Fresh fish market - north coast

VIMAN68

Feb 15, 2013
Hola...I searched the threads, but came up empty. Is there a fresh fish market on the North Coast? or a place where you can purchase fish/seafood directly from the fisherman just off the boat? I'm trying to shift my diet to being more of a pescatarian, with just an occasional pollo o chivo relapse :)

jfk-tampa

Jul 28, 2007
there is another fish market right past janets going towards sabaneta . also they have fishing boats that sometimes go out on cabarete beach and come back in around 2 or 3 pm and you can buy from them. also they sometimes have fish brought in on sousa beach

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
VIMAN,
There are two sources of Fresh fish near Sosua. One is the guy that stands on the corner of La Mulata Rd and the Main Highway from agbout 9 am most mornings. He has fish caught that morning and it is what every he caught. They are gutted but not as far as I can see descaled.
The other source in the fishermans port under El Tablon , in Charamicos. They fish there early in the morning and it is possible to get filletted fish there about 10 or 11 am. To find it is difficult. You go into Charamicos , first right before the traffic lights towards the School and Bandstand. Go straight across the junction and follow the road round - it is a one way system , You will come to a y fork , turn Right again until you get to a road going left with a green painted colmado on the corner, go up that road, and you will get to a three was split,to the right, take the middle rough road that leads down the hill. Follow for about 1.5 Km and at the beach go to you left and the pescadoria is there. You will see the boats pulled up any way. And you are there.
Hope that helps.

Olly and the Team

Dash

Dec 26, 2009
How is your Spanish? I know some fishermen in Villa Magante that have fresh fish daily, but they don't speak English. PM me for their number if interested.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
or as i did give the fishing guys gas money and go with them ... i went nuts when a guy walked past me with two huge fish on a pole ...about 10-15 lbs each.... money money

fifilein

Mar 24, 2011
The other source in the fishermans port under El Tablon , in Charamicos. They fish there early in the morning and it is possible to get filletted fish there about 10 or 11 am. To find it is difficult. You go into Charamicos , first right before the traffic lights towards the School and Bandstand. Go straight across the junction and follow the road round - it is a one way system , You will come to a y fork , turn Right again until you get to a road going left with a green painted colmado on the corner, go up that road, and you will get to a three was split,to the right, take the middle rough road that leads down the hill. Follow for about 1.5 Km and at the beach go to you left and the pescadoria is there. You will see the boats pulled up any way. And you are there.
Hope that helps.

Hi Olly,

any chance that you can 'mark' the point somewhere on the map? or give me some kind of street names (at least according to google maps)

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Los+Charamicos,+Sosúa,+Dominican+Republic

my trip trying to find the pescaderia/fisher boats was not very successful.

The only thing I think I got correct was the right turn before Caribe Tours (Eleuterio Brito), after that I was on a nice sightseeing tour (more or less) but came home empty.

Thank you

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Make a right off the highway @ Caribe Tours, make first left, "Gregorio Luperon" take that road all the way until you hit the water.

The boats are all @ the beach, a few hundred meters to the left towards the river, you can't miss them. My guess is they pull in with fish mid morning???

fifilein

Mar 24, 2011
Make a right off the highway @ Caribe Tours, make first left, "Gregorio Luperon" take that road all the way until you hit the water.

The boats are all @ the beach, a few hundred meters to the left towards the river, you can't miss them. My guess is they pull in with fish mid morning???

Thank you. Was there at around 1030am and lots of boats were already there.

Bought a 7lbs tuna for 140dop/lbs and gave the guy another 200 who filet it for me. The filet weighted around 4lbs then.