Restaurants

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
Coming down to SDO in May from USA. In the past only been to Punta Cana resorts.
Staying in the Gazcue area. Any recommendations for food and drink nearby. Thanks

businessdr

Oct 8, 2011
Coming down to SDO in May from USA. In the past only been to Punta Cana resorts.
Staying in the Gazcue area. Any recommendations for food and drink nearby. Thanks

Take the metro a few blocks away, and go to Agora Mall. All the restaurants are there. Across the street you will have IKEA, and galleria 360 which has food as well.

For a more authentic, but gringo experience, take a taxi from Gazcue to the Zona Colonial. But go towards the afternoon around 6 pm, so you don't get cooked in the sun.

Be careful after dark, especially of motorbikes and people walking closely behind you. Have fun!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
On Casimira de Moira.. between Pasteur and Cervantes.. a little place formerlly called Louis Phillippe.. now called TIpico Dominicano.. best small place for lunch..very crowded at peak lunch but if you wait too long they will run out of chicken liver.. their pasta with chicken or fish is better than places for twice the price

Across the street from there is a Dominican place that serves the most excellent desserts...! AYEEEE the chocolate cakes.

Also Ananda which is vegetarian and has a sort of garden cafeteria .. live music, I have heard, on Fridays..

Also right opposite La Cadena.. outdoors.. the diner -- line up ... decent Dominican .. outside.. get a table in the shade and sit.. also go after the noon rush.. best place to meet the locals. Lawyers and such from the Court on the corner stop for lunch.

The cafeterias both at Clinic Abreu and Centro Gynocologo are very clean, air conditioned, fast, cheap and decent.

Not to forget Hermanos Villar on the corner of Pasteur and Independencia.. where you can simply spend the day .. full service from breakfast to lunch, to dinner. sit all afternoon in air conditioning.. watching the folks go by... bakery in the back.. or eat in the garden BEST coffee in the Hood..

More upscale is right across the park behind Clinic Abreu.. opposite the Boyscouts.. in a Hotel.. tableclothes. amazing food-- must be Swiss? because they have fondue and rosti but make a wonderful shishikabab of chicken....

The Nabu restuarant in Hotel Crowne Plaza is excellent.. they have the MOST amazing lambchops. Great service.. all around excellence

I have not been to the Sheraton since they closed their pool to the public.. I assume they have a restaurant.. The Hilton's food is mediocre..

There is excellent Charrasco at a little place called Charlie's .. it has a wooden front.. on the side street off the Malecon..one down from the Centro Cultural.

And my all time favorite..is Cappucino's which is on the edge of Gazcue.. across from the Texaco station. Amazing home made pasta..home made ice creams.. great dishes.. reasonable prices.. great service. never disappoints..

And there are others.. but .. that should be enough for a month.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Take the metro a few blocks away, and go to Agora Mall. All the restaurants are there. Across the street you will have IKEA, and galleria 360 which has food as well.

For a more authentic, but gringo experience, take a taxi from Gazcue to the Zona Colonial. But go towards the afternoon around 6 pm, so you don't get cooked in the sun.

Be careful after dark, especially of motorbikes and people walking closely behind you. Have fun!

an authentic...but gringo....experience.

i am befuddled.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
On Casimira de Moira.. between Pasteur and Cervantes.. a little place formerlly called Louis Phillippe.. now called TIpico Dominicano.. best small place for lunch..very crowded at peak lunch but if you wait too long they will run out of chicken liver.. their pasta with chicken or fish is better than places for twice the price

Across the street from there is a Dominican place that serves the most excellent desserts...! AYEEEE the chocolate cakes.

Also Ananda which is vegetarian and has a sort of garden cafeteria .. live music, I have heard, on Fridays..

Also right opposite La Cadena.. outdoors.. the diner -- line up ... decent Dominican .. outside.. get a table in the shade and sit.. also go after the noon rush.. best place to meet the locals. Lawyers and such from the Court on the corner stop for lunch.

The cafeterias both at Clinic Abreu and Centro Gynocologo are very clean, air conditioned, fast, cheap and decent.

Not to forget Hermanos Villar on the corner of Pasteur and Independencia.. where you can simply spend the day .. full service from breakfast to lunch, to dinner. sit all afternoon in air conditioning.. watching the folks go by... bakery in the back.. or eat in the garden BEST coffee in the Hood..

More upscale is right across the park behind Clinic Abreu.. opposite the Boyscouts.. in a Hotel.. tableclothes. amazing food-- must be Swiss? because they have fondue and rosti but make a wonderful shishikabab of chicken....

The Nabu restuarant in Hotel Crowne Plaza is excellent.. they have the MOST amazing lambchops. Great service.. all around excellence

I have not been to the Sheraton since they closed their pool to the public.. I assume they have a restaurant.. The Hilton's food is mediocre..

There is excellent Charrasco at a little place called Charlie's .. it has a wooden front.. on the side street off the Malecon..one down from the Centro Cultural.

And my all time favorite..is Cappucino's which is on the edge of Gazcue.. across from the Texaco station. Amazing home made pasta..home made ice creams.. great dishes.. reasonable prices.. great service. never disappoints..

You're mentioning all that and you don't mention El Conuco? Also in Casimiro de Moya, right behind Jaragua. They have lunch buffet and a la carte at lunch and for dinner. Typical Dominican food, recently completely restyled and updated menu.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
look for other people eating in sitting down and try....lunch is an important meal so most local places are done at 2pm out of food etc closing...

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
You're mentioning all that and you don't mention El Conuco? Also in Casimiro de Moya, right behind Jaragua. They have lunch buffet and a la carte at lunch and for dinner. Typical Dominican food, recently completely restyled and updated menu.

i don't much like the food there.. like i do not like the food at Adrian Tropical. I figure that any tourist guide will have those two listed and the OP wanted some local input. El Conuco caters to bus loads of tourists coming in from Punta Cana for the afternoon.. the pollo guisado at the corner is better and about a tenth the price. Ok they do have the silly dancing show.. good for tourists. been a couple of times .. with tourists.. but not on my list.

the restaurant on Independencia right across from the Jauragua .. with the green awning.. attached to Hotel Raizor has better food..

for steam table.. well.. as
I said.. across from La Cadena .. and up Pasteur .. on the way to the new italian gelato place.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
i don't much like the food there.. like i do not like the food at Adrian Tropical. I figure that any tourist guide will have those two listed and the OP wanted some local input. El Conuco caters to bus loads of tourists coming in from Punta Cana for the afternoon.. the pollo guisado at the corner is better and about a tenth the price. Ok they do have the silly dancing show.. good for tourists. been a couple of times .. with tourists.. but not on my list.

the restaurant on Independencia right across from the Jauragua .. with the green awning.. attached to Hotel Raizor has better food..

for steam table.. well.. as
I said.. across from La Cadena .. and up Pasteur .. on the way to the new italian gelato place.
How long has it been you went there. It's not at all like it was before.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Take a taxi to the Colonial Zone. There are many choices of restaurants and bars.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002

Excellent info. Hermanos Villar is excellent and very clean. Also Pacos at La Puerta del Conde as well as Meson di Bari on Calle Hostos. Also Cantabrico is an Iconic restaurant with excellent food and service at upscale prices. On the Malecon there is Adrian Tropical as well as D'Luis Parrilada. Been to all of them so I could recommend.

Last edited:

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Another good place is La F?brica Contempor?nea on Calle Dane #4. A nice funky atmosphere place, also most everything thing in there is recycled from other things ( not the food, lol). Check out their face book page because the menu changes and they have live music.

For quick bites try new empanada place across from New Jersey Drink. Can't remember the address but it's a block from the court house. Also next to the Drink is a good Chicharrones spot.

If you are a cigar smoker and can tell you a few places also.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Another good place is La F?brica Contempor?nea on Calle Dane #4. A nice funky atmosphere place, also most everything thing in there is recycled from other things ( not the food, lol). Check out their face book page because the menu changes and they have live music.

For quick bites try new empanada place across from New Jersey Drink. Can't remember the address but it's a block from the court house. Also next to the Drink is a good Chicharrones spot.

If you are a cigar smoker and can tell you a few places also.

I have heard the Fabrica may need to move or close. Rumor has it la duena of the building is selling. My buddy is one of the owners of the gest house next door.
May also be sold. . .

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
How long has it been you went there. It's not at all like it was before.

if you mean El Conuco?

i went twice before i saw the buses from punta cana pull up

why would i bother to go to anywhere which caters to busloads of people from punta cana

and puts on a floor show of tipico dancing?

i see the locals dancing at the colmado
see i actually go out in the street alone

even after dark

even walking

but no restaurant gets more than two tries from me.

my remaining days are too few

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
if you mean El Conuco?

i went twice before i saw the buses from punta cana pull up

why would i bother to go to anywhere which caters to busloads of people from punta cana

and puts on a floor show of tipico dancing?

i see the locals dancing at the colmado
see i actually go out in the street alone

even after dark

even walking

but no restaurant gets more than two tries from me.

my remaining days are too few

When El Conuco changed owner they moved away from catering tourists and are more focused on (a little more expensive) Dominican 'gourmet'. Changed the menu, changed their focus public more and more to the local Dominican that is looking for good authentic Dominican food, the absent Dominican when visiting and the local Dominican receiving guests from abroad and wants to show them Dominican folklore and food.

(Disclaimer I'm not getting paid or benefitting in any other way from El Conuco. I just think they did a good job reinventing a 24 year old restaurant that was practically bankrupt and now flourishing again. I'm not completely impartial though, did a consultancy job for them a few years ago.)

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
I have heard the Fabrica may need to move or close. Rumor has it la duena of the building is selling. My buddy is one of the owners of the gest house next door.
May also be sold. . .

Ahh that's a bummer, I like sitting there after eating and just relaxing.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
When El Conuco changed owner they moved away from catering tourists and are more focused on (a little more expensive) Dominican 'gourmet'. Changed the menu, changed their focus public more and more to the local Dominican that is looking for good authentic Dominican food, the absent Dominican when visiting and the local Dominican receiving guests from abroad and wants to show them Dominican folklore and food.

(Disclaimer I'm not getting paid or benefitting in any other way from El Conuco. I just think they did a good job reinventing a 24 year old restaurant that was practically bankrupt and now flourishing again. I'm not completely impartial though, did a consultancy job for them a few years ago.)

I love the Chivo there, enough for two people. I've never seen it packed, but that doesn't bother me. That damn 28 percent tax does.
:mad:

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I was recently at El Conuco, and I am sorry but the food was still mediocre. Everyone goes there at least once but it's more for the "atmosphere" I think. For something different you could try Meson de la Cava on Ave Mirador Sur.