JetBlue asked if I had a return ticket or DR residency

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
When flying back from Florida to Santo Domingo yesterday, the agent at check-in for Jet Blue asked me if I had a return ticket out of the DR. I showed the agent my residency and all was good. If I did not have DR residency I would have been forced to purchase a return ticket.

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
I've flown one way tickets to DR for years -- never asked about a R/T ticket.

But for $10 I can make a fake residency cedula, laminated and everything. As if some gate lice clerk can discern if it's real or not.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
That happened to me about 12 years ago, when I lived here for the first time and my residence had void. They forced me to buy a ticket out of DR. I purchased a usd1000 100% refundable ticket to San Juan and asked for a refund once I was in Santo Domingo.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Windeguy,

Did you notice if any info from your residency card was entered into the check-in computer?

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
That happened to me about 12 years ago, when I lived here for the first time and my residence had void. They forced me to buy a ticket out of DR. I purchased a usd1000 100% refundable ticket to San Juan and asked for a refund once I was in Santo Domingo.

That's a good way to rack up miles/points if you're careful. Real careful.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I've flown one way tickets to DR for years -- never asked about a R/T ticket.

But for $10 I can make a fake residency cedula, laminated and everything. As if some gate lice clerk can discern if it's real or not.

Lying to an airline Rep is a good way to get banned from an airline.
Presenting false documents is a crime in the US and is a good way to get checked into an AI for the night, or longer.

I'm sure you jest.

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
Windeguy,

Did you notice if any info from your residency card was entered into the check-in computer?

Yeah, Jetblue now has online access to DR's residency database that hasn't even come into effect yet.

Spare us the Smug Routine about residency and the FEAR factor.

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
Lying to an airline Rep is a good way to get banned from an airline.
Presenting false documents is a crime in the US and is a good way to get checked into an AI for the night, or longer.

I'm sure you jest.

When you live in a plastic bubble everything looks like a pin, doesn't it?

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
You just need to show a ticket out of the country. A bus ticket to Haiti will work.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Yeah, Jetblue now has online access to DR's residency database that hasn't even come into effect yet..

No, I'm wondering if the residency ID # was added to the passenger info on the flight manifest that is sent to the DR in advance of the flight.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
I got asked by AA once. I just told them my company hadn't bought my return ticket yet. They were cool with it.

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
20282groupofschoolgirls.jpg

"So this gringo from way far away paid thousands of dollars for a plastic card that nobody cares about. And he gets mad when nobody asks to see it. Sometimes he shows it to strangers or the police and says, 'look at it, see how good it looks.' My mom said to keep away from him."

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
No, I'm wondering if the residency ID # was added to the passenger info on the flight manifest that is sent to the DR in advance of the flight.

As very recent news about delays at check in a SDQ, they now have the ability to determine if persons of Dominican origin but now US nationals have residency or not............think about it....they have that database of cedulas in the system now is a likely explanation.

Open return tickets or bus tickets to Haiti needed then......

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Windeguy,

They started to enter mine one time and then they realized it would expire while I was out of the U.S. At which point they wanted to see a return ticket. Which, that time, I had. So, yes they were going to enter it, but into what database I do not know.

I was going to Santo Domingo to renew that time, so everything was current the next time - but they did not ask about return ticket. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. And yes, they explained to me one time that they get a big fine or penalty if someone does not return within the 30 days...

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
But, when I came to the DR this time on AA, they did not ask. Very inconsistent.

Of course, AA also told everyone on that plane they did not need to fill out the customs form either. They said you needed to do it only if you had purchased tobacco or alcohol at the duty free store in the U.S. Wtf? Completely wrong information. Everyone had to fill out the customs form when we got to the airport to enter the DR. I asked them twice about this on the plane. I thought maybe they had figured out that they never look at it at PUJ. But they take it anyway. There was the same guy with a fistfull of them...

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
20282groupofschoolgirls.jpg

"So this gringo from way far away paid thousands of dollars for a plastic card that nobody cares about. And he gets mad when nobody asks to see it. Sometimes he shows it to strangers or the police and says, 'look at it, see how good it looks.' My mom said to keep away from him."

a few thousands pesos, that's it. Guess you need to save all you cash to feed your bad habits.