Applied for residency in 2012!

kofman

May 8, 2015
Greetings,
In 2011 was my first visit to DR and by luck I knew a lawyer in Santo Domingo who encouraged me to apply for
residency as I enjoyed my vacation and willing to come over again!
well, for short, the lawyer requested me to come over in June 2012 and I did but I noticed he did not even deposited the paper!

in August, we deposited my documents and promised me that in 30 days I will get my temporary residence, but
I stayed till end of November 2012 with no response (as of what the lawyer told me).

Anyways, I decided that I will ignore the case, but then again I came and when checked the immigration with another lawyer,
the immigration response was as of what the lawyer told me "the papers had been long and need to re-apply from the start".

Btw, I bought a car in 2012 and I renewed its papers now, but I am not sure the new lawyer is telling the truth about my papers,
any idea of what to do or how to get to know about my papers as I do not know Spanish!

Thanks!

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Get a real lawyer and not a charlatan as you have now!
Most foreigners think they have a friend, ally, partner and/or confederate in a lawyer.....you do NOT!

Contact Mr. Fabio Guzman, you can find him here on the forum.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Hopefully you paid this scam artist a lot of money for you residency

Bob K

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Greetings,
In 2011 was my first visit to DR and by luck I knew a lawyer in Santo Domingo who encouraged me to apply for
residency as I enjoyed my vacation and willing to come over again!
well, for short, the lawyer requested me to come over in June 2012 and I did but I noticed he did not even deposited the paper!

in August, we deposited my documents and promised me that in 30 days I will get my temporary residence, but
I stayed till end of November 2012 with no response (as of what the lawyer told me).

Anyways, I decided that I will ignore the case, but then again I came and when checked the immigration with another lawyer,
the immigration response was as of what the lawyer told me "the papers had been long and need to re-apply from the start".

Btw, I bought a car in 2012 and I renewed its papers now, but I am not sure the new lawyer is telling the truth about my papers,
any idea of what to do or how to get to know about my papers as I do not know Spanish!

Thanks!

You have been taken to the shed. First of all your papers should have been submitted immediately. It normally takes about 6-9 months to get your temporary residency. There is no way you can do this in 30 days. Secondly there is an experation date on how long your documents are valid. What papers are you renewing for a vehicle? It sounds to me like you have no clue and the people you are relying on are ripping you off big time.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You say "by luck I knew a lawyer in Santo Domingo". Make that "by bad luck..............."

This is a good place to get recommendations re lawyers you can trust. The Guzman law offices are good option. They have
offices in many locations,where are you living now?

Feb 7, 2007
But now you also need a residency visa first before applying for a temp res.

Get a real lawyer ... do not pay more than 50% of lawyer's fees in advance, and pay all government fees by yourself.

My residency came about 3 1/2 months after submitting all docs.

kofman

May 8, 2015
Thanks for your reply, I hope I can re-setup my papers which already in the immigration!

kofman

May 8, 2015
@LTSteve, thanks for your reply, they told me its the Blaca a green paper, well, I less care for the car's papers but I think it might help in residence issue!

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
ok I give you my email
redactv7@gmail
as you cant send pm

ps dont know if I can give my mail here
:)

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
if your lawyer gave the paperwork to Immigrations, then you would have a paper that states the timeline til when you have to show up there, and that timeline would be loooong over by now.
the immigrations laws/requirements/procedures for residency changed significantly since then, you will not get anything done from here, not even with a real lawyer, unless you have connections on the high level within immigrations.
now you need to start your residency papers back home at your nearest DR Embassy.
without connections, which you clearly do not have, you will not have any way around that.
as for your car papers you care not so much about, i hope it was not a valuable/expensive car. if your car papers are lost then you can recover them by going to DGII and telling them that the papers are lost. you pay the Traspaso Fees for the vehicle again, like on purchase when you put the car in your name, and will receive new car papers.
in case you did not the Traspaso to have the car papers in your name and you do not have a purchase contract for the car with a copy of the cedula of the prior owner(the person who's name is actually in the system as car-owner), then you can count that car as "gooone" and you would not be able to sell it. at least nobody with a sane mind would pay for a car without the papers in the seller's name on the table, the originals of course.

good luck

Mike

D.Rep

Jan 6, 2011
Check out your status by your own at the Immigration Office. Ask what is the status and what needs to be done. Then you have the information directly. For me it tooks 10 months to get it.