Advice for selling a house

Taylor

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Jan 28, 2005
I'm considering selling my house, and want to get an opinion on how to best do it.

A bit about the house:
Dislindered. Beachfront. Between Kite Beach and Encuentro, in Cabarete. Never had a problem with title or security. Reason for selling - don't use it as much as I used to.

Things that I'm tying to figure out

1) Real estate agents. It seem like people just list with multiple agents, as there's no rules about exclusive. The 10% seems high, especially when it doesn't feel like the agencies do much other than show people. Does anyone have an experience with a agency that puts in a solid effort at marketing ?

2) Market timing. With the Russians and Canadians taking a hit on their currency, are the Americans finally buying? I think it was last year that someone told me that only things in the $200K range were selling

3) Vendor mortgage - Are there problems with offering a mortgage to the buyer to make it easier to sell?

Thanks in advance

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I agree that agency fees here are exhorbitant. I would try selling the place privately before resorting to them if you are actually here. You can advertise on sites like this one or "Everything Cabarete" on Facebook.

Market timing is an impossible art, but I can't see prices going through the roof any time soon.

I don't think a vendor mortgage should be too much of a problem provided it is all tied up by a professional, reputable lawyer, but others may disagree.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I'm considering selling my house, and want to get an opinion on how to best do it.

A bit about the house:
Dislindered. Beachfront. Between Kite Beach and Encuentro, in Cabarete. Never had a problem with title or security. Reason for selling - don't use it as much as I used to.

Things that I'm tying to figure out

1) Real estate agents. It seem like people just list with multiple agents, as there's no rules about exclusive. The 10% seems high, especially when it doesn't feel like the agencies do much other than show people. Does anyone have an experience with a agency that puts in a solid effort at marketing ?

2) Market timing. With the Russians and Canadians taking a hit on their currency, are the Americans finally buying? I think it was last year that someone told me that only things in the $200K range were selling

3) Vendor mortgage - Are there problems with offering a mortgage to the buyer to make it easier to sell?

Thanks in advance

Find a real estate agent that is willing to accept less than 10%. That is high and it is usually negotiable. Do not try to sell it yourself. You will not get the exposure and if you are not around well nothing is going to get done. Offering to a mortgage in a foreign country to foreign buyers is a little risky. You are better off to get your money and be done with it. Make sure you price it right. If you really want to sell the place than make the price attractive if not sit on it until you get your price. Good luck.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
No they will not market because they do not have the exclusive and everything is for sale... depends on the price...

If you really want to sell, put it with Caldwell or Southebys or at least a local agent that has international presence

then do your own web page .. have it translated into Russian, Spanish, French..

Then direct it to your exclusive agent..

Talk to Guzman about offering a mortgage. I have heard of this being done successfully with commercial properties but do not know about private properties

Taylor

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Jan 28, 2005
I had it professionally appraised when I was thinking of taking a mortgage on it, and it's in line with what I would accept.

Lots to digest. Thanks for the help.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
1. Audit your agent’s online marketing : This means you need to compell the buyers to choose your selling material. As compelling here means you can upload photos of your house, which will compell the buyer to have a look once.
2.Post a video of your home on YouTube : You can post video of different Portions of your home as, displaying factor will attract buyers.
3.Facebook your home’s listing: Facebook is great connecting technique these days. If you have 150 friends and further each one of them have 150 friends, imagine the power of network you can build to sell your home and for its promotion.

You realize this post is a year and half old. The original poster probably already did what he wanted to do. All of your ideas are good but in the DR it is very difficult to sell a home yourself. You don't have to exposure of realtor websites. You don't have a realtor to take potential buyers to view the property. This gentleman said he didn't use the property very much which tellls me he is not in the DR very often. It is nearly impossible to sell it yourself if you are not there. I have done it both ways and never have had any luck selling it myself.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
You realize this post is a year and half old. The original poster probably already did what he wanted to do. All of your ideas are good but in the DR it is very difficult to sell a home yourself. You don't have to exposure of realtor websites. You don't have a realtor to take potential buyers to view the property. This gentleman said he didn't use the property very much which tellls me he is not in the DR very often. It is nearly impossible to sell it yourself if you are not there. I have done it both ways and never have had any luck selling it myself.

I think Cedric has left the building.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Although it is an old thread, but I guess listing your house into the online property listing sites is the easy way.
 problem with DR online sales it's terribly out of date!! 1/2 listings are old and sold long ago :(

Marekstachura

Jul 4, 2017
If you want to sell with good exposure then go for a Real estate agent who knows the market rate and he'll take only 10% commission. Hire a real estate agent and tell his/her all facilities in your property, How much do you want. Make sure you demanding very genuinely price. If you really want to sell the place then make a place attractive and clean.

Hope it will help!

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
If you want to sell with good exposure then go for a Real estate agent who knows the market rate and he'll take only 10% commission. Hire a real estate agent and tell his/her all facilities in your property, How much do you want. Make sure you demanding very genuinely price. If you really want to sell the place then make a place attractive and clean.
Hope it will help!

Just wake up?