Drought and water use

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
The typical Dominican 'I'm all right Jack f..c. you' attitude is clearly apparent in the capital during this period of drought and low water reserves in the country.

Whilst some barrios only get water 2, 3 , 4 or 5 days a week if that, the better areas still get water most of the time......and the hose pipes are in use washing down the yards irrigating the gardens and washing the cars. Car wash businesses are in full swing as usual and if you have a new SUV it has to be in sparkling nick every day.

I wonder what it is like in the provinces? I read Monte Plata town has no water.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Yo, yo, yo...

The typical Dominican (...) attitude is clearly apparent...

There are very few Dominicans who respect the environment and natural resources.
It's mainly greed and selfishness.
Culture or lack of education, or both, I do not know... and do not care (any more)....

donP

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there is a drought every year. and every year we have someone demanding social justice. those who have water paid for it. let them use it.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
there is a drought every year. and every year we have someone demanding social justice. those who have water paid for it. let them use it.

Which is not entirely true..... most places pay a fix amount, ie 100 pesos a month..... we pay 50 pesos more ( !!!) cos we have a big house and 2 water mains......
But we have a pool, tinacoas, cistern, water a big garden........ even if we are careful not to spoil, we use much more water than fulano in his shack with a leaky pipe......
So fulano, IMO, has a point on social injustice.

If everyone paid, per consomation, and not a fixed price, then that would be nice.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
"Aprovechando la sequ?a"

there is a drought every year. and every year we have someone demanding social justice.
This year is different.
In 20 years I have never seen such a drought. Even here in Saman? where we always get a good amount of rain, the grass is turning brown.

Yet, irresponsible people 'take advantage of the dry weather' and burn the landscape.
Unbelievable. :eek:

...those who have water paid for it. let them use it.

I doubt, that all who even now waste water pay for it. Not for the amount of water they are using/ wasting anyway.

donP

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yawn. you realize that lots of people have wells or buy water by a truck, do you?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Yawn...

yawn. you realize that lots of people have wells or buy water by a truck, do you?

Many wells have already fallen dry. Yawn?
The trucked water needs to come from somewhere, right? Yawn?

Our well is still providing sufficient water. :classic:

The water table is critically low. Yawn?

Crisis del agua - Diariolibre.com
Casi sin agua acueductos de Monte Plata - listindiario.com
Disminuye el suministro de agua en diferentes sectores de la capital - DiarioLibre.com
INDRHI dice es grave la sequ?a en la RD | AlMomento.net

donP

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have a full cistern. yawn from me. last year it was the same panic. yawn again. much ado about nothing. yawn, yawn.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The typical Dominican 'I'm all right Jack f..c. you' attitude is clearly apparent in the capital during this period of drought and low water reserves in the country.

Whilst some barrios only get water 2, 3 , 4 or 5 days a week if that, the better areas still get water most of the time......and the hose pipes are in use washing down the yards irrigating the gardens and washing the cars. Car wash businesses are in full swing as usual and if you have a new SUV it has to be in sparkling nick every day.

I wonder what it is like in the provinces? I read Monte Plata town has no water.

I live in a "Better Area" of "SD", ARROYO HONDO, been here for 20 years now.
In all those 20 years, I have never seen anyone washing a car,watering their lawn, or watering a "garden" which again I have never seen.!!!
"RICOS" GET THEIR CARS WASHED AT A CAR WASH, buy vegetables at a super market, and have no "Gardens".
I have seen the water running freely in the streets of poor barrios, and street side car washing places.
We get water for about 4 hours, 3 days a week, SOMETIMES!!!!!
I sometimes have to pay a water truck 1,200 pesos to fill mt "cisterna" with water he gets for free as they steal it from the street water lines.

You are wrong this time, it's the poor who get water for free, and let it run into the streets!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I live in a "Better Area" of "SD", ARROYO HONDO, been here for 20 years now.

I have seen the water running freely in the streets of poor barrios, and street side car washing places.
We get water for about 4 hours, 3 days a week, SOMETIMES!!!!!
I sometimes have to pay a water truck 1,200 pesos to fill mt "cisterna" with water he gets for free as they steal it from the street water lines.

You are wrong this time, it's the poor who get water for free, and let it run into the streets!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I have witnessed pretty much the same as CC...

This is something that (along with the same thing they do with electricity) has been always beyond my understanding: We have always lived in a barrio, and have never ever purchased water from truck. But I have witnessed every single time the street water is on, how the majority of the people waste it in ways I cannot understand. Also, based on the bills I have seen, nobody pays a peso from this water. On the other hand, a while ago we talked to a landlord in a middle class residencial, where everything is well taken care off, and there CORAPLATA had not supplied the area with water for more than a week... So where people pay their bills as they are suppos?d to, from there the service is cut off...

Same thing goes with electricity of course, one barrio we lived in, nobody used inverters since there could be weeks with actual 24/7 service. At the same time, I can witness several residenciales being cut off from luz on a daily basis...

My wife told me just the other day something wise (while getting mad at Orange for their payment system being down for more than a week): If you treat people well here and act responsibly, someone/something will make sure you lose and suffer. If you act like a "payaso", you are the king...

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
I for one like the fact that the water shortage issues in the DR continue. The poor do waste enormous amounts of water that they don't have to pay for as Criss mentioned in a post. I've seen it first hand. The well off Dominicans and expats buy their water and when shortages happen as DV8 posted they haul in a truckload and even though the potable water tables are depleting and the conductivity (salt intrusion) of the groundwater is growing, the government has no set laws regarding wells or groundwater. As for the high end users that can't depend on a consistent government water supply that is needed to keep their hotels, resorts, or manufacturing plants operating, They call us to design, install, and maintain private water treatment and desalination plants. Keeps me in Dollars, so I don't have to work for pesos! Cheers to the status quo continuing in the DR!!!

It never ceases to amaze me that people (mainly governments) do not realize that the world has the exact same amount of water now that we had 5,000 years ago and even back to the beginning of the world.. There is never going to be more. Just more people that use it as well as pollute it faster than mother nature can purify it again for re use.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Which is not entirely true..... most places pay a fix amount, ie 100 pesos a month..... we pay 50 pesos more ( !!!) cos we have a big house and 2 water mains......
But we have a pool, tinacoas, cistern, water a big garden........ even if we are careful not to spoil, we use much more water than fulano in his shack with a leaky pipe......
So fulano, IMO, has a point on social injustice.

If everyone paid, per consomation, and not a fixed price, then that would be nice.

We pay 2500 per school, and my mother in law pays about 150, but we pay more , around 450 AS HERE IN Jarabacoa IT'S BASED ON NUMBER OF BATHROOM, KITCHENS...ETC.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I for one like the fact that the water shortage issues in the DR continue. The poor do waste enormous amounts of water that they don't have to pay for as Criss mentioned in a post. I've seen it first hand. The well off Dominicans and expats buy their water and when shortages happen as DV8 posted they haul in a truckload and even though the potable water tables are depleting and the conductivity (salt intrusion) of the groundwater is growing, the government has no set laws regarding wells or groundwater. As for the high end users that can't depend on a consistent government water supply that is needed to keep their hotels, resorts, or manufacturing plants operating, They call us to design, install, and maintain private water treatment and desalination plants. Keeps me in Dollars, so I don't have to work for pesos! Cheers to the status quo continuing in the DR!!!

It never ceases to amaze me that people (mainly governments) do not realize that the world has the exact same amount of water now that we had 5,000 years ago and even back to the beginning of the world.. There is never going to be more. Just more people that use it as well as pollute it faster than mother nature can purify it again for re use.

I dunno..........
Iam sitting here - now - on the largest body of fresh water on the planet... The Great Lakes

We watch the water levels rise/fall but there is a consistency to it..

I understand..'there is never going to be more'.... but could argue the point....

Nevertheless, water conservancy is something we should pay heed to...... islands especially

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
I dunno..........
Iam sitting here - now - on the largest body of fresh water on the planet... The Great Lakes

We watch the water levels rise/fall but there is a consistency to it..

I understand..'there is never going to be more'.... but could argue the point....

Nevertheless, water conservancy is something we should pay heed to...... islands especially

Look up earth's hydrologic cycle and see for yourself. also ask yourself where would any new water to the earth come from? Rain you say.. Well where does rain come from?? Our existing water supply? I wish more people understood this and just maybe people would understand more about one of our two most precious resources and the need to utilize it wisely. The other most precious is air. the two things that we can't live without.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Dom neighbor built a swimming pool. No pump, no filters no nothing. Fills it up when he wants to swim for a few days then drains it until the next time.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Tenemo otlo

Look up earth's hydrologic cycle and see for yourself. also ask yourself where would any new water to the earth come from? Rain you say.. Well where does rain come from?? Our existing water supply? I wish more people understood this and just maybe people would understand more about one of our two most precious resources and the need to utilize it wisely. The other most precious is air. the two things that we can't live without.

All very well, but does not apply to Dominicans.
They have a second planet earth on standby..... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

donP

Aug 6, 2006
Then there are those that claim that Jesus will pop in tomorrow and conservation will have all been for naught.
Considering the history of such events not happening in the past, this is probably the wrong attitude.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

I get it..... see my last sentence in my quote above.

As we have discussed here before, some of us carry our Dominican conservation habits back to No America.

Living solar and on a well in RD, we switch off lights, don't run water continuously....

As for the Great Lakes' levels, although the water amount for the planet is finite (as you say) , I expect it's location can vary from year to year and decade to decade.

What we seem to have here this year (high water after several years of 100 yr lows) must have come from California.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Seems to me there is more than enough fresh water on earth.
The problem at hand would be getting it from A to B, where it is needed.