Why Do you dislike the Semana Santa Death Pool Thread??

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
I for one dislike the Semana Santa Death Pool thread simply because of the words "Death Pool". It makes it sound like people are betting on how many people are going to die during this years Dominican "Holy Week". I can't help but wonder how many people will be hoping that one or two more people die so that they can claim the honor or dishonor of winning the pool. It just doesn't sit well with me morally. This isn't a football game or a Nascar race. It's Easter and possibly one of the most serious holiday's to many religions around the world which to me makes the thread disrespectful in so many ways. I remember in the states how many people were killed while travelling during the Thanksgiving holiday, or especially Labor Day weekend where countless Americans would be killed in all kinds of accidents ranging from Drowning, to driving intoxicated with the family. Why not start a Labor Day Death Pool? I doubt that anyone that is playing the Semana Santa Death Pool would go along with a Labor Day Death Pool, but this death pool is ok because they are Dominicans??? Morbid. Just Morbid...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
As I said in the death-pool thread, before it was so rudely deleted [see, even Mods are deleted! :) ], it is probably my least favorite thread each year. I find it morbid and distasteful. Not all the people who will die this week are drunks, many will be innocents in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The thread has also gone a bit viral on Facebook on a Dominican page, and the things being said about DR1 are not pretty [and that's putting it mildly].

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
But why is it being allowed? It should be prohibited. If enough posters protest
then it should be removed.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Moved to General Stuff.

This one is your baby Berzin!!!!!

BTW, I do not condone the Semana Santa Thread.

I am just the moderator, and as such, just a gatekeeper. Until this thread is closed down by the higher forces on DR1, it stays and I need to moderate.

Remember, I did not open the thread. Just stay out of it and rant your dislikes on this one.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The Death Pool thread accurately represents the attitudes of many DR1'ers so there should be no surprise.

I'm glad this is on fb because it's about time Dominicans saw what many foreigners who live here think about their country.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I for one dislike the Semana Santa Death Pool thread simply because of the words "Death Pool". It makes it sound like people are betting on how many people are going to die during this years Dominican "Holy Week". I can't help but wonder how many people will be hoping that one or two more people die so that they can claim the honor or dishonor of winning the pool. It just doesn't sit well with me morally. This isn't a football game or a Nascar race. It's Easter and possibly one of the most serious holiday's to many religions around the world which to me makes the thread disrespectful in so many ways. I remember in the states how many people were killed while travelling during the Thanksgiving holiday, or especially Labor Day weekend where countless Americans would be killed in all kinds of accidents ranging from Drowning, to driving intoxicated with the family. Why not start a Labor Day Death Pool? I doubt that anyone that is playing the Semana Santa Death Pool would go along with a Labor Day Death Pool, but this death pool is ok because they are Dominicans??? Morbid. Just Morbid...

Morbid it is. But it is also real. Many drunken people do cause damage this week. This is DR1 so starting a death pool on Labor Day in the US would be off topic.

Perhaps if Dominicans see "what gringos think", it would have a positive impact on their behavior. As far as any deeper "meaning" to this week , that part is mythology.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
not the first, nor the last. there are celebrity death pools, counting possible celebs to die in any given year, due to their drug use or old age. it's simple statistic, we will all be part of the pool one day. no dr1er goes out to drain break fluids of anyone's car, no one influences the pool in any way. it's a simple prediction of something that will happen. no different to that of who will win the world cup or be elected a president. it's just numbers.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Perhaps if Dominicans see "what gringos think", it would have a positive impact on their behavior.

With all due respect many gringos here reject science, are drunks, chase after prostitutes that could be their great grandkids and promote homosexuality. Unfortunately, some here are so clueless they think these are positive traits.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
With all due respect many gringos here reject science, are drunks, chase after prostitutes that could be their great grandkids and promote homosexuality. Unfortunately, some here are so clueless they think these are positive traits.

This has to do with the Semana Santa Pool thread and not your agendas. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

hombre987

Nov 17, 2013
Perhaps if Dominicans see "what gringos think", it would have a positive impact on their behavior. As far as any deeper "meaning" to this week , that part is mythology.

Little town in Costa Rica with a town plaza and a church. Traditional town with farming people. Up in the mountains. National Geographic wrote once that it had the best climate in the world. The gringos went in droves. Today? A little mountain town full of drugs, prostitution and homosexuality. Little town in the Dominican with great climate. Gringos went in droves. Today full of prostitution, drugs and homosexuals and to boot pedafiles. Sosua. See a trend here? Your statement is not only arrogant, it's downright stupidity. Hay buenos gringos pero muchos malos. Muchos. By the way, Dominicans could care less what you think, most of them only care about what you have and unfortunately too many willing to sell their souls to get some of it.

May 29, 2006
I dunno about *great* grandkids.. :)

I like novias around 25 or 27 myself, but I've dated women as old as 45.

Last edited:
May 12, 2005
The Semana Santa over/under fatality count thread has been on DR1 for years now. Apparently for some reason this year it got a bunch of sensitive sallies all worked up. No one is celebrating the deaths of Dominicans. Quite frankly we'd all be happy if there were zero but unfortunately that is not the case. Take it as a commentary on the behavior of a large segment of the population. Perhaps this outrage would be better directed at the lack of self control of a large portion of Dominicans during this week.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Semana Drunko" has little to no "Religious Importance" in the DR!!!!!!!
The churches are empty, the highways, hotels,and beaches are full of drunk Dominicans behaving, WELL, like Drunk Dominicans!!!!!

If Dominicans respected themselves, and more important, Each Other, there would be no reason to have our "Death Pool"!!!

The point of the "POOL" is to bring attention to the Drunken Moronic actions of a GREAT number of Dominicans in what Should be a time of quiet religious introspection.

Besides there IS a benefit to their drunken frenzy, it increases the IQ of the country!
"Darwinianly Speaking"!!!!

And the "POOL" gives some of our "Agenda Driven DR Spin Doctors" the opportunity to spout their "Holier Than Thou" hypocritical Dogma"!

Right chip????

Wouldn't it be ironic if my wife was really my daughter????
Talk about "Mejorando a la RAZA"!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
The Semana Santa over/under fatality count thread has been on DR1 for years now. Apparently for some reason this year it got a bunch of sensitive sallies all worked up. No one is celebrating the deaths of Dominicans. Quite frankly we'd all be happy if there were zero but unfortunately that is not the case. Take it as a commentary on the behavior of a large segment of the population. Perhaps this outrage would be better directed at the lack of self control of a large portion of Dominicans during this week.

...and tell them to stop greedily taking cellphone pictures of every accident victim they can come by, THAT is much worth than us giving our estimates...

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Moved to General Stuff.

This one is your baby Berzin!!!!!

BTW, I do not condone the Semana Santa Thread.

I am just the moderator, and as such, just a gatekeeper. Until this thread is closed down by the higher forces on DR1, it stays and I need to moderate.

Remember, I did not open the thread. Just stay out of it and rant your dislikes on this one.

Awww Come on Bronxboy, and I placed the thread in "Living" just for you.. In all fairness to bronxboy, I believe that he is moderating the death poll thread fairly with respect to the posters in the thread. His posts in the thread actually kept me from posting my displeasure regarding another persons post on the thread, and I stayed out of it respecting the other posters of the thread no matter what I thought of it. His position makes me think that; "It aint easy being a moderator here on DR1"..

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
not the first, nor the last. there are celebrity death pools, counting possible celebs to die in any given year, due to their drug use or old age. it's simple statistic, we will all be part of the pool one day. no dr1er goes out to drain break fluids of anyone's car, no one influences the pool in any way. it's a simple prediction of something that will happen. no different to that of who will win the world cup or be elected a president. it's just numbers.

It's very different than a pool for the world cup or a presidential election. These pools are NOT about the number of people that are going to be killed in a given time period. They don't make up rules and argue about suicides and what other atrocities that may befall a human being that will and will not be included into the pool like the Semana Santa Death Pool thread does. You can spin it anyway you want. No sweat off my brow as yours is not the face that is staring back at me in the mirror each morning. Mine is! I can only "do me".

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
No skin off my nose if people want to show their lack of class. It really has nothing to do with anything other than small things amuse small minds.