicans on this forum.

Then may I suggest you go post in the off topic forum because all other forums on DR1 are gong to be about that god forsaken country and we don't need to deal with your attitude.:cool:

20 more useless posts and you can move to the OT forum

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
What about someone who has an ancestral connection to the country, or a property investor, or someone who aims to qualify for the Olympics but isn't able to in his home country?

Okay, so 3 people have a good reason to become a citizen.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
to each their own but i would be willing to bet that their are more people who don't want to be citizens or even get to be a resident (they just as soon pay the exit fee for overstaying)

That would be incorrect. The overwhelming majority of foreigners residing in the DR have their residency papers. It is a select group of loud and vocal dissenters on DR1 (if you don't read other forums) that can sometimes allow one to come the the faux conclusion you mention.

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
Not long ago...

I got mine in October and I'm probably the happiest Dominican in the country, I'm traveling a lot and even at the airport they treat you better because you follow the rules and accept them the way they are, who does't think that way should leave the country.

Sorry forgot the primary question; yes it was in October last year and you are getting an envelope with your certificate and another one with papers for the JCE, so right after the ceremony our lawyer lawyer made up the letter quickly in his office and we went the same day to the JCE second floor I think, depositing all the papers and next day we had their paper "like a request to the other office" which we took to an office at Plaza Naco, little office all the way in the back of the plaza.

Small talk with the director there and got processed, requesting birth certificate and checking if Cedula data and address stilt the same, occupation, blood type etc etc, that's the time you can change anything. So once this was done they told us we can pick up our cedula in about 3 weeks at any JCE office in the country or any consulate outside the country.

IMPORTANT: Our lawyer also asked at the same office for the certification of identity, all this was don the same morning and off we went to the Passport office at the Malecon with the birth certificate and the identification certificate which is like a big print out of your cedula data, paid the VIP and actually picked up our passport the next day in the afternoon as we told them we were flying out.

So actually after the naturalization it's easy going.

Good luck and happy that not everybody is taking this country which accepts us for granted.

May I ask how long ago you obtained your citizenship? The way I understood the process is that, following the naturalization ceremony, one must wait 6-8 weeks for a Dominican birth certificate to be issued. After that, one may apply for a citizenship cedula, which has a processing time of approximately five days. Only after that is it possible to apply for a Dominican passport (processing time of 3 days with VIP).

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
That would be incorrect. The overwhelming majority of foreigners residing in the DR have their residency papers. It is a select group of loud and vocal dissenters on DR1 (if you don't read other forums) that can sometimes allow one to come the the faux conclusion you mention.

If you are a U.S. Citizen or Resident, there is very little reason to obtain Dominican Citizenship/Passport. Remember, the U.S. taxes on citizenship rather than residence like most of the world. This means that obtaining Dominican citizenship is only going to compound your problems even further.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
If you are a U.S. Citizen or Resident, there is very little reason to obtain Dominican Citizenship/Passport. Remember, the U.S. taxes on citizenship rather than residence like most of the world. This means that obtaining Dominican citizenship is only going to compound your problems even further.

Taxes no, but advantages in applying for coveted international jobs and other awards, yes.

I know of an American-born who applied for her Dominican citizenship because as an American she was not considered for international jobs she wanted to apply for in the future, upon retiring from her primary job. Since there are few Dominicans applying for these prime jobs, she gets preference.