Bringing seeds in your luggage

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Anyone ever bring grass seed in their luggage without problems. I want to bring in a 3 lb bag of high traffic grass seed, as well as some flower seeds.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I sent 20 pounds in a "Mudanza Box with no problems.
I have brought is seed packets in my luggage, but have not been checked in over 10 years now.
Tell them it's "Granola".
Put it in an empty cereal box and glue it shut!

They ain't THAT SMART!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
we've brought seeds in... no problem

putting in as cereal is pure genius

gotta think like crook to be a crook............

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I buy seed packets in europe, stuff them in the case, travel through the US, never had any problems.....
( flowers, vegetable seeds.....).

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I must say, our NoAmerican seeds don't do as well as the local ones from Ferreteria Americana, for example.

and our gardener can grow almost anything

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Grama Sods

I want to bring in a 3 lb bag of high traffic grass seed, as well as some flower seeds.

Although you won't have much of a problem getting the seeds in, I doubt that you'll have much luck with that imported grass.
It is for a reason that grass is mainly 'planted' here in sods ('grama').
This type is very hardy and will spread wherever you want it to...

donP

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Yes, you can take veggie seed packets in your luggage. If you like lemons, you might
want to take some seeds with you. Trying to find yellow lemons is close to the impossible.

If you like herbs take the seed packets because fresh herbs such as thyme, basil and
rosemary may not be readily available.

Good luck. Hope you have a green thumb. :)

Although you can buy the vegetable seed packets in places such as La Sirena and Jumbo, etc.,
they are much cheaper abroad.

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Although you won't have much of a problem getting the seeds in, I doubt that you'll have much luck with that imported grass.

donP

what the locals do is go to any place that has that 'low grow' grass - you see it all over.
they scrape off however much they need and take it home.

as our horticulturist (donP) says, it spreads like wildfire (oops, bad analogy in LT)

just do that and you'll have better grass, faster than from seed
the more you trample it, the faster it spreads

and it takes almost no mtce.... hardly ever needs a mower

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes, you can take veggie seed packets in your luggage. If you like lemons, you might
want to take some seeds with you. Trying to find yellow lemons is close to the impossible.

If you like herbs take the seed packets because fresh herbs such as thyme, basil and
rosemary you may not be readily available.

Although you can buy the vegetable seed packets in places like La Sirena and Jumbo, etc.

search lemon trees here -- one of us has them and will trade/sell them

as for herbs, I find most neighbors have them and share them

I give cuttings away regularly

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
I must say, our NoAmerican seeds don't do as well as the local ones from Ferreteria Americana, for example.

and our gardener can grow almost anything

I believe the reason why veggie seeds do not grow as well is because of the soil mix that's sold in ferreterias.

Many of my plants 'burned" turned brown when I planted them with the soil mix. But when I just
planted them in the ground they did okay.

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Tierra buena is what we use and we get it from the vivero down the hill... same as he uses, rice husks and all

Our US and Cdn seeds just don't do well
Remember, some of these plants need dormancy ( see my vineyard thread)
Others are cool weather plants, Swiss chard, spinach.... we can squeeze some out over winter but not that much

The boys on the 'upper level' , Jarabacoa, etc will certainly do better

Tomatoes..... can't stop 'em
and the herbs have a life of their own..... infinite, we could never get them to that size in NoAmerica. IMO

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com

rosemary may not be readily available.

Although you can buy the vegetable seed packets in places such as La Sirena and Jumbo, etc.,
ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc
Thyme, basil, oregano, and MORE, all available in the Super Mercado National stores here!
All the "THYME"!!!!! :cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

sirlurksalot

Apr 2, 2002

donP
I brought in some hybrid sweet corn seed from the US. No problem at all at the airport, but no yield from the corn. It sprouted ok and grew about 3 feet high and died. The Dominicans use regular field corn that is nothing like our sweet corn and roast that. It grows fine. Seems like if the conditions are not the same as where it is bred it won't do too well. But it is fun to experiment some. Maybe a few things from other parts of the world will thrive here.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Thyme waits for no man............

I supply the whole neighborhood with all those...
we , as two people most of the time, have more than we need.

we let others pick/harvest it and in return it comes back to us.... dried and pulverized for kitchen use.

win - win situation

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Thyme waits for no man............

I supply the whole neighborhood with all those...
we , as two people most of the time, have more than we need.

we let others pick/harvest it and in return it comes back to us.... dried and pulverized for kitchen use.

win - win situation

I love marinating chicken with thyme!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

donP

I am somewhat familiar with growing grass from seed, and Jarabacoa isn't as hot as the coast nor as humid. For the price of a 3 lb bag I'm willing to try it. I'm sure I'd be better off getting seed suited for Florida.