City Intersection Windscreen Cleaners......

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Copied from Dominican Today:

[B]Traffic cops to chase windshield washers, street vendors away [/B]

Santo Domingo.- The Metropolitan Transit Authority (AMET) on Thursday announced it will remove the windshield washers and street vendors in various National District intersections in the next few hours, to avert inconvenience and conflicts with drivers and pedestrians and avoid damage to vehicles.

AMET said it will coordinate the measure with the National Police to remove the people who often coerce drivers into paying for parking their car in public spaces and on streets and avenues.

In a statement, the agency said it receives reports of assaults daily at traffic lights and around government offices, businesses, health centers, among others, where citizens make errands.

It?s the second time since 2013 that AMET takes such action: The agency removed windshield washers and vendors from some streets and avenues of Greater Santo Domingo that year, after a motorist shot and killed a cleaner in the head on the corner of Jimenez Moya (Churchill) and Sarasota avenues.

Wish they would apply their resources to stopping those motorists crossing on red first.

At least it may deploy those NP who work 27th Feb in pairs from stopping motorists and exhorting cash from them.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
I don't believe in any AMET or police actions. This will last for a couple of days, not longer. To solve the problem forever, they just have to let people kill window cleaners without prosecution for doing that. Just imagine, the new law that says "Somebody splashed dirty water on your windshield? Fire some shots in him and continue driving." Tomorrow there will be no such thing as window cleaners. Brutal force is the only way to deal with that sh1t.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
You know what's in that water they use to clean your windshields at the intersections? Pee-Pee... Just turn on your Wipers and they will get the message..

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
i got out once with a stick and boy could he run.....always waved at me after that... but sometimes its good...

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
its because i usually wash my own vehicle...used to be a private house window washer so my windows are usually sparkling clean polished...bright...and some rag wiper comes to upgrade my work...???

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
The guys who wash your windows are normally homeless. Nobody would choose to do this unless they were desperate. Every time they stop me, I just think of how unimaginably tough their lives must be. I know that some people on DR1 are biologically incapable of thinking of anyone apart from themselves, but maybe 10 pesos isn't too heavy a price to pay to help a poor person. And outside the gated communities, this is a poor country.

beastwood

Jun 30, 2011
Dominicans are a resourceful bunch...in the US it is a rare sight to see some one actually "working for food". Intersection
Begging is rampant in some areas of the US. " will work for food"... Bullsh&t. At least in the DR people actually are attempting
to generate income by selling all manner of things at the intersections. None of the Dominicans I know complain about it...
flip on the wipers, or a flip of the wrist and they (usually) go away...or pay 10 pesos and move
On.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
The guys who wash your windows are normally homeless. Nobody would choose to do this unless they were desperate. Every time they stop me, I just think of how unimaginably tough their lives must be. I know that some people on DR1 are biologically incapable of thinking of anyone apart from themselves, but maybe 10 pesos isn't too heavy a price to pay to help a poor person. And outside the gated communities, this is a poor country.

If you live in Santo Domingo and commute in the central city area you will be harassed at nearly every intersection so your stated generosity could cost you hundreds pesos daily.

These guys plague Santo Domingo and whilst the guys that sell water and phone cards can be useful, I don't have pity on the windscreen cleaners who are a nuisance and my pesos will go selectively to the one legged guy or the blind guy in a wheel chair.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

i'm bored with the righteous posts like this. most of those rats washing windows are drug users and small fry criminals. i have no pity on them. YAWN. and i am certainly not paying for a service i did not order or ask for, no matter how little it cost. you can give away your money, for all i care. but stay away form what's mine.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
The worst are the windshield wiper sellers. aggressive, rude

Occasionally I get my windshield washed.

I buy alcanfor (camphor) frequently; saves me a trip to the farmacia and it's the same price. I have five dogs and cloro, pine oil, Mistolin and alcanfor keep the odors down.

I buy water. The good sellers freeze the water and when you buy it it's still cold with a chunk of ice in it.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
To me the first step would be to stop the motos and some cars from running red lights.
Der Fish

Please do not attempt to use logic and reason in such manners.

Stopping the windshield washers is a good thing.

Most of these guys are total degenerates, they like to threaten my life when I don't want their service. They can f*ck right off!!
If I gave 10 pesos to every person who asked me here I would be the one begging for money!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Every time I drive to Santo Domingo I make sure I have about 100 pesos in ten and five peso coins. Sometimes there are beggars and other times there aren't. I've yet to have my windshield cleaner- just unlucky I guess. same in Santiago.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
i'm bored with the righteous posts like this. most of those rats washing windows are drug users and small fry criminals. i have no pity on them. YAWN. and i am certainly not paying for a service i did not order or ask for, no matter how little it cost. you can give away your money, for all i care. but stay away form what's mine.

Well said but you forgot the part about running them over and turning their cut-off ears in at the fiscalia to collect the bounty...

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
I don't believe in any AMET or police actions. This will last for a couple of days, not longer. To solve the problem forever, they just have to let people kill window cleaners without prosecution for doing that. Just imagine, the new law that says "Somebody splashed dirty water on your windshield? Fire some shots in him and continue driving." Tomorrow there will be no such thing as window cleaners. Brutal force is the only way to deal with that sh1t.

This has already been tried.

Matan de un tiro a

It actually held the others back for a while