View Poll Results: How would you rate the dictionary?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 - Excellent

1 33.33%

1 33.33%
  • 3 - Good

0 0%

1 33.33%
  • 1 - Could be much better.

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Diccionario del español dominicano (Dominican Spanish Dictionary)

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I need this dictionary. And for one reason: Aunque yo sea pariguayo, 'toy cansao de me cojan de mojiganga. With this dictionary at my disposal, lo voá poné claro a to'.

2. Likes Criss Colon liked this post
    Moderator - North Coast Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

i'm not really interested in learning dominican spanish. but i have a book called del vocabulario dominicano by emilio rodrigues demorizi which is as amusing as my mother in law: booooring.

North Coast Moderator

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier_Onassis View Post
    A dictionary is unlikely to help anyone with faulty grammar: that is not the purpose of a dictionary. This dictionary seeks, according to what the Diario Libre article says, to
    give examples of words and phrases and their meanings that are unique to Spanish as spoken in the DR. Since I have not read this dictionary, I am unable to comment on how well it does its intended job.

Nearly every Spanish speaking country has an affiliate of the Academia Real de la Lengua Española, and defining a changing language in their particular region is of the major purposes of these affiliates.

The average Dominican is no more likely to own and use this dictionary regularly than the average American is liely to own and consult the OED regularly.

If you do not understand what the OED is, you are a typical American, by the way.
    I delivered the newspaper Newsday as a boy. I used he money for a subscription the the nyt which included the compact version of the OED. It had a magnifying glass in a little drawer. I gave it up in my twenties when I reduced my belonging to two duffle bags. I was attempting to practice conscious poverty. What a schmuck I was.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I suppose the practice of conscious poverty might involve some lessons in a place like Thailand, where all young Buddhist men are expected to shave their heads, join a monastery and beg for food for a year of meditation, Buddhist lessons and humility.
    But this does not work very well, or at all, in this country.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Where in Santo Domingo can I buy a copy ?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Carabum View Post
    Where in Santo Domingo can I buy a copy ?
    Try this:

Libreria Cuesta. S. side of Expreso 27 de Febrero just W. of Calle Abraham Lincoln and Supermercado Nacional
    809-473-4020 Open 9AM to 9PM Mon through Sat.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier_Onassis View Post
    Try this:

Libreria Cuesta. S. side of Expreso 27 de Febrero just W. of Calle Abraham Lincoln and Supermercado Nacional
    809-473-4020 Open 9AM to 9PM Mon through Sat.
    Thank you.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

If they do not have it, Google "libreria dominicana".

I visited this store decades ago, but it is the one that got the best ratings online.

Post Thanks / Like

Cuesta should have it.
    Moderator East Coast Forum

www.DR1.com

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Librería Cuesta website (Detalles de Artículos) claims that the dictionary is out of stock.

The Academia Dominicana de la Lengua (Academia Dominicana de la Lengua) claims that the dictionary is available at the bookstore of Gaceta Judicial and they will also deliver free of charge within SD.

Moderator Polls Forum

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast