New Member with lots of Questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SherryLewis

May 13, 2015
Hi,

Just found this site... Awesome!! I live in Calgary, AB and wanting to move to the DR by Sept. 1. We are a family of 4 (me, my husband and our 2 kids aged 12 and 16. I have many questions as I am getting conflicting stories and not sure if it's even possible. I am hoping all of you can help us out with this!

I have contacted the Embassy of DR in Ont. and they told me we can only get residency if we fall into one of the 4 categories (relative of a dominican, spouce of a dominican, retired with a pension plan, or an investor who has a brick and motor business, making a minimum of $300,000/yr. We don't fall into any of these categories. Our family would be living out there while my husband would be coming back and forth from DR to Canada for work. I will not be working at a local place, rather I am an online entrepreneur. We were wondering if we took a trip out there at the beginning of July, would we have better success going to the office in DR to apply for temporary residency? Or are these now strict policies where there is no way around it? If possible (applying for temp. residency in DR), how long would this take? If we are only there for a week and it takes a few months, how would we receive our temp. residency card?

When it comes to living in the DR, where are the best places to live? We do want to be ocean front with a pool. What are the average prices of homes for rent in this location with the above description and a minimum of a 3 bedroom, 2 bath? Security is also very important and not to far from major shopping and a good private school for our kids. Would it be better to home school our kids or is the school system out there good?

We were also planning on getting our vehicle shipped out there and again having a difficult time finding a place in Canada that does this. Anyone shipped their vehicle out there from Canada? If so, how long did it take? Also, I hear you have to be a resident of DR to do this... is this a temp. residency or a permanent resident?

When it comes to DR citizens, do they have different prices for tourists (much higher)? I hear this a lot when reading about other foreign countries.

We don't speak any Spanish, although I am definitely gonna get on that! Would it be better to hire a local to take with us when applying for residency?

Thank you for all your help in advance!!! Really appreciate all the feedback I can get!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Residency applications have to be started in your home country. So contact the closest DR embassy for information on that. There are many threads here on how do so. Use GOOGLE and search for such topics on DR1 and you will see how it is done, and how long it takes, what it should cost, etc.

I like the North Coast, but you might like Santo Domingo or Las Terrenas.

Many who have moved their vehicles here have regretted that experience. There is a time window during your residency applications where you save on duty, but it is still a hassle.

The good thing is that you are not relying on local employment to make money.

SherryLewis

May 13, 2015
Forgot to mention... We are not looking for a condo or townhouse... we are looking for single house.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
The rules changed drastically in 2011 and the process of obtaining residency is now much more difficult and the requirements are far stricter than before.

You are not going to be able to apply for temporary residency while here on a short trip. The process of applying now begins in your home country. The Dominican Consulate has already told you that you do not qualify in any of the four categories.

The best you might be able to do is to qualify for some sort of visa. The usual is a business visa, but since your work is online, I doubt that that is an option either.

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
So it begins future $$$ for `Domincan Republic being discouraged by their urge to purge the DR of Haitians one of the attractive things about living in the DR for 6 months or so was the overstay fine and ease it was for people to get residence or just pay the fine looks like that is all going down the toilet. LOL Typically Dominincan

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
To the OP I would say come down and rent for a few months but not sure if that will be possible after June 16th.

KATIEJAY

Aug 20, 2007
Residency is a PROCESS...ours took 1.5 years,submission of paperwork to Cedula/Residency cards in hand..There are glitches! A good lawyer will be there to assist/translate /handhold!!
My honest advice would be to come with future-dated return tickets..spend some time and do your homework!! RENT,RENT,RENT!! Do not make the mistake of committing until you have lived in an area..BUY LOCAL!! Importing without a Cedula..and with..is crazy expensive..Your vehicle must be less than 5 yrs old and your tax will be based on the appraisal locally ..not the Canadian value.Our $25000 Wrangler(2011) would have cost us $12000 US!!! You learn to be resourceful in finding things locally.Buyer beware..yes an ex-pat can be a victim of inflation here!!! If your husband is going to be travelling you should be in a very secure area ..people soon get to know others habits..Come as a tourist..if you decide this is the life for you and your family it will be worth a return trip to Canada to begin your process.
We live on the North Coast between Sosua and Puerto Plata..love it here but it is not the only area..research the heck out of an area before you commit.I have heard even ex-pats lie about the security of their area!! I would rather know what is going on in my community than try to hide it!! Be careful with whom you discuss your business,finances.activities.. Lots of advice on this site.Message if you want more details..welcome and good luck in whatever you decide..

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
I have an appartment full of things I would have sold you. These new laws have fcuked me up big time also.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Hi,

Just found this site... Awesome!! I live in Calgary, AB and wanting to move to the DR by Sept. 1. We are a family of 4 (me, my husband and our 2 kids aged 12 and 16. I have many questions as I am getting conflicting stories and not sure if it's even possible. I am hoping all of you can help us out with this!

I have contacted the Embassy of DR in Ont. and they told me we can only get residency if we fall into one of the 4 categories (relative of a dominican, spouce of a dominican, retired with a pension plan, or an investor who has a brick and motor business, making a minimum of $300,000/yr. We don't fall into any of these categories. Our family would be living out there while my husband would be coming back and forth from DR to Canada for work. I will not be working at a local place, rather I am an online entrepreneur. We were wondering if we took a trip out there at the beginning of July, would we have better success going to the office in DR to apply for temporary residency? Or are these now strict policies where there is no way around it? If possible (applying for temp. residency in DR), how long would this take? If we are only there for a week and it takes a few months, how would we receive our temp. residency card?

When it comes to living in the DR, where are the best places to live? We do want to be ocean front with a pool. What are the average prices of homes for rent in this location with the above description and a minimum of a 3 bedroom, 2 bath? Security is also very important and not to far from major shopping and a good private school for our kids. Would it be better to home school our kids or is the school system out there good?

We were also planning on getting our vehicle shipped out there and again having a difficult time finding a place in Canada that does this. Anyone shipped their vehicle out there from Canada? If so, how long did it take? Also, I hear you have to be a resident of DR to do this... is this a temp. residency or a permanent resident?

When it comes to DR citizens, do they have different prices for tourists (much higher)? I hear this a lot when reading about other foreign countries.

We don't speak any Spanish, although I am definitely gonna get on that! Would it be better to hire a local to take with us when applying for residency?

Thank you for all your help in advance!!! Really appreciate all the feedback I can get!

Property owners also qualify for Residency, in other words, if you buy a Villa or a Condo, you can apply..

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
If the OP is not experienced in living here and unsure what area they want to live in how can they buy property without knowledge beforehand ? IE why most people should rent first here Yes or No ?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
So it begins future $$$ for `Domincan Republic being discouraged by their urge to purge the DR of Haitians one of the attractive things about living in the DR for 6 months or so was the overstay fine and ease it was for people to get residence or just pay the fine looks like that is all going down the toilet. LOL Typically Dominincan

so much money that could be made on clueless gringos is now lost. sad thing, really for all dominican prostitutes, criminals and lawyers. but on the other hand, how many foreigners will be spared form cleansing of their wallets? there are bright sides to everything.

in any case, residency issue has been sufficiently explained. my only advice will be take into consideration particular area in DR that has good flights to ontario. no one wants to add more time and cost to travel by having to cross half of DR to get on a plane.

SherryLewis

May 13, 2015
Trying desperately to figure out a way around this! So I did find out if I bought a place I can apply for residency but unfortunately that's not possible at this time. The only visa we would be able to get is a tourist visa which allows you to stay for a max. of 2 months. I am a nurse by trade and thinking maybe I would try for a work visa and job to work out there as a nurse, not sure if I took this approach I would be able to come with my family. Does anyone know how difficult this would be? I will continue searching! Thans again!

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
so much money that could be made on clueless gringos is now lost. sad thing, really for all dominican prostitutes, criminals and lawyers. but on the other hand, how many foreigners will be spared form cleansing of their wallets? there are bright sides to everything.

in any case, residency issue has been sufficiently explained. my only advice will be take into consideration particular area in DR that has good flights to ontario. no one wants to add more time and cost to travel by having to cross half of DR to get on a plane.
Dv8 not only the criminals hoes and Lawyers but the Super markets etc etc its all a trickle down effect its the expats that keep Pueto Plata alive during the low season.

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
My point being is with the whole insecurity of Immigration at the moment you can not just suggest to people to come down and rent anymore for 6 months to establish if they wish to invest in the country.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Trying desperately to figure out a way around this! So I did find out if I bought a place I can apply for residency but unfortunately that's not possible at this time. The only visa we would be able to get is a tourist visa which allows you to stay for a max. of 2 months. I am a nurse by trade and thinking maybe I would try for a work visa and job to work out there as a nurse, not sure if I took this approach I would be able to come with my family. Does anyone know how difficult this would be? I will continue searching! Thans again!

Don't even consider a job as a nurse in DR, they make less than peanuts. Maybe a couple/few hundred US Dollars a MONTH for full time work.

Others will have a better number for you, I could be off, but not by much.

SherryLewis

May 13, 2015
Does anyone know if there are really cheap properties down there for no more than $10,000. Not worried about living in it.... just getting my foot in the door so I can make this possible. I would definitely rent, learn my way around before I committed on an area. When it comes to Real Estate agents, are they trust worthy? I know in for example Belize, anyone can call themselves an agent as no certification is required... is this the same in the dominican?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
lets not change it into another thread on immigration issues. what will be will be. i would not advise to buy without renting regardless of immigration policies. i would also not advise to get residency unless the person is committed because even if they were capable of doing it themselves it is still a substantial ongoing cost, considering it's for the whole family.

donP always asks: why DR? i'm also curious. is this a caribbean fantasy or what? does OP have connection to DR? traveled here frequently? has other family members here? because if it is about the joys of tropical living then there are many alternative options.

Status
Not open for further replies.