Car import tax

Paulino

Jan 4, 2002
I am considering acquiring a second hand car to be used on my more or less frequent visits to the Dominican Republic. But I am unsure which would be the more sensible way to aqcuire it - e.g. buying it in the US (Florida) and have it shipped over, or simply buy one from a local dealer in the DR. What I can't seem to make sense of is the question of import tax on motor vehicles - how is it calculated? Case in question let's say a 1996 or 1997 Toyota Corolla. Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Danilo

Jan 4, 2002
car taxes

We just move to the DR on August 2001 and I had the first hand experience of dealing with customs. I have a mixed feelings of dealing with the government, but it was very fustrating and time comsuming.
I had two deal with customs on two different times because our cars had to come two month apart from each other. Our cars where only a year old and we payed a lot. However, they have just about all the cars in a computer database with the prices they charge for them and its very straight foward. I have to say that in no part of dealing with customs did someone ask me for a bribe. I did handed 20 pesos here and 200 pesos there to speed up the process, but the tax amount is set by the computer and even though I tried no one would change them (not to say that I can't be done, but I pushed to get it lower and failed) If you want to find out how much you would pay call aduana at 688-7070 ext 239 and ask for Mary in the Valores dept on the 7th floor of their main bldg on Mexico Ave.
Still, unless you have a lot of time and patience on your hands, I would strongly suggest you buy it here.
Hope this helps and good luck.
Danilo

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If you plan to leave the car here when you are not,who will "take care of" the car when you are not here? I feel the "presence" of a dominican who will "watch" the car for you! "the car will be here for you when you come,and you will save a lot of money on taxis!"Sound right? You can take thousans of taxis for what this car will cost you! First the purchase of the car,how about Full Insurance?lets say 10,000 pesos per year.Gas,over 2 dollars per gallon.Repairs,lots more.If an "un-licensed" driver crashes while driving your car,insurance doesen,t pay.In short, you will soon be without the car,and without your money! If you don,t live here you don,t need a car! Take lots of taxis don,t listen to your "friends" here who will benefit more than you.Criss