Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 66

Thread: Trujillo Death and funeral, May 1961.

  1. #11
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    17,688
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JDJones View Post
    Ramfis was one strange looking dude.
    You think so? We watched the video, and a couple behind it, and I said he was good looking.

    After seeing a couple of the videos, Mr. AE said he didn't want to see any more of them. He was born in 1948, so old enough to remember Trujillo and the life in SD under him. It didn't touch his family directly, except for his grandparents losing their huge finca on the malecon when El Jefe wanted to build La Feria. I can't even imagine what that land would be worth today. At least no one in the family died. He does remember pretty girls being sent to Spain to keep them away from the Trujillo brothers.

    We were glad to see the ones with the interviews, those old folks will all be gone soon, and with them "the stories".




    Super Moderator
    DR1.com

  2. Likes waytogo, keepcoming liked this post
  3. #12
    Gold
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,888
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucifer View Post
    No, but you did say Trujillo didn't place his stolen money in Swiss banks.

    That is not quite what I said. Read it again.
    In any event, Trujillo's greed ended up helping Dominicans more after his death than crooked presidents of Haiti.

  4. #13
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,549
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xavier_Onassis View Post
    That is not quite what I said. Read it again.
    In any event, Trujillo's greed ended up helping Dominicans more after his death than crooked presidents of Haiti.
    You said, "in contrast to..."

    But that's OK. The rest of these DR newcomers, AND innocent Bachata, can keep adoring the tyrant. Good for them. Not so good for some of us.

  5. Likes bonao99 liked this post
  6. #14
    Silver
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,157
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Have you read "The Feast of the Goat?" It's about Trujillo's last day, told from several points of view: his, Balaguer's, the plotters, etc. It's quite wonderful and it's the first time Llosa has written about anything other than Peru.

    Of course they cried at his funeral. He was all they ever knew, and they knew they'd better cry. Trujillo had campesinos convinced that he could read their minds if they even THOUGHT anything disloyal about him. He was a horrible, horrible man and his legacy of murder and graft set the stage for the DR we know today.

  7. #15
    Silver
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,940
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Well the only thing I know is Trujillo built the most precious building in the world for me, I am from Santiago and like any other Santiaguero I love "El Monumento" made off marble from the botton to the top.

    He left some of his stolen money in public facilities...

    JJ

  8. #16
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    565
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bachata View Post
    Well the only thing I know is Trujillo built the most precious building in the world for me, I am from Santiago and like any other Santiaguero I love "El Monumento" made off marble from the botton to the top.

    He left some of his stolen money in public facilities...

    JJ
    He did not build it for you or for el pueblo. He ordered the construction is his honor..

    Germany has great highways.. Was built on orders of A. Hitler..

  9. Likes nigrarosa, VIMAN68 liked this post
  10. #17
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    565
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    hated dictator? i don't think so. his killers became wanted criminals and were hunted down. imbert barreras was the only one who survived. trujillo was buried with all the honours too. i think that many people loved him. and who knows, if ramfis could manage to keep the control of the country trujillo would have been called a hero even today. hell, if you read comments in dominican media you will see many people who want mano dura to be back.
    He was buried with honors because his family who was still in power ordered to do so..

    If Dominicans really loved Trujillo they would still use the name of Ciudad Trujillo for Santo Domingo..

  11. #18
    Moderator - North Coast Forum
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    29,768
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    this is exactly what i said. the power slipped from his family. if it did not, he'd be worship even today, all his crimes swept under the rug. the history only judges the losers, never the winners.

    North Coast Moderator

  12. #19
    Silver
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,397
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Whether you agree with or not very interesting bit of history. Trujillo history / stories good or bad fascinate many. When we visit my in-laws my FIL has many stories about Trujillo which I find interesting.

  13. #20
    Regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    152
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Meemselle View Post
    Have you read "The Feast of the Goat?" It's about Trujillo's last day, told from several points of view: his, Balaguer's, the plotters, etc. It's quite wonderful and it's the first time Llosa has written about anything other than Peru.

    Of course they cried at his funeral. He was all they ever knew, and they knew they'd better cry. Trujillo had campesinos convinced that he could read their minds if they even THOUGHT anything disloyal about him. He was a horrible, horrible man and his legacy of murder and graft set the stage for the DR we know today.
    It's important to bear in mind that "La fiesta del chivo" is a novel, and therefore mixes reality with personal views, as acknowledged by Vargas Llosa.

  14. Likes Frank the Tank liked this post
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO