A question on US immigration

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
After long hours on hold and multiple phone calls with no answer, I'm hoping someone with experience here has an answer.

My wife entered the US legally at the age of 3. She returned to the DR (not deported) at the age of 10 and her mother turned in all of her paperwork upon arrival in the DR.

My wife, her mother, nor father have those documents. They are gone.

I am filling out a DS-260 for my wife and need her alien registration number, visa number, visa type, and visa issuance date.

I have called the NVC, USCIS, US Embassy, and USCIS Office in Santo Domingo for an answer of where I can get these documents.

The only response I got was (from an NVC phone call):

1) I (her husband) go to a local USCIS office in the USA and request the paperwork. They told me it's unlikely they would give it to me since I am not her.

2) File a Freedom of Information Act - Form G639 for the information. I feel it's highly unlikely if not impossible with this option.

3) My wife can go to the USCIS office in Santo Domingo and request the info. Here's their quote:
Please be advised that you may appear at the consular section 2nd floor USCIS any Tuesday or Thursday between the hours of 8-11am for more information.

Option three seems the most likely to yield results. However, when they say at the end "for more information" I don't know what that means. When I call to confirm if she can get this information there, I get sucked into a game of hold and transfers that gets me right back to the department I started with.

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
Assuming she was issued a green card, you must download and fill out form I-90, application to replace a lost green card. She can then visit a USCIS office, show a government issued ID, and the officer will look it up for her, using her name and date of birth. That is the process here in the US, hopefully it should be as easy at the office there.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
@ricky I have called them no less than 3 times about this and they do not have an answer. They tell me I have to call the USCIS for an answer since this would be in their department.

Assuming she was issued a green card, you must download and fill out form I-90, application to replace a lost green card. She can then visit a USCIS office, show a government issued ID, and the officer will look it up for her, using her name and date of birth. That is the process here in the US, hopefully it should be as easy at the office there.

I don't know if that works in her case? She was a minor on entry and a minor upon exit. Her mother had all of the paperwork and turned it all in.

I looked at the form and the first thing they ask for is the Alien Registration Number.

We don't have that number.

Last edited:

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
I'm not so smart.

There is a button to check if you don't have this information and you can move forward.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
@ricky I have called them no less than 3 times about this and they do not have an answer. They tell me I have to call the USCIS for an answer since this would be in their department.

I don't know if that works in her case? She was a minor on entry and a minor upon exit. Her mother had all of the paperwork and turned it all in.

I looked at the form and the first thing they ask for is the Alien Registration Number.

We don't have that number.

She needs to go in person to a Dominican Consular where she will be given a form to fill out
for LOST Alien Registration card. Some of the questions asked are father and mother's name,
maiden name, place of birth, date of entry, etc. Just state age when she entered the US, put
in comments, can't recall number. They just need to know as much info as they can to locate records.

Also where it asks for number just put cannot recall was a child. They will know when they see the
date of entry.

Many years ago prior to becoming a US citizen, I had lost my Alien Registration card and this is what
I did. I too did not recall the number. The card was then mailed to me. It took a few weeks.

Or you can download the form online like DRdreaming stated and go in person to Consular.

Last edited:

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
She needs to go in person to a Dominican Consular where she will be given a form to fill out
for LOST Alien Registration card. Some of the questions asked are father and mother's name,
maiden name, place of birth, date of entry, etc. Just state age when she entered the US, put
in comments, can't recall number. They just need to know as much info as they can to locate records.

Also where it asks for number just put cannot recall was a child. They will know when they see the
date of entry.

Many years ago prior to becoming a US citizen, I had lost my Alien Registration card and this is what
I did. I too did not recall the number. The card was then mailed to me. It took a few weeks.

Or you can download the form online like DRdreaming stated and go in person to Consular.

I forgot to mention that the reason for going in person to Consular is because while there immigration
officials will take her fingerprints to make sure that she is the person on record. As you are aware
that anyone who has entered the US has fingerprints on file.

Nunez88

Oct 13, 2015
After long hours on hold and multiple phone calls with no answer, I'm hoping someone with experience here has an answer.

My wife entered the US legally at the age of 3. She returned to the DR (not deported) at the age of 10 and her mother turned in all of her paperwork upon arrival in the DR.

My wife, her mother, nor father have those documents. They are gone.

I am filling out a DS-260 for my wife and need her alien registration number, visa number, visa type, and visa issuance date.

I have called the NVC, USCIS, US Embassy, and USCIS Office in Santo Domingo for an answer of where I can get these documents.

The only response I got was (from an NVC phone call):

1) I (her husband) go to a local USCIS office in the USA and request the paperwork. They told me it's unlikely they would give it to me since I am not her.

2) File a Freedom of Information Act - Form G639 for the information. I feel it's highly unlikely if not impossible with this option.

3) My wife can go to the USCIS office in Santo Domingo and request the info. Here's their quote:

Option three seems the most likely to yield results. However, when they say at the end "for more information" I don't know what that means. When I call to confirm if she can get this information there, I get sucked into a game of hold and transfers that gets me right back to the department I started with.

Are you still having a problem with this??