How much to tip the cleaning lady at the Hotel ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carabum

May 7, 2015
Can you tell me please how much one should tip the cleaning lady at the Hotel if the Hotel is a monthly residecy type Hotel?

Should you give every day or at the end of a certain period ?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
How often does she clean?

RD500 a week is a generous tip if she really does a great job, and some personal laundry from time to time.
RD100 once in a while will also be appreciated.
You can feed her too on occasion.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Cuba Daves disciples on DR1?

If she does the dishes as well as everything else, let her in every other day and give her RD100, after she has done EVERYTHING. Give her it before she has cleaned that last cup and it might well be left.

Apr 13, 2011
That would be my first question, how often is the cleaning service done, especially since you mention it is a monthly residence hotel... I think it is important to tip for anything they do that is "extra". If they bring you extra towels, extra water, etc... Other than that, you will have to use your discretion as to the benefit of tipping and how much, because there are varying opinions on this subject.

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
I give a 50 every other day which I bet is more than 75% of hotel customers. Yes I know we Ricos can afford 500 a week, even more. The cleaning lady spends about 10-15 mins a day max in my place. Sorry, I cant be responsible for making up for the slave wages paid in this country.

Carabum

May 7, 2015
Thanks for your input.
To be honest she has no need to come in every day but that's what the Hotel offers and she comes in when I'm not there to basicaly make the bed and then leave as I'm not that messy.

So I guess she's there for 10 minutes and then she's off to the next room.
But I want to tip them not because of the fantastic cleaning but rather so I won't get a dirty look when I see them which will make my stay terrible.

She doesn't usually change the bedsheets unless I tell the reception I want a change of bedsheets.

Aug 6, 2006
I would think that Jayin RD is entirely correct in the way he deals with this and his assessment of other patrons.
I would say try it. I bet you get a nice smile.

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
P.s. I stay in a lot of Hotels here for vacation and in the USA for work. I always wondered why it costs say $55 for a night for a relatively clean, efficient, safe Super 8 or Days Inn in Florida, but $60 for a barely equivalent quality hotel here in RD...when labor costs here are probably 20% of what they are in the USA.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
It depends entirely on how good looking and how friendly she is. I have paid, I mean tipped, as much as $50.00 US but that was for outstanding service. Why are you so worried about the small stuff? Do you suffer from small tip anxiety?

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
Zoom in my younger days I used to look for that type of outstanding service from an attractive maid. These days, being more mature, I would never try to f... around with a maid at risk of losing her crummy but difficult to get cleaning job...small stuff to you..big stuff to her.

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
You don't need them everyday -- too much access, too risky. Too easy for things to go missing.

Tell the desk to send them every five days for a full cleaning and sheet change. Tip $100 pesos.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I go with 50 pesos everyday, that way if they send a different maid she gets the tips too.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Last edited by a moderator:

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Zoom in my younger days I used to look for that type of outstanding service from an attractive maid. These days, being more mature, I would never try to f... around with a maid at risk of losing her crummy but difficult to get cleaning job...small stuff to you..big stuff to her.
Man my additude tourds life has changed a lot in the last 5 mounths. This makes sence to my and if she swallows doesn't any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.