Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: 3 yr old with Cancer needs your help!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hello All,

My name is Lynn Nugent, and I am the owner of the GoFundMe. I tried posting here before, but my post disappeared (not sure if it was because my account was too new, or because I posted my email address). If anyone wants to contact me personally, you can do so through the GoFundMe. I will be happy to update you.

Here is what happened: My husband and I, along with other family, were on holiday in Sosua. We met Carolina and Andrea and were really taken with what a wonderful little girl Andrea is. We talked (as best we could with little Spanish) to her Mom and were told that Andrea's tumor was cancerous and that she needed treatment (chemo & surgery) that Carolina simply could not afford. As my husband and I had spent a couple of years living in the DR, we had no problem believing her. So, we decided as a group to do what we could to help. When we returned home, I started the GFM, to try and raise the money needed to get Andrea help. The GFM account says Belleville, ON as that is where we live.

We are working with a Canadian couple who live in the DR, and the money from the GoFundMe goes to them. We met them when we met Andrea and have been in contact since we returned from the DR. This is definitely not a scam. My husband and I (along with family) are doing this because we want to help this little girl. We are hopeful that once she is healthy again that we can continue to contribute to her well-being, as well as her families, and hopefully make sure the girls get education & have a decent quality of life.

Out of respect for Andrea I don't want to talk about her medical issues here. If Carolina wants to share that information, she has that right as the child's mother, but as an outsider I don't think it's right for me to do the same.

Again, if you would like to be in touch with me, you can reach me through the GFM and I will happily provide my personal email to you.

Thank you, and thank you to everyone who is doing their best to help Andrea.

2. Likes ctrob, tflea liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caribmike View Post
    I saw and heard of people with injuries or other handicaps refusing help because they used it to beg / make money. I sure do hope that mother isn't like that because she wants to use her daughter to collect money... If so they should take the child away from here...
    BINGO..

I was born in a country, where this was an ART form..
    my .02 cents at this point is that it certainly seem to be pointing in this direction..

i have nothing else of value to contribute to the conversation
    .. but I can tell you many stories of first hand experiences with this type of behavior..
    this DOES happen. and is not even that unusual in a 3rd word country.
    we collectively coming from 1st world ways of life always "assume" that people will appreciate our Altruistic Efforts of Helping them, and then are slapped with the reality that it may not be perceived as Help at all.

Sad for the child.. my Heart goes out to her.. may God keep her safe..

4. Likes N/A, ctrob liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LindseyKaufman View Post
    Now if, by chance, she surprises us by actually dropping off the test results and x-ray films, I will add another chapter to this drama.

Lindsey
    Manuela has scans of the xrays if that helps. But I imagine the mother has the originals.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LindseyKaufman View Post
    All we can do is offer help. That does not mean offer money.

While my heart breaks for situations such as these, still I cannot judge. They may not be educated. I am not poor. I don't have to worry about how to put food on my table each night. I don't have to worry about how to pay for a house. I have skills that enable to to get a job. I don't have a disabled child who needs constant care. While I don't like a mother using her child for business purposes, I have never walked in their shoes.

It's quick and easy to judge when life is good. As hard at it is sometimes, I try to remind myself not to do so.

Lindsey
    How did it go with the xrays and the Doctor info?

Yes, if she's using the girl for begging purposes and delaying/blocking assistance that would help the girl....I just can't imagine. As a parent, it's hard to come to grips with that.

If you plan on continuing to try and help, Luis might be able to talk some sense into her. Just a thought.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ctrob View Post
    How did it go with the xrays and the Doctor info?

Yes, if she's using the girl for begging purposes and delaying/blocking assistance that would help the girl....I just can't imagine. As a parent, it's hard to come to grips with that.

If you plan on continuing to try and help, Luis might be able to talk some sense into her. Just a thought.
    ctrob, she is supposed to take her x rays and test results today. I'll see later on if Manuella knows if she actually went. Manuelaa gave me the CD with images from CMC. If the mother took her test results today, I'll send someone to deliver the CD I'm holding.

This medical team saw Andrea as a special favor to me. Their schedule was already full before they arrived in the country. Since the mother confidently told one lie after another to the doctors in my presence, I feel my own reputation is now at stake. I am reluctant to give further help. It became obvious to me that the mother did not want, nor felt that she needed my help or that of the medical team.

If, in fact, I am wrong and she delivers her file to the team today, then I will do my part and make sure the CD with test results also is delivered. I haven't seen, nor spoken to the mother since Monday.

Lindsey

8. Likes Harleysrock, waytogo, jd426, ctrob liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

By the way, the mother knows where to find me. She has 2 daughters enrolled in my (free) ballet classes.

Lindsey

Post Thanks / Like

We are the couple here in the DR working with Caroline and Andrea. we have just completed 8 weeks of treatment in Santiago. The treatments are Bleomycin. This has not been as easy road as Lindsey knows. It is a constant con from Carolina including hundreds of phone calls looking for cash. We are now waiting for analysis of the situation from the doctor in Santiago.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

May you be abundantly blessed in return for this work you are doing.

~ Lindsey

12. Likes jd426, Polar Bear liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Toonie - Thanks for the update and glad to hear she got the treatments. How is Andrea feeling?

What did those treatments end up costing? Looking forward to more updates as you get them. Thank you for your efforts in handling everything and keep up the good work.

14. Likes jd426, j&t's future liked this post
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678