Opportunities in San Pedro de Macoris

LuisInDR

Mar 28, 2015
Hey guys,

Iv been living in DR for about a year now attending the Universal Central del Este (UCE), a university here in San Pedro de Macoris. I'm working on getting Bachelors in business administration & accounting.

Aside from focusing on my studies, iv been spending time analyzing different commodity markets in search of economic opportunities. After all, its a developing country with a lot of potential and since i'm from the United states, its like looking back in time trying to figure out what the next BOOM will be here.

After a couple of months of due diligence, i took a serious interest in human hair.

I observed that a 50 gram bundle of natural Brazilian or Indian hair retails between 2,000 to 3,000 pesos (45-68 US Dollars).

I started doing research online on the biggest exporters of human hair within the international markets. After i felt a little more empowered about what i learned about the hair industry I started contacting exporters for quotes & what i discovered was amazing.

If i bought directly from manufactures at modest wholesale prices & retailed at competitive prices, my profit margins would still be huge.

So i did a marketing run using facebook to test the market demand.

I created a facebook page to promote the 46 pieces of Brazilian hair i bought wholesale from my supplier.

I created an ad that basically said in spanish "5 packs of hair for 5,000 pesos" & only tagged 300 people out of the 2,100 friends iv been steadily adding.

The response was explosive. Out of the 300 tagged people, 44 of them turned into solid leads. That's a 15% conversion rate. And out of the 44 leads 32 of them actually wanted to buy but i only had bought enough packs for 9 people.

In 2 days i had sold 46,000 pesos ( US 1,022) worth of Brazilian hair.

I sold each pack for 1,000 pesos cheaper than the cheapest human hair on the market & still managed to profit 38.5% of total revenue. Amazing results.

After witnessing such explosive results i started doing even more research to better understand the hair market & industry as a whole here in the DR.

What i'm learning is amazing about this industry.

We're witnessing a huge opportunity to create a solid business & im looking for partners & investors that can get to where im at with my business plan.

If your interested please contact me:

Luis Espinosa

PanfilodeVaca

Jan 12, 2014
My older brother is an anchorite, and I'd like to surprise him with a new hair shirt on his birthday.

Can I order three pounds? Coarse of course.

Last edited:

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
What a brilliant idea! Selling hair in the DR? Who would have thought about that? :speechles

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
If you had half a brain why would you be soliciting advise from a public form.
Not to mention the local hair seems to be really frizzy and curly. My ex did high end wigs and this type of hair doesn't fit the profile you seem to be taking about.
I smell scam.
Perhaps a moderator will step in to advise you

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I will sell u my hair......ah no, wait a minute, I dont have any.....

LuisInDR

Mar 28, 2015
If you had half a brain why would you be soliciting advise from a public form.
Not to mention the local hair seems to be really frizzy and curly. My ex did high end wigs and this type of hair doesn't fit the profile you seem to be taking about.
I smell scam.
Perhaps a moderator will step in to advise you

Please re-read my post, i was not asking anyone for advice. I'm well orientated on how to properly contact market research in order to discover the information i need.

I was asking if their are any business men / women or investors who would be interested in the presented opportunity.

But i do agree with you, the quality of hair available in the DR markets is rather low quality. Most are synthetic or mixed with animal hair & not 100% human.

But whats really appalling are the prices these women pay.

My 9 buyers we're women.

I took the time to survey each of them. I wanted to get to know their likes & dislikes when it came to hair & i learned a lot.

1 of the 9 girls owned a salon (professional from the looks). She was EXTREMELY skeptical about the quality of my hair because of the low price i was charging her.

She invited me to her salon (quit eager young lady) 7 bought 1 bundle to test to see if it was really human hair. She burned it, dyed it, used the blower to straighten it & used an iron to flatten it.

She was surprised to find out it was really real hair lol

She ended up buying 10 bundles from me & she currently distributes a fair amount of my hair.

I would love to give you guys a link to my hair Facebook page so you can see the amount of interest im generating currently but everytime i post a link the comment will not let me publish.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
If you have a solid business plan, try pitching The Shark Tank for cap.

Shark Tank Application

How much capital are you looking to raise, and what percentage of the business are you offering?

LuisInDR

Mar 28, 2015
If you have a solid business plan, try pitching The Shark Tank for cap.
How much capital are you looking to raise, and what percentage of the business are you offering?

That's my favorite show :)

I think one of the rules is that you have to operate within the US.

The ideal capital amount would be between 5,000 to 6,000 US dollars. A modest amount.

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
At that valuation, you're saying your company is worth $120,000.

How many customers do you have, 9?

What are your sales to date, $1022?

And you say your company is worth $120,000 USD?

Quite an education they're giving you over there at Universal Central del Este.

fuchs4d

Mar 7, 2004
Luis,

please post your phone number here or via private message.

I will send someone to try a sample to sell to salons on the north coast.
Or they will sell right in SP and get more the same day.

If quality is as you say, you will not need money from others.

Just continue to grow slow and you will have a solid business soon.

All the best.

Alexander

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Hey guys,

Iv been living in DR for about a year now attending the Universal Central del Este (UCE), a university here in San Pedro de Macoris. I'm working on getting Bachelors in business administration & accounting.

Aside from focusing on my studies, iv been spending time analyzing different commodity markets in search of economic opportunities. After all, its a developing country with a lot of potential and since i'm from the United states, its like looking back in time trying to figure out what the next BOOM will be here.

After a couple of months of due diligence, i took a serious interest in human hair.

I observed that a 50 gram bundle of natural Brazilian or Indian hair retails between 2,000 to 3,000 pesos (45-68 US Dollars).

I started doing research online on the biggest exporters of human hair within the international markets. After i felt a little more empowered about what i learned about the hair industry I started contacting exporters for quotes & what i discovered was amazing.

If i bought directly from manufactures at modest wholesale prices & retailed at competitive prices, my profit margins would still be huge.

So i did a marketing run using facebook to test the market demand.

I created a facebook page to promote the 46 pieces of Brazilian hair i bought wholesale from my supplier.

I created an ad that basically said in spanish "5 packs of hair for 5,000 pesos" & only tagged 300 people out of the 2,100 friends iv been steadily adding.

The response was explosive. Out of the 300 tagged people, 44 of them turned into solid leads. That's a 15% conversion rate. And out of the 44 leads 32 of them actually wanted to buy but i only had bought enough packs for 9 people.

In 2 days i had sold 46,000 pesos ( US 1,022) worth of Brazilian hair.

I sold each pack for 1,000 pesos cheaper than the cheapest human hair on the market & still managed to profit 38.5% of total revenue. Amazing results.

After witnessing such explosive results i started doing even more research to better understand the hair market & industry as a whole here in the DR.

What i'm learning is amazing about this industry.

We're witnessing a huge opportunity to create a solid business & im looking for partners & investors that can get to where im at with my business plan.

If your interested please contact me:

Luis Espinosa

Ignore the haters, most are clueless about the DR and either visit now and again or have very little experience of doing business here or understand the culture.

Amazing the prices they pay here for real hair or "Hindi" hair as some call it.

Hair extensions are huge market in the DR as you are finding out :)

Good luck!

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
@ O.P,
Your correct $5,000 -$6000 isn't a large amount of start up money. My advice is go back to the country your lived before. Live with a family member and work a job for they summer. Assuming it's a developed country you can earn your start up money, and eliminate investors.
Good luck

Aug 6, 2006
I agree that the markup on hair is very high. That explains why the Flea Market stalls and strip malls in Miami rarely seem to go out of business.
In addition to the fact that human hair is preferred, it is also true that human hair grows in such a way that hair implants need to be sewn in or applied so that the hairs flow from the scalp to the bottom in the same wayt they did when growing on a human head. I think the term is Remi.

Flea market products need to have a high profit margin to succeed because of the rent that must be paid. How do you plan to distribute your product?

fuchs4d

Mar 7, 2004
Luis,

if you get real human hair for a real good price:

There is a morality side of the story if you do not know under what cirumstances the supplier gets the hair or if the women give away their hair by coice.

If you order higher volumes, price may go up or order can not be fullfilled or you get scammed.

Alexander