Guard Commits Suicide

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Please let me correct the facts. The suicide took place in the Cooperativa in Maimon (Bonao) earlier this week. He was the watchiman. The video was originally uploaded to facebook. Apparently, the guy was well known and liked. The Mayor of Maimon posted some pictures of the funeral on his Facebook page. RIP

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Are they sure this was a suicide and not a terrible accident ? ... and yes i watched the video several times..
People who commit suicide ( dont ask me how i know this).. the last few moments, their Motions are VERY Deliberate and methodical, almost Practiced. Watching this video he clearly has the barrel pointed at himself, but the angle is wrong. like he is just being sloppy about it.
I dont think he shot himself directly in the heart, but i could be wrong. A heart shot or head shot is always the easier way out obviously.
these Watheeman & security guys handle their weapon so sloppily sometimes, and they dont seem to care about the safety on or off.. its pretty scary.. I'm always aware of it when walking by them.
Dont EVER walk in front of a shotgun barrel in the DR, by assuming the safety is on, or its not chambered .. just a tip.

RIP. and Condolences to his family and friends.

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
I am appalled that no one came to his aid. I have seen this more than once here. In my city there would have been numerous people coming to administer first aid and call for help. My city is in Canada. If this man was a friend I would be very upset that no one rushed to his aid and called for emergency help. Pathetic!.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Very Dead

I am appalled that no one came to his aid.

Yes, all fled immediately.
Then two guys came back and had a look behind the desk where the guard fell.
Whether they tried to help the victim or help themselves to something is not known, as the camera did not cover that area.

A 12-gauge shot at such close range in the left chest area usually does not require any help....

donP

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
You can tell he is acting very nervous and distraught. That seemed obvious to me when I watched the video. Apparently, he has financial problems, but fu_ck who doesnt.

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
Are they sure this was a suicide and not a terrible accident ? ... and yes i watched the video several times..
People who commit suicide ( dont ask me how i know this).. the last few moments, their Motions are VERY Deliberate and methodical, almost Practiced. Watching this video he clearly has the barrel pointed at himself, but the angle is wrong. like he is just being sloppy about it.
I dont think he shot himself directly in the heart, but i could be wrong. A heart shot or head shot is always the easier way out obviously.
these Watheeman & security guys handle their weapon so sloppily sometimes, and they dont seem to care about the safety on or off.. its pretty scary.. I'm always aware of it when walking by them.
Dont EVER walk in front of a shotgun barrel in the DR, by assuming the safety is on, or its not chambered .. just a tip.

RIP. and Condolences to his family and friends.

That looked like an accident to me as well. It looked like he was flicking the trigger without even holding the handle. That's why the gun went flying. That nervousness could have just as easily been boredom and then he started fiddling with his gun.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
That looked like an accident to me as well. It looked like he was flicking the trigger without even holding the handle. That's why the gun went flying. That nervousness could have just as easily been boredom and then he started fiddling with his gun.

That's possible. At my condo complex here in Santo Domingo we contracted a security company to provide wachis a few years back. They would rotate them and one night our wachi got drunk and discharged his weapon. The security company discharged him and we discharged the security company.

Now we're back to an employee who catches up on his sleep in the early hours of the morning.

In a related note UASD, the public university here in Santo Trafficjam used to kill the dogs who lived there. Then they had a lot of break ins. Now they tolerate the the dogs because the dogs wake the wachis if something is abnormal.

I love this country. If I writ gud I could write a ton of screenplays just from observing what goes on here.

RIP to the poor guy in the video.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Good Enough or Rather Stupid?

... he clearly has the barrel pointed at himself, but the angle is wrong. like he is just being sloppy about it.
security guys handle their weapon so sloppily sometimes, and they dont seem to care about the safety on or off..

If he wanted to commit suicide, the angle was good enough... :classic:

If he did not want to shoot himself, then he should have learned that you never ever handle a gun with the muzzle pointing towards you.

In either case, I do not call this an 'accident'.... :cross-eye

donP

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If he wanted to commit suicide, the angle was good enough... :classic:

If he did not want to shoot himself, then he should have learned that you never ever handle a gun with the muzzle pointing towards you.

In either case, I do not call this an 'accident'.... :cross-eye

donP

Agreed. He was either trying to kill himself (my opinion) or was deliberately stupid by pointing a shotgun at his body and touching the trigger. Not something I could call an accident in either case. Sad, but true.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
When people are Tired and Bored, they do really stupid things.. plus he is dominican, who as I stated imo handle firearms in the most INAPPROPRIATE fashion I have ever seen, almost like the gun is a Toy. When you have had Firearms training, and even safety course training, you can see certain thngs clear as day, and this man has no respect for that firearm.
Also the push button "crossbolt design" safety wether in front of or behind the trigger guard, on some shotguns especially if well WORN, can snap to safety off , if you drop it on its side like on a table..Sort of like when you drop your IPHONE on the ground and the switch goes to sound OFF..
some can even be set for right or left hand , on off
And the manual safety button can be worn out and just not work at all.

Ironically a person who commits Suicide DOES have respect for their Firearm
but he sadly uses it as a TOOL in a deliberate fashion to off himself and end whatever pain he is in.
there is usually no half ass when someone commits suicide with a firearm like in this video.
so I stand by what I said, it did not look like a Suicide to me.
If anyone wants to challenge my firearm expertise, im all ears.
but tell me this.. if it was a suicide, WHEN exactly did he deliberately push the safety OFF.. please answer that one question.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Button, huh?

...but tell me this.. if it was a suicide, WHEN exactly did he deliberately push the safety OFF..

How come you assume he knew where and what the 'safety button' is? :cross-eye

donP

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
When people are Tired and Bored, they do really stupid things.. plus he is dominican, who as I stated imo handle firearms in the most INAPPROPRIATE fashion I have ever seen, almost like the gun is a Toy. When you have had Firearms training, and even safety course training, you can see certain thngs clear as day, and this man has no respect for that firearm.
Also the push button "crossbolt design" safety wether in front of or behind the trigger guard, on some shotguns especially if well WORN, can snap to safety off , if you drop it on its side like on a table..Sort of like when you drop your IPHONE on the ground and the switch goes to sound OFF..
some can even be set for right or left hand , on off
And the manual safety button can be worn out and just not work at all.

Ironically a person who commits Suicide DOES have respect for their Firearm
but he sadly uses it as a TOOL in a deliberate fashion to off himself and end whatever pain he is in.
there is usually no half ass when someone commits suicide with a firearm like in this video.
so I stand by what I said, it did not look like a Suicide to me.
If anyone wants to challenge my firearm expertise, im all ears.
but tell me this.. if it was a suicide, WHEN exactly did he deliberately push the safety OFF.. please answer that one question.

I have NO firearm training....... but why would his shotgun be pumped in the first place if he was not planning to use it ??
If all shotgun safetys are the same as on mine.......no way anyone would trust it....

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I showed this to my wife and we both see it as a suicide.

If this man was not trying to commit suicide, then he should be duly entered in as a Darwin Awards contestant.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
He looks down a few times to make sure it was pointing in the right place. I know sometimes Dominicans do some silly things but come on, a rifle pointing to your chest?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
to me it does not look like accident. i have seen countless guards with shotguns and they always point downwards or at least sideways. this was such deliberate position and maintained for such a long time before pulling the trigger. truly sad to have to make this kind of decision. rest in peace.