Hotel Franc?s collapsed in Zona Colonial

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
Se derrumba parte del Hotel Franc?s de la Zona Colonial - Diario Libre Movil

One of the nicest hotels in the colonial zone collapsed partly because of the excavations they have been doing around the place. It was closed for a few days already because the owner of the hotel was afraid this could happen, apparently she was right.

Nobody got hurt.

I got married in this hotel, it's a shame to see it's a ruin now.

As i said when they first started this thievery their would be no good outcome. I even sent notice to UNESCO and they did nothing.
The hotel will look Ok with the aluminum bars and colored bricks in the street. I guess no one cares about history and beauty. The first city in the new world the first disaster caused not by nature but by GREED.

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
The most interesting thing will be the names of the people in charge of the robbery. I'm shure they are at las Americas Airport right now with bags full of money and one way tickets to Miami
I sent all the pictures of the operation to UNISCO to warn them of what was happening. They declared this a World Heritage city. Now what will they declare it ???How no one could see that you can not dig 30 foot holes next to 300 year old mud and stone buildings without them coming down is beyond belief . Yet no one did a thing except exclaim how great a project it is they claim there are now 320 new business in the C.Z. due to the project. Sorry now their is one less.

banzai

Aug 16, 2013
I spent ten days in/around the CZ just recently, part of the crew was digging at the North East Corner of the Church Square
right in front of the post office. I certainly hope someone has a plan for the Church?? At the rate of progress it will be quite
sometime before the crew gets to the other landmark - Paco's (now Grants) - of interest!

May 12, 2005
The hotel as it looked in the 1920s

11055312_855826937786011_6265435142896898557_n.jpg

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Hotel Frances definitely was one of the most beautiful hotels in La Zona. Absolutely shameful that this has happened.

Mar 1, 2009
Wow this is painful to even conceptualize. The property was a gem, I really do hope AccorHotels finds a way for the imbeciles and stupid morons who caused this to pay and restore the piece of history. It's disgusting to me that the team carrying out this job brought about this unecessary destruction.

LC

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
not to mention that now the street and sidewalk are at the same grade, with some of the buildings at grade level or inches above. While there are huge bricklayer culverts in the middle of the street there seem to be very few drainage grates. I can't imagine how places won't be flooded during a heavy rain.

So body mentioned the white paving stones in another thread. It is very soft rock. No way will it hold up as paving stones. But I guess that secures a contract for another generation of ladrones stuffing their piggy snouts in the public coffers.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
I wish I could post pictures here. At the scotiabank there is a ten foot drop and maybe 18-24 inches of a ledge that you traverse in order to get into the building. Now barriers or protection or rails or anything.

ZC1

Dec 8, 2013
I wish I could post pictures here. At the scotiabank there is a ten foot drop and maybe 18-24 inches of a ledge that you traverse in order to get into the building. Now barriers or protection or rails or anything.

Yes I went there the other day to pay my CC bill and found myself walking a thin ledge to enter/exit the bank. After seeing what occurred last night to the beautiful Hotel Frances I question just how safe Scotia bank and other structures are surrounding the deep trenches. I initially wanted my street to be remodeled, but after seeing the way these engineers work I prefer things stay the way they are.

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
Yes I went there the other day to pay my CC bill and found myself walking a thin ledge to enter/exit the bank. After seeing what occurred last night to the beautiful Hotel Frances I question just how safe Scotia bank and other structures are surrounding the deep trenches. I initially wanted my street to be remodeled, but after seeing the way these engineers work I prefer things stay the way they are.

If someone with some brains does not request the President to dismiss all involved in this project right now! Their will be no World heritage to see except a pile of dirt and bricks. This is the kind of result you get when you let thieves get a hold on a money project. They just go for the money forget about the Patria. That building in my mind represented the most beautiful of all the Z.C. Homes. RIP

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Open manholes and other gaping holes are nothing new in Santo Domingo, why would this be any different..
I encountered my first one on my first trip, while a little drunk, and firmly believe an Angel was looking out for me cuz it was raining hard, and i was running trying to get under a tree .

But , Very sorry to hear about this Hotel and the collapse... would be an even worse tragedy now if someone gets hurt also.
"engineers" ? PFFFTTTT... these guys dig Trenches without ever using any shoring or shielding percautions ( to keep the soil from caving in) ,, and thats when THEY are in the trench risking their own lives .. its as if they dont have a clue how heavy Soil is , just a couple cubic feet can kill a man instantly..a cubic yard, forget it. thats a couple thousand Lbs.. them guys dont have a clue.. Engineers ? more like ditch diggers.
And these guys were warned this would happen..

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
The only ones who would get hurt are our Haitan workers who are doing everything but the money part. No one not eaven the street dogs like what is happening and worse is going to happen if a stop to this is not halted.
Rob can you send a copy of this thread to UNESCo i have sent them numerous emails with no response. Their email is wh-info@unesco.org Lets do it lets all of us send UNESCO a cry for help!!!

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
No. It's done. However, over the,years you can see how modern materials were just piled up on the mud brick walls. God forbid there is an earthquake in this side. It will be the same rubble as the western portion of the island. I was listening to various workers, neighbors and such discussing the situation. A miniature tourist attraction. Lots of people taking pictures. Me among them.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Wow this is painful to even conceptualize. The property was a gem, I really do hope AccorHotels finds a way for the imbeciles and stupid morons who caused this to pay and restore the piece of history. It's disgusting to me that the team carrying out this job brought about this unecessary destruction.

LC

The people that caused this? Try the government or the whole (able to vote) population....
Unfortunately they don't care and they don't give a ****...

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
If they do not do something before hurricane season tons of water will be washing down the streets with curbs no problem. When the street is at the level of mud houses you will see more damage. They want cream colored brick streets with no curbs. They will cause unknown damage as the dirt walls start to fall! It appears the woman that thought this up is really going to ruine more than the hotel.

ZC1

Dec 8, 2013
This report says only 5 rooms and the lobby were affected so hopefully this historic building can be saved.
Colapsan el lobby y cinco habitaciones del Sofitel Franc?s

I can't post a photo but the damage is extensive. It will never be what it was. Probably the nicest house in the ZC is destroyed. Who are the engineers responsible? Nucleos was taken off the project for moving too slowly. Many said these new guys are fast..... Yes their fast all right, and dangerous. Are these the same people building the four story parking garage behind Atarazana near the Colon house? If so I do hope a 3rd party will inspect their work before hundreds of cars are parked there.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The building was one of the oldest houses in the New World. Built in the 1500's and later became the mansion of the Davila family.

The Hotel Franc?s has been around for at least a century. I remember reading memoirs of foreigners that visited SD in the second half of the 1800's and they mention the Hotel Franc?s as the best in town. I don't know if the hotel has always been at this house though. Regardless, the hotel is very historic and the building even more.