Restaurants and bar not in resorts in Punta

Sassy

Jan 1, 2002
I have heard that there is a restaurant called Captain Cooks (?) that is not assosiated with resorts in Punta Cana and I was wondering if anyone has been there. Also, I have heard about a bar called Hurican (sp?) in Punta also that is off of the resorts. Has anyone been there? I guess I am looking to get off the resort to mingle with the locals. I understand that by bike riding during the day one may be able to find local joints to go to. Any info would be appreciated!

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Sorry can't help you. But it seems that you have done the wrong choice. You should have gone to an non inclusive hotel in Sosua.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Captain Cooks is a popular resturant which if you are in the area you should be able to get a boat ride to it. I advise you to check with workers at your resort for prices first. The Hurrican is a good place to check out also. As far as riding a bike to get around, that could prove to be a little risky. Bikers and pedestrians DO NOT have the right away on any road in the DR. If you wish to ride a bike please do it with a Dominican to start with so they can teach you the safe way to do so. If you are interested in mixing with the local people simply get friendly with a resort worker and they will show you around. It is best if you travel with a group. It would be polite to buy them a drink or pay them a little money to be your guide.

AmyG

Jan 2, 2002
good advice from Dulce. I befriended resort employees on my first trip to the Dominican Republic and that is what lead me to better places "off the beaten path" etc. Capt. Cooks has great food, but it is a bit pricey - a popular tourist spot in Bavaro.

Beatriz

Jan 1, 2002
www.beatrizweb.com
Nothing more to say about Capitan Cook. If you want to prove it, don't buy the package that your tour operator will try to sell you. I think it's much better to go there in their free boat and try what you like (lobster is good, also fish.. and Presidente, of course).
Huracan Cafe (in spanish) is a bar on the beach, a good place at night, because it's also a kind of disco .... not really, I mean everybody dance on the sand... (really different from other places, try it...).
As the others posters have said, ask people of your resort, they all know where to go, and "when" (important fact...).

If you want to have a dominican experience, try to catch the public bus (guagua) and travel to Higuey, the nearest village to Bavaro. The cost of the trip is 20 pesos (cheap, isn't it?). Higuey is not a very special village, but at least, you will have the opportunity to have a Presidente in a Colmado, and to walk around. Be prepared to have many locals offering their services to you. A polite "no" is enough for them to leave you alone.. (what about your spanish?? some words are neccesary...)

Feel free to email me if you need more info. And if you want to see some photos of the area (higuey included), you can visit my web site: www.beatrizweb.com

Sassy

Jan 1, 2002
Thanks

Thanks everyone for your help! This board is awesome and have found the people here very helpful! I will definately check out the bar on the beach as well as hook up with a resort personnel to show us around a bit.....when I travel I like to get out and about even though I know it is risky (been there)! The feel of the culture is what makes the trip worthwhile! I am hoping schools will be in session the week of March 24th as I am a teacher and would like to view the educational system. I have done this other places and it broadens my perspective. Plus I have supplies that I have gathered to donate.

John El ?nico

Jan 9, 2002
Capitan cook is the best grilled rest. in the area. it is located directly in the cortesito beach and there is a free boat ride from your hotel. prices are expensives for a beach grill, but the food is great. lobster are sold for pounds. 1lb=250.00 pesos. I always need 2 pounds.
Cafe Hurac?n is a great place for dance and hang out. they open just on thursday and saturdays. it is located also in the beach, between H10 and Melia Caribe. prices are also expensives for a beach. 50 pesos for a 6 oz plastic glass of cuba libre.
Mangu, is the best club in the area.

Dominican Dream

Jan 9, 2002
www.dominican-dreams.com
The restaurant you are asking for is closed to Cortesito (???)!
The restaurant is very good. If you want to go there with a group of person, you should call them and make a reservation. For two or three you don?t need a reservation!

More information and some pictures you could find on the following homepage (travel tip section):
www.dominican-dreams.de/english.htm

If you have further question please don?t hesitate to contact me directly!

Enjoy your trip!

DRW

Jan 23, 2002
Punta Cana Week of March 23rd

This message is for Sassy:

My husband, myself and another couple will be staying at the Allegro Bavaro Resort from the 23rd - the 30th. I see you are going to be there at the same time. My friend who is coming with us is a fellow teacher.

Have you heard anything about tour and motorized water sport restrictions during the time of our stay because it is Holy Week?

Sassy

Jan 1, 2002
DRW

Hello DRW,

From what I can gather the motorized sports and tours stop on the Thursday before Good Friday.....so that gives a a few days to get out and see the country! I am planning on going on the Safari outing on the open truck. Looks like you guys will be right next door to us....hooking up for a drink at the Hurrican or elsewhere would be a blast! Have fun in Punta~

DRW

Jan 23, 2002
We too like to get out of the resort and mingle with the locals. We're thinking about renting a car and going to either Santo Domingo or Higuey (sp?) rather than going by bus. A drink at the Hurrican sounds like fun, drinks and dancing on the beach!! But I also heard that they are only open Thur - Sat. I also heard that there's a bar called Onkle Tom's not too far from the resorts. Could check that out too.

Sassy

Jan 1, 2002
Out and About....

Hello,

I definately want to get out of the resort. I enjoy getting to local joints. I have never heard of Onkle Tom's, but would be willing to check it out. I am not sure about the disco at the Bavaro Plaza....or how far that is from Sunscape. The trip to Santo Domingo sounds long...from the post I have read renting a car sounds risky only because of the DR people's driving. I do plan on asking resort workers about where to go, etc.. It sounds like Captain Cook's is a must. Do you guys plan on doing any tours?

DRW

Jan 23, 2002
Tours

Hey Sassy,

Tonight we are getting together for dinner and drinks with our friends who are coming with us to talk about the trip a bit. I know my husband and I are planning on going diving, so thinking about doing a day at Catatina Island. Also thinking a "booze" cruise thing like to Saoma Island sounds up our alley, which would include drinks, lunch and snorkeling.

We want to hit the "off the beaten" path places, which is whay we are considering renting a car. Does sound risky, but we've done it in Jamaica and they drive like nuts there.

My husband is pretty aggressive ... in more ways than one!! He's a salesman in real life so we usually do pretty good bartering!!

I'll touch base with you tomorrow.

Did I ask you already ... when are you and your traveling companion(s) arriving?

Sassy

Jan 1, 2002
Hey,

I am traveling with my fiance (just got engaged at X-mas, then took a drunken trip to Cancun for a few days a couple of weeks ago ;-)~), his daughter (15), my daughter (17) and his brother and his wife and their two kids. We are arriving March 24 and departing the 31st (staying at Sunscape). Our arrival is being so looked forward to as we are thirsting for lots of booze and sun!

Your hubby must be a risk-taker if he drove in Jamaica....yeah, mon! We were there last Spring break and the drivers there are CRAZY!

I have been out and about in some back alley places and had a blast. If one is respectful and easy going there should be no problems.

It seems as though I read a post where a man staying at Sunscape took a bike ride and found some local bars and hung out with the locals for the afternoon....someone suggested hooking up with a resort worker and picking their brain for some suggestions......

Hopefully others who have chosen to get off the resort will respond to this message and give their input.

Where are you guys from? We live in Wisconsin.

Ciao!

DRW

Jan 23, 2002
Out And About

Hi Sassy,

Congrats on the engagement. We will be celebrating our 4th anniversary on March 28 in PC. But that's not the reason for the vacation ... just need some adult time!! We have a 2 year old and a 5 month old ... and needless to say havn't had much of a vacation in 3 years!!

I'm sure we will befriend some locals ... we seem to always do that on vacation and those usually turn out to be the BEST parts about our vacations.

I've got a posting on debbiesdominicantravel.com to try to find other people staying at the Allegro Bavaro, and I'm somewhat surprised that I haven't had much response. But from what I've read it appears that there may be a lot of Germans at our particular resort. I have found one other guy from Indiana who will be staying at the Allegro and arrives the day before we do. He sounds like he's looking for some good drunken nights. And he's traveling with a female friend.

I may put out another flag next week and see if I can stir up anything else.

We got together with our friends for dinner last night ... and my girl friend and I polished off 2 bottles of wine while talking about our trip!!! We can't wait for the sun and fufu drinks!!

Didn't really make any head way on what excursions we're going to do. All I can say is give me a drink and the SUN and the WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But my friends husband wants to go to Santo Domingo ... not sure if I want to spend all day in a bus.

We're from Minneapolis ... so I guess we're almost neighbors!!

Last edited:

Sassy

Jan 1, 2002
DRW

Hello,

Sounds like you and your girl friend are ready to party....two bottles.....

I know we want to snorkle for sure, but have heard mixed reviews on this....sounds like one needs to go further down the beach from where we are staying.

Diving.....I am not certified, but my fiance is....so he may go...not sure yet.

I have thought about Santo Domingo also, but the travel time is detering me....I think you can fly there from Punta airport, but I am not sure how much the cost is.

Looks like we are neighbors......here and in Punta!

DRW

Jan 23, 2002
Hi Sassy

Have you looked any further into flying to Santo Domingo? That could be an option, I'm interested in going ... but that drive was really making me think twice about it. Just seems like a lot of "wasted" time sitting on a bus. That's why we thought if we rented a car we could drive there faster. Not making all the "tourist" stops along the way.

May have to skip that trip. I know I really want to get some diving in and do the catamaran/snorkeling thing.

Well if you find anything else out it let me know. Maybe we could "rent" our own tour guide with all 6 of us and your group.

Another couple has decided to join us. Some friends of ours started to get the itch when we were talking about it so they booked it. Although, she will be about 4 months pregnant in March. So, she may not be able to partake in some of the activities. It will be fun though.

I wish we were leaving tomorrow ... (except I'm going to miss my little girls!!!!!!!! Got to keep busy ... so I don't have time to feel guilty!!)