For all of you who need help to talk to your chicas

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
For all the "Gringos" who have Dominican girlfriends but don't speak spanish.

'How are you?' 'Bien gracias!': Skype launches online translator that could let you converse (and text) in ANY language
Lets people of different languages talk to each other on video calls
The software translates one language into text and speech of another
English, Spanish, Italian, Mandarin all supported in latest version
By JONATHAN O'CALLAGHAN and MARK PRIGG FOR DAILYMAIL.COM

A world where there are no more language barriers might not be too far away - online, at least.
Skype has released a live translation tool, allowing people to speak to others in another language - even if they don?t know what they?re saying.
The tool translates speech instantly, providing both text and spoken translations.
Scroll down for videos

Washington-based Microsoft has released a preview of Skype Translator (shown). It lets people of different languages talk to each other on video calls. The software translates one language into text and speech of another. For now only Spanish and English are available - and you need to have a Windows 8.1 device
HOW DOES THE TECH WORK?
To start using it, you simply need to choose a contact, turn on the ?Translation? switch for that person, and start typing or speaking if you?ve made a call.
The programme analyses speech against audio snippets from millions of previously recorded samples, and transforms the audio into a set of text candidates.
Speech disfluencies - like ?ums? and ?ahs? - are removed, and the top choice among the sound-alike words is made, getting the text ready for translation.
The technology apparently knows how dozens of languages align with one another, by reviewing millions of pieces of previously translated content.
The translator applies this knowledge to quickly translate text into another language.
Increased usage and user feedback, plus constant refinement by human transcribers, will also help it get better and better.
Skype Translator will eventually support more than 40 languages including - amusingly -Klingon from the Star Trek universe.
'Skype?s mission is to bring people together from all over the world, and with Skype Translator we are breaking down language barriers that have historically made it challenging for friends and families to connect,' the firm said in a blog post.
Skype Translator currently has four available spoken languages ? English, Spanish, Italian, Mandarin, and 50 instant messaging (IM) languages.
With IM, customers can write a text message in their language, and the recipient will receive it in their language of choice.
'Our goal for Skype Translator is to translate as many languages as possible on relevant platforms, and to deliver the best speech translation experience to our more than 300 million connected Skype customers,' it said.
?Skype is now removing another barrier to make it possible for people to communicate irrespective of what language they speak,? Microsoft?s Gurdeep Pall wrote in a blog post.
?Skype Translator relies on machine learning, which means that the more the technology is used, the smarter it gets.?
?We are starting with English and Spanish, and as more people use the Skype Translator preview with these languages, the quality will continually improve.?
The service works by translating your speech as you talk.
It provides a text version of your speech for the person on the other end of the line, and also reads out what it thinks the translation is.
To turn it on, you simply need to select the translation setting before making a call to someone.

Initial reports from the beta version say it is good, although not perfect.
?For Skype Translator to work properly, there is a little mental conditioning involved,? reported Gizmodo.
?For one, you must speak slowly. Skype Translator's speech recognition is good, and plenty fast, but that accuracy decreases as you speed up in words per minute.
?"Hey, how is it going?" can change to "Hey is going?" pretty quickly.?
It?s also recommended that the speaker doesn?t ?um? and ?ah? too much, as this can confuse the translation tool.
Initial reports from the beta version (shown) say it is good, although not perfect. ?For Skype Translator to work properly, there is a little mental conditioning involved,? reported Gizmodo. They say you need to speak slowly, and now 'um' or 'ah' too much
Microsoft first unveiled the technology two years ago. At the time, though, it was deemed too inaccurate to release to the general public.
But a breakthrough by the Skype and Microsoft Translator teams in neural network-based speech recognition reduced errors in speech recognition by more than 30 per cent.
Microsoft says Skype has more than 300 million users, while at least 2 billion minutes of conversation are spoken every day.
Skype can be used across a variety of devices including computers, smartphones, tablets and TVs.
It allows users to either voice-call or video-call friends and family anywhere in the world without the large costs of regular phone tariffs.
Skype Translator is a spin-off of the technology behind Microsoft's Siri clone called Cortana, the personal voice assistant on Windows Phones.

Read more: Skype launches online translator that could let you converse in ANY language | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Aug 6, 2006
I can't see where a translator using spoken input is going to be as effective as one using written input.
It adds one more level (differences in voice inflections and accents) to the process.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
men talk to those vegetables? what kind of an interesting conversation can you have with a gal who gargles on nuts all day long?

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
men talk to those vegetables? what kind of an interesting conversation can you have with a gal who gargles on nuts all day long?

Ummm..turn over baby... a little more to the left... stuff like that.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Ummm..turn over baby... a little more to the left... stuff like that.

on skype?! in person, yeah, i can understand: cuanto me vas a cobrar? demasiado mucho. aqui es 10 dollares, chupa guevo. ya, terminaste, pa' fuera. but on skype?!

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
DISCLAIMER: Will not translate barrio speak.

lo cualto k tu me mandate no llegao . dime klk boy a ver orita o vamo tenel problema cerio

9bItrMe.png

In all seriousness though, what they've come up with is a great advancement in technology. Hope they keep improving the system from near real-time to basically real-time, would change the way the world communicates.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
on skype?! in person, yeah, i can understand: cuanto me vas a cobrar? demasiado mucho. aqui es 10 dollares, chupa guevo. ya, terminaste, pa' fuera. but on skype?!

Amazing how easily pleased some of our geriatric delusionists are......

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
DISCLAIMER: Will not translate barrio speak.

9bItrMe.png

In all seriousness though, what they've come up with is a great advancement in technology. Hope they keep improving the system from near real-time to basically real-time, would change the way the world communicates.

And the future generations of ordinary people into useless vegetables.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
And the future generations of ordinary people into useless vegetables.

progress, right? already many people can barely string words together to write a sentence. the next generation will be practically retarded.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Those who need that to talk to a "chica" also need the likes of cubadave to show them where to find them...

In general it is a great thing though.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Those who need that to talk to a "chica" also need the likes of cubadave to show them where to find them...

In general it is a great thing though.

Actually Mike, I am constantly embarrassed by the lack of language skills I hear from expats in DR. Men I know who have lived in the country 10-15 and still can't hold a credible conversation with the natives. I've lived all over the world and never met an expat bunch so language lazy as in the DR.

Aug 6, 2006
I am all for Skype developing such a service. I have my doubts as to how well it might work, though.
There are some people who just cannot learn languages, just as there are people who cannot play a musical instrument or even draw a stick figure running. Some people are lazy, others are simply incapable.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Language is not the issue. Not even perfect Spanish saved "someone" from being duped into having kids with a bitch.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
Actually Mike, I am constantly embarrassed by the lack of language skills I hear from expats in DR. Men I know who have lived in the country 10-15 and still can't hold a credible conversation with the natives. I've lived all over the world and never met an expat bunch so language lazy as in the DR.

Then you clearly haven't met the English on the Costa Brava!