foreign currency maximum

drewboy

May 30, 2011
What is the maximum foreign currency we can carry per person leaving DR ?

Im reading 10,000 is this accurate ?

Thanks, not getting a solid answer anywhere.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
You can carry suitcases full of money if you want. You just have to report anything more than $10,000 US or it's foreign equivalent.

drewboy

May 30, 2011
Perfect thank you. I got hasselled a bit last time and they took me into the little room with 6 guys and counted out my money, signed for it and they gave it back and let me go. This time I have more, but under 10 grand. Wanted to double check the rules, not in the mood for trouble today

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Stash it somewhere.

There is no way they should know you have money..... just not a good idea.

A thousand her, three more there...... bury it around your belongings

My 2 cents..........

dropshort

May 18, 2008
WW

That advice is wrong. Three US residents tried that tactic and they confiscated all of it.
The three were just friends on vacation. Family members will be less successful.

DS

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Jesus, what is wrong with some of you people, been in the sun too long. He's not breaking any laws, why try to bring about suspicion on himself and ask for hassle.

drewboy

May 30, 2011
So if I had say 5000 Canadian dollars, and a rental receipt to match, all above board legit. Just put it in my carry on ?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Drop shorts..... less than $10,000, I should have made more clear...

I still maintain that if you're under the limit - stash the cash

we have said here many, many times :
do not let anybody know you have $$$$
It's a long road out of the airport

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
I don't think you have to declare a gold medallion (that you wear on a necklace) equal to the value of the cash you want to repatriate.

But this really isn't my area.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
When leaving Canada with more than $10K we are supposed to check in with customs and fill out a declaration before going through security. We are given a receipt that shows we made the declaration is case anyone asks later on in the journey. Of course you still have to check the box on the customs form handed out on the flight.

If you don't declare, you run the risk of losing it all, paying a fine or just getting a warning. You can be approached at your point of departure, when changing planes in an intermediary country our upon arrival at your destination.

There is no need to risk putting cash in your checked luggage, put it in your pocket and the pockets of those you are travelling with. As long as it has been declared and you have your declaration receipt, you shouldn't be delayed at all...unless you are travelling with millions, someone may need another form for that amount.

Why risk losing your money just to avoid having to fill out a form? Watch out for the beagles, they are apparently pretty good at sniffing out currency.

I have not left the DR with that amount of money so I don't know what the process is here on this end.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We also regularly carry quite a bit of cash into DR, but keep it just under $10,000USD.

I also bring our checkbook along, and that's considered part of your money, but I'd like to see them prove what I have in there. Have never had a question or problem in almost 40 years.

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
Come on people 9999 $ US dollars you are not breaking the law 10001$ US dollars you are its simple. WW is right split the money up between you carry on and personal self not all in one area.
The OP probably got harassed before because traveling to the DR send red flags because its the biggest HUB !!
Dude 5000 CDN your good my suggestion is to change it into US dollars your going to get fcuked on the exchange rate here for CCDN dollars.

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
We also regularly carry quite a bit of cash into DR, but keep it just under $10,000USD.

I also bring our checkbook along, and that's considered part of your money, but I'd like to see them prove what I have in there. Have never had a question or problem in almost 40 years.

Monetary instruments that are made payable to a named person but are NOT endorsed or which bear restrictive endorsements are NOT subject to reporting requirements, nor are credit cards with credit lines of over $10,000.

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
I don't think you have to declare a gold medallion (that you wear on a necklace) equal to the value of the cash you want to repatriate.

But this really isn't my area.

Gold bullion is not a monetary instrument for purposes of the US currency declaration requirement. It is not considered a "negotiable monetary instrument".

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I might slit it up. I do have receipts to match, explain.

I thank you for advise

The $10,000 US limit applies to a family. $10,000 US PER FAMILY that is traveling. If you have the receipts, you don't declare it, and they catch you, you will probably say good bye to the money.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I was pulled aside for my Bitcoin account last year @ STI, apparently this is now legal tender worldwide.
BE CAREFUL with any currency over $10K, is all I'm sayin'.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Gold bullion is not a monetary instrument for purposes of the US currency declaration requirement. It is not considered a "negotiable monetary instrument".

That is unless the "item" was produced by a govt. mint as a coin such as US gold eagles Krugerrands, Canadian Maples etc. in which case they are certainly currency as they have a face value stamped on the coin itself and must be declared. Really easy to go over the $10K limit with a few 1 oz gold coins and the loose change in your pocket.

Jan 9, 2004

Just to clarify:

This is traveling into the US, but I imagine the DR law mirrors the US:

Gold bullion in the form of a bar, be it 1oz or 1 pound, while not considered a monetary instrument for inclusion into the $10,000 restriction, must be declared.

More importantly, Gold coins issued by a monetary authority (country) that indicate a value on them (think Maple Leafs/American Eagle etc.) are considered monetary instruments AND are valued NOT on the value listed (Maple Leafs/Eagles are $50.00) BUT on the spot gold price fixed on the days/dates of travel.....unless they are numismatic (collector) coins, in which case the actual value of the coin controls....NOT the amount listed on the coin or its bullion value.

Further, if you travel with more than $10,000.00 between lets say a husband and wife or a family travelling together...you are in violation.

Your personal checkbook and credit cards are ok and need NOT be reported in most jurisdictions.

And what Cdn_Gringo and windeguy posted before me.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Last edited: