Windows XP

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Remember, i have been asking questions about whether or not to install the new windows xp? well, that itch to play with the new OS just wouldn't go away so I took the risk....
Here is my review of the XP.
Its just great and very colorful.
I was so surprised to see that it installed and configured all of my hardware drivers, just like a PC restore disc (which comes with the new brand name PCs). Only driver which was not available on the xp disc was my modem. I simply had to go to the mother board's website and downloaded the new driver for XP (modem came intregated in motherboard).
Once installed and function (XP) you will notice the Graphics, colors to be very pleasing to the viewer's eyes and makes the computer work more exciting. All the buttons on the browser and other programs are more bigger and easily obtained. The icons are different and more colorful.
The system is as stable as any NT system but has more adminstrative options. Oh, did I say, I am using the professional version of the xp?
I have no problems running any program (ofcourse, i downloaded to latest, Xp compatible, versions of all the programs that I am using.
Here are some tips:
Try to clean install the new operating system (OS). Which means, reformat your drive and install the new OS fresh as opposed to an upgrade over the previous installed operation system (ex: win 95, 98, 2000 etc).
Run the Xp disc on your current system first to see which drivers you would have to update before you wipe your whole hard drive clean. Note: some drivers are not available if your PC is really old. Some manufectures of modems are out of business. When you do a check up on the current system with the XP, it will give you a list of the hardware whose drivers are not available on the XP install CD disc. Now go to the appropriate webpage of the hardware and download the Xp drivers as needed.
Make sure your PC is fast ex: pentium 3 or better. Make sure you must have 256 megs of ram or better. This will ensure you fast performance. Remember, if you have a slow PC ex: below 500 MHZ processor speed and with less than 128 memory of ram, you will be very disappointed with Xp. This new OS is for fast/newer PCs only.
Once installed, you must update the OS system with the new security patches from Microsoft. These new security measures have been adviced by the FBI.
I will keep you all updated with my new toy as I learn and test more features on daily bases.
For now, I enjoy my windows better than sex.
Have a happy new year.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Hi AZB...

I have been running XP for a while now, it works great and hasn't crashed on me once.

Great Advice!

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Hi AZB,

Happy new year! Nice to see you around.

Although as a general rule I pity anybody that says something is better than sex ;) I am glad you posted your review. I was thinking to switch to XP, but being that I have only 92 MB RAM it doesn't seem like a good idea. You've just saved me the money.

Looking forward to more of your amusing posts.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
AZB,
I just bought a new computer that came with the home version of XP on it. While I like most of what I've seen so far, its different arrangement has taken some getting used to (just like this new DR1 board!) and it has caused me some software problems. When I upgraded from Win 95 to Win 98 and then Win 2000, most of my software programs were unaffected. But I've had several problems here, including a flat refusal from XP to install my Norton Utilities suite, and a system crash due to XP's dislike of my HP Scanjet's software.
Regards,
Keith

Loren

Jan 1, 2002
XP

As a former Microsoft dealer I used to be one of the first ones to run out and install the latest OS on my machine. I drew the line with XP though. Microsoft has not been able to make a demonstrable case for the upgrade other than to continue their revenue stream and the boost the fortunes of their beleagured OEM's like Compaq, Gateway & HP.

I am running Win2k and it is great. The best I can discern, Microsoft has redone the graphics and upped the hardware requirements to encourage you to buy another PC.

The stuff like Smart-tags and that registration scheme are features I DON'T want!

Am I missing something in XP that I don't have in 2000 Pro? If so, Microsoft has not done a good job of presenting a compelling case.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Loren, you have a point

I have only used Win 95 and 98 2nd edition on my PCs so, for me, Xp was a major upgrade. I was just thrilled with the graphics and the layout in various vibrant colors. I like the fact that each task is better explained just by pointing your mouse over it. Now that I have seen windows 2000 functioning flawlessly in my friend's PC, I have concluded Xp as a better dressed version of windows 2000. The only other features that I admire the most about XP is that it has a better interface with graphics and viewing pictures and documents. If you are into making home movies or editing videos, then Xp is for you.
Among other things, XP also has a winzip type program built-in to open up zip files in an instant. Downloading feature allows you to continue downloading from where you have been left-off (in case the internet connection was interrupted).
I like the fact that My modem is working much faster and my downloads are coming down at blazing speeds. The webpages load up much faster and with a few tweaking (fine tuning of the XP) I was able to increase the performance of the whole OS system. Look for webpages on google.com for windows tweaking tricks.