Best land travel from Santa Domingo to Cabarete

dkurtz

Jan 2, 2002
Hi,
I have lots of USAirways frequent flier miles and want to visit the DR. The only place they fly to in the DR is Santa Domingo but I want to take the family to Cabarete to windsurf. I thought the land route from Santa Domingo to Cabarete would be more interesting than taking the local airline up to POP. Is there charter bus service that will get me close? What about renting a car and driving up? We'd love to see the countryside but don't want to take chances having two young children with us.

Thanks,
Dave

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Land Travel from SD to Cabarette

Car rental is an easy possibility. There are many rental companies to choose from. However, rental cars are expensive.

Caribe Tour has buses that leave hourly from Santo Domingo for Sosua. These are modern, airconditioned buses. Very comfortable and not crowded. It is like traveling on Greyhound in the US. Sosua is the end of the line on this route, but you can take a taxi from the bus station to Cabarette for RD$100-200. The taxi will take you right to your hotel.

Bus fare from SD on Caribe Tour is RD$100/person.

You cost for the trip by bus/taxi will be considerably less than you will pay for a rental car, you'll see about as much of the country, and you'll be spared the tension of dealing with unfamiliar roads, Dominican drivers, and potholes in the road.

From SD to Sosua the bus trip takes about 4 hours, including 15 minute stop in Santiago and 5 minutes in Puerto Plata. The taxi to Cabarete will take about 15 minutes.

Regards, Ken

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Ken has this down pat. Definitely take the Caribe Tours bus from SD to Sosua for $100RD per person. There is a taxi stand at the Sosua bus stop (end of line)...they are tan colored cabs, with posted rates. They will take you where you need to go.

Don't drive in SD with a rental car and your family. Once you have ridden on the bus, you can decide if you want to rent a car from Cabarete.

Good luck, and I hope you make it to the North Coast!

marc

jtc2433

Jan 1, 2002
caribe tour

Caribe tour is the way to go. I have van in cabarete and I know the roads . put take bus . The taxi from airport to caribe tour 250 -300 $rd good luck

doug

Jan 1, 2002
Bus or Taxi

Bus is the cheapest and safest way to, but if you have a few children as mentioned, and you and your wife....then you have multiple fairs...and the difference between a taxi and the bus gets narrowed....therefore the taxi starts to look more appealing.....with a taxi you can stop along the way if you or your children see something interesting (something that can't be done on a bus)and you can stop for something to eat and a stretch as well. If you have no itinerary, you might want to stop for a few hours and have a look see somewhere along the way. The Taxis are very safe and the Govt. has recently purchased (I believe it's the govt.)nice new mini-vans that would be comfortable room wise as well. Hope you have a good time, and remember to come back and post what you chose, the price, and how you enjoyed your trip! Looking forward to your reply......Take Care Dave and Family!!!!!

Martin Bentham

Jan 6, 2002
Travel from Santa Domingo

I totally agree with the others...do not even think about driving from the Airport at S.D. to the North coast and do not trust a flight either !
Although there is a freeway from the north side of S.D. to Santiago, the standard of driving is horrific and finding the freeway from the airport is a nightmare.
Definitely, the bus is the best alternative, as recommended previously. I personally, would not try the taxi from S.D.. Too hazardous again unless you get one of the Nissan minibuses mentioned in the previous reply !
The other alternative, which could be good for you is to take the USAir flight into San Juan and then fly on American Eagle direct to Puerta Plate. It is a good service which I have used quite a few times.
Cabarete is definitely the place to go. If help is needed with regard to recommending hotels, let me know, as I was resident in the DR for 18 months and used to spend my weekends there.
Martin

Nisa

Jan 23, 2002
Land Travel

The first time I visited DR, I booked us onto a flight to Santo Domingo....but our hotel was near Sosua! I thought my spanish must have gotten rusty when I finally asked the cab driver how much longer to the hotel. A very funny story now! And one I'll never live down...a friend had given us a week at his time share, and in all of my (fairly extensive) research I had never pulled up a map of the place! A result of visiting much smaller areas in the past, with only one airport! At any rate - we took a taxi from the airport, which was a minivan and would fit a family comfortably, had a heck of a tour (after the initial shock wore off) and it took about 4 hours to get there. We paid $140 U.S. for the trip plus a tip. I don't think I would want to rent a car, you're on vacation and driving in a new place (especially with children) can be very stressful, especially with different driving styles! Just an idea for an alternative that would probably be more convenient than a bus if you have much luggage. Good luck!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think Nisa might have the 'best'answer for you and the family

If you can get a minivan for say US$160, right there in the airport, I think that would be the best.

Sure, you can save a few bucks if you get a taxifrom the airport to Caribe Tours in Santo Domingo, then the bus to Sosua and then the taxi to Cabarete.

BUT, if you do what Nisa suggests, you can stop and eat at the "T?pico Bonao" about halfway, enjoy some good food and beer. Stop and take a look-see at the handicrafts and stuff on the way into Santiago. And since you will take the Turismo Highway to Puerto Plata, you can stop and buy fruits at the wayside stands. Try the small bananas that taste like apples!

All this and you will probably get there sooner, have a new "best"buddy and know a lot more of the countryside...

HB