Back from SDO

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
I had a wonderful vacation in SDO, thanks mainly to the girl I was with. Second time I meet her and her Mom.
And thanks for the restaurant recommendations posters made on that thread. Big fan of mofongo.
Question. I am going to learn Espanol, take lessons. Do you suggest a private tutor or a small class setting?
I can do either. Cost is about the same.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
Find a Spanish speaking person to converse with if possible it will be cheaper. Look at some free language internet sites is a start.
Start small. Learn greetings and food, then move on to phrases you need when you are traveling.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Special Vocabulary

... Learn greetings and food, then move on to phrases you need when you are traveling.

The OP's situation calls for a very special vocabulary. :classic:
Thus I recommend a private tutor.

donP

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am against private tutoring. it's a waste of time. best environment to learn foreign language is a school with relatively small classes, maybe 10 people max. it makes learning more fun and more competitive. it's good to see oneself in relation to others, their skills and their abilities.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
The OP's situation calls for a very special vocabulary. :classic:
Thus I recommend a private tutor.

donP

LOL done, already taken care of the "special vocabulary" part wink wink :classic: She speaks good English BTW.
I need to learn the language though, no reason to be lazy about it. Her family and friends would like that also.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
i am against private tutoring. it's a waste of time. best environment to learn foreign language is a school with relatively small classes, maybe 10 people max. it makes learning more fun and more competitive. it's good to see oneself in relation to others, their skills and their abilities.

This is not true in all cases. I hired a private tutor and he had excellent ideas for learning. He also taught Dominicans how to speak English. At times he would arrange outings for a few of us to go grocery shopping or out for coffee and snacks. We got to practice on each other. We had to order in the language we were learning. It was fun.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
The full 5 CD Rosetta Stone Latin American Spanish offers a good foundation if you are apart from Spanish speakers and like to learn as and when you have spare time.

As an excellent reference try and find '501 Spanish Verbs' by Kendris and Kendris published by Barrons Barrons Educational Books

Aug 6, 2006
Spanish Grammar for Speakers of English is very helpful.
Th learn vocabulary, use flashcards.
There are cheaper Spanish programs than Rosetta Stone, but Rosetta Stone is okay.
The Pimsleur cassettes are a waste of time and money.