Diccionario del espa?ol dominicano (Dominican Spanish Dictionary)

How would you rate the dictionary?

• 5 - Excellent

Votes: 1 33.3%

• 3 - Good

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 - Could be much better.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Considering that DR1 has a well visited forum dedicated to the Spanish language, particularly Dominican Spanish; there probably are many DR1ers that have their own copy of this dictionary and might be able to give their opinions of the strengths, the weaknesses, and possibly certain words or expressions that might have been left out. With almost 800 pages and thousands of words, its not likely that a word might have been forgotten by the authors, but its much more likely that new words or expressions might first reach the authors via this thread and might incorporate them in future editions.

The dictionary focuses on words and expressions that are uniquely Dominican, whether they are local inventions or traditional Spanish (or borrowed from other languages) words that in Dominican Spanish have a completely different meaning than in 'mainstream' Spanish.

image.jpg

Aug 6, 2006
A dictionary is unlikely to help anyone with faulty grammar: that is not the purpose of a dictionary. This dictionary seeks, according to what the Diario Libre article says, to
give examples of words and phrases and their meanings that are unique to Spanish as spoken in the DR. Since I have not read this dictionary, I am unable to comment on how well it does its intended job.

Nearly every Spanish speaking country has an affiliate of the Academia Real de la Lengua Espa?ola, and defining a changing language in their particular region is of the major purposes of these affiliates.

The average Dominican is no more likely to own and use this dictionary regularly than the average American is liely to own and consult the OED regularly.

If you do not understand what the OED is, you are a typical American, by the way.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Considering that DR1 has a well visited forum dedicated to the Spanish language, particularly Dominican Spanish; there probably are many DR1ers that have their own copy of this dictionary and might be able to give their opinions of the strengths, the weaknesses, and possibly certain words or expressions that might have been left out. With almost 800 pages and thousands of words, its not likely that a word might have been forgotten by the authors, but its much more likely that new words or expressions might first reach the authors via this thread and might incorporate them in future editions.

The dictionary focuses on words and expressions that are uniquely Dominican, whether they are local inventions or traditional Spanish (or borrowed from other languages) words that in Dominican Spanish have a completely different meaning than in 'mainstream' Spanish.
Am I the only DR1er with a copy, apart from you?

Aug 6, 2006
Who doesn't know what the OED and the DARE are?
==============================================
I have had entire college classes in which nary a soul knew what OED was.
Occasionally, I was asked to pronounce it.

HS graduates sometimes surprise you with how little they know. I have also had classes in which no one could name the capital of Mexico or Canada.

The really disappointment comes when someone asks "it this gonna be on the test?"
So if you do know, pat yourself on the back. Only once, though.:laugh:

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
I need this dictionary. And for one reason: Aunque yo sea pariguayo, 'toy cansao de me cojan de mojiganga. With this dictionary at my disposal, lo vo? pon? claro a to'.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i'm not really interested in learning dominican spanish. but i have a book called del vocabulario dominicano by emilio rodrigues demorizi which is as amusing as my mother in law: booooring.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
A dictionary is unlikely to help anyone with faulty grammar: that is not the purpose of a dictionary. This dictionary seeks, according to what the Diario Libre article says, to
give examples of words and phrases and their meanings that are unique to Spanish as spoken in the DR. Since I have not read this dictionary, I am unable to comment on how well it does its intended job.

Nearly every Spanish speaking country has an affiliate of the Academia Real de la Lengua Espa?ola, and defining a changing language in their particular region is of the major purposes of these affiliates.

The average Dominican is no more likely to own and use this dictionary regularly than the average American is liely to own and consult the OED regularly.

If you do not understand what the OED is, you are a typical American, by the way.

I delivered the newspaper Newsday as a boy. I used he money for a subscription the the nyt which included the compact version of the OED. It had a magnifying glass in a little drawer. I gave it up in my twenties when I reduced my belonging to two duffle bags. I was attempting to practice conscious poverty. What a schmuck I was.

Aug 6, 2006
I suppose the practice of conscious poverty might involve some lessons in a place like Thailand, where all young Buddhist men are expected to shave their heads, join a monastery and beg for food for a year of meditation, Buddhist lessons and humility.
But this does not work very well, or at all, in this country.

Aug 6, 2006
If they do not have it, Google "libreria dominicana".

I visited this store decades ago, but it is the one that got the best ratings online.