Jarabacoa

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
Can you drive to Jarabacoa safely from Santiago in a car or is an SUV mandatory? Also what are the best places to visit while there?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Cobraboy lives there, he pokes in here from time to time.
Saunders also lives up in Hamaca de Dios.

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
Nope, just drove around, it was late afternoon and getting dark.
OK thanks. I'm wondering if I can actually get to the waterfalls and/or somewhere clean to swim by car and also what else is there to do on a day trip.

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
You don't go directly to the waterfalls by car. You park your vehicle and walk to the falls. Myself, I like to go horseback riding to the falls.

OK thanks. That makes a lot of sense. Is there other stuff to do there besides the fall?

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
For Salto de Jimenao, the most likely waterfall to visit, you drive on a paved road from town to a car park on a paved which is about 50yds from the entrance to a walkway to the walls. This walkway is suspended for most of it length on one side of the valley before crossing over the river and a short walk to viewing position. All in all the walkway after the entrance pay booth is maybe 300yds. View images of the falls on Google to see what you will be visiting.

There is another access to the falls from the Constanza road but doubt very much you would like that hike.

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
If you prefer a more leisurely scenic driving trip through the mountain towns and you are travelling by car, you could drive up to Jarbacoa see the falls, take lunch (there is a decent restaurant in the town centre as I recall), and then take the very scenic new road winding through the hills to Constanza returning back to Autopista Duarte direct from Constanza with a less than one hour drive to Santiago to follow. Allow about 8/9 hours for that on good roads (that is how long it took me from the capital with a few cold beer stops).