Santo Domingo Cultural Tour

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Alright, so, we've lived here for almost two year and have never been to Santo Domingo. I'd like to go, probably a few months from now.

And, yes, I know how to use Google, but prefer suggestions from boots on the ground!

I'm interested in family, kid friends, and cultural stuff. I want to see some of the old old buildings, the history of the place, any museums and such. Nothing touristy.

We'll drive there, but would like to be able to walk around or take publicos a short distance to see stuff. I hotel/villa/apartment in a safe area, around $100 a night would be nice.

What ya got. What is the must see in Santo Domingo?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Suggest you base yourself in the Colonial Zone and stay at Boutique Hotel in Santo Domingo | Casa Sanchez | Hotel in Colonial Zone. You can park there easily as well.

In the Colonial Zone there is plenty to see and do, museum, old buildings, cathedral, trampoline museum for the kids. I would also suggest going out of the Zone to the Botanical Gardens, Zoo, Museum of the Modern Man, and the Tres Ojos caves.

I have emailed you the pdf of the DK guide to the DR, the Santo Domingo section which has all the maps, opening times, prices of the must see places in the capital.

Matilda

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
I noticed the hotel is "adults only".

Just wondering if you have another similar recommendation that would be more kid friendly?

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
You can also visit the Aquarium, Christopher Columbus House, Malecon and a few malls to cool off.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Is the drive pretty simple from the North Coast? I see the signs for Santo Domingo when I go to the airport in Santiago.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I noticed the hotel is "adults only".

Just wondering if you have another similar recommendation that would be more kid friendly?

Although Casa Sanchez advertises as adult-only, they do accept reservations with older children. The policy is mainly about noise, it's a very peaceful hotel (unlike most of Santo Domingo) and younger kids tend to make a lot of noise.