Trujillo Death and funeral, May 1961.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Always heard Trujillo was one of the most hatred president of DR but watching in this documentary all those women crying for the lost of a leader the day of his funeral I have changed my mind.

Enjoy.

[video=youtube;c9r1KW790PA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9r1KW790PA[/video]

I was born just a couple months before of his death.

JJ

Aug 6, 2006
He was like a father to the people. An overbearing, tyrannical father to some, a loving, all powerful father to others. People cried when Stalin and Mao died as well.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Always heard Trujillo was one of the most hatred president of DR but watching in this documentary all those women crying for the lost of a leader the day of his funeral I have changed my mind.

Enjoy.

[video=youtube;c9r1KW790PA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9r1KW790PA[/video]

I was born just a couple months before of his death.

JJ

I had the exact same thoughts when I saw this video too :smoke:

[video]https://youtu.be/mSLJYbhXCkE?t=39s[/video]

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
hated dictator? i don't think so. his killers became wanted criminals and were hunted down. imbert barreras was the only one who survived. trujillo was buried with all the honours too. i think that many people loved him. and who knows, if ramfis could manage to keep the control of the country trujillo would have been called a hero even today. hell, if you read comments in dominican media you will see many people who want mano dura to be back.

Aug 6, 2006
The best thing about Trujillo was that he stole the money hand over fist, and by the time he died, he owned a lot of the country. He built roads and paved streets to get his beer to market, and he build electrical plants to keep his beer cold.
This is a contrast with the typical Haitian presidents, who kept their money in French and Swiss banks and built hardly anything, and when the people got tired of them, they migrated to France or Switzerland. where they could pretend to be French or Swiss.

Everyone enjoys a mano dura when applied to those people he does not like.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Bachata, the innocent poster, and XO, the professor, are wrong this time: Trujillo was a tyrant and kept his $$$ in Swiss banks. And yes, some folks cried when he got killed. They cried in North Korea, too, when Dear Leader gave up the ghost.

Too bad there's no hell.

Aug 6, 2006
Of course Trujillo was an odious, venial tyrant. And I did not say that Trujillo did not deserve to go to Hell. However, he DID build a lot of industries and the infrastructure needed to help them prosper, rather than follow th4 typical Haitian model, which was to keep ALL the money in Swiss banks.
Many people love authority and worship the national leader no matter what a pr?ck he may have been. There were those that even mourned Joseph Mobutu and Pol Pot.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Ramfis was one strange looking dude.

You think so? We watched the video, and a couple behind it, and I said he was good looking.

After seeing a couple of the videos, Mr. AE said he didn't want to see any more of them. He was born in 1948, so old enough to remember Trujillo and the life in SD under him. It didn't touch his family directly, except for his grandparents losing their huge finca on the malecon when El Jefe wanted to build La Feria. I can't even imagine what that land would be worth today. At least no one in the family died. He does remember pretty girls being sent to Spain to keep them away from the Trujillo brothers.

We were glad to see the ones with the interviews, those old folks will all be gone soon, and with them "the stories".

Aug 6, 2006
No, but you did say Trujillo didn't place his stolen money in Swiss banks.

That is not quite what I said. Read it again.
In any event, Trujillo's greed ended up helping Dominicans more after his death than crooked presidents of Haiti.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
That is not quite what I said. Read it again.
In any event, Trujillo's greed ended up helping Dominicans more after his death than crooked presidents of Haiti.

You said, "in contrast to..."

But that's OK. The rest of these DR newcomers, AND innocent Bachata, can keep adoring the tyrant. Good for them. Not so good for some of us.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Have you read "The Feast of the Goat?" It's about Trujillo's last day, told from several points of view: his, Balaguer's, the plotters, etc. It's quite wonderful and it's the first time Llosa has written about anything other than Peru.

Of course they cried at his funeral. He was all they ever knew, and they knew they'd better cry. Trujillo had campesinos convinced that he could read their minds if they even THOUGHT anything disloyal about him. He was a horrible, horrible man and his legacy of murder and graft set the stage for the DR we know today.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Well the only thing I know is Trujillo built the most precious building in the world for me, I am from Santiago and like any other Santiaguero I love "El Monumento" made off marble from the botton to the top.

He left some of his stolen money in public facilities...

JJ

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
Well the only thing I know is Trujillo built the most precious building in the world for me, I am from Santiago and like any other Santiaguero I love "El Monumento" made off marble from the botton to the top.

He left some of his stolen money in public facilities...

JJ

He did not build it for you or for el pueblo. He ordered the construction is his honor..

Germany has great highways.. Was built on orders of A. Hitler..

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
hated dictator? i don't think so. his killers became wanted criminals and were hunted down. imbert barreras was the only one who survived. trujillo was buried with all the honours too. i think that many people loved him. and who knows, if ramfis could manage to keep the control of the country trujillo would have been called a hero even today. hell, if you read comments in dominican media you will see many people who want mano dura to be back.

He was buried with honors because his family who was still in power ordered to do so..

If Dominicans really loved Trujillo they would still use the name of Ciudad Trujillo for Santo Domingo..

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
this is exactly what i said. the power slipped from his family. if it did not, he'd be worship even today, all his crimes swept under the rug. the history only judges the losers, never the winners.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Whether you agree with or not very interesting bit of history. Trujillo history / stories good or bad fascinate many. When we visit my in-laws my FIL has many stories about Trujillo which I find interesting.

b?rbaro

Jul 9, 2014
Have you read "The Feast of the Goat?" It's about Trujillo's last day, told from several points of view: his, Balaguer's, the plotters, etc. It's quite wonderful and it's the first time Llosa has written about anything other than Peru.

Of course they cried at his funeral. He was all they ever knew, and they knew they'd better cry. Trujillo had campesinos convinced that he could read their minds if they even THOUGHT anything disloyal about him. He was a horrible, horrible man and his legacy of murder and graft set the stage for the DR we know today.

It's important to bear in mind that "La fiesta del chivo" is a novel, and therefore mixes reality with personal views, as acknowledged by Vargas Llosa.