Punta Cana Airport to Las Terrenas

Brian Burgess

May 22, 2015
Hola!

I had a passport glitch and a group of my friends, who I had a reservation with for a shuttle, all ended up landing today, I will land tomorrow in Punta Cana. My final destination in the DR is in Las Terrenas, the most affordable way to get there I saw was just rent a car. It's going to cost roughly 100 USD for a 5 day rental. Anyone else have any other suggestions?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you can get a rental for 5 days at $100 you are way ahead already, but I doubt it very much.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
only other way (cheap) would be to get yourself to the Caribe Tours parada at the new toll road north (#7)

and then bus from there..........

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Not unusual to get an economy car for $20/day. But that is without the insurance of the Mandatory liability or for a tourist the very necessary "full" insurance which is about $35/day more.
The best route via bus is on Bavaro Express to SD (if possible get off at Toll Road entrance) and then on Transporte Las Terenas from SD to LT.

To me that sounds too good to be true. ;)
Report LT next...

donP

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
As others have just said,, you are WAY AHEAD , and maybe you just dont know it... $100 for a car for 5 days ? thats Awesome
.. you got nothing to worry about now other than putting some gas into the tank, which will be like 220-250 pesos a Gallon ( not sure what it is right now) so figure 2 mil pesos (thats close to $50).. and make sure you have a Good GPS with UPDATED MAPS Loaded , and also PRINT a map out as a backup ... and you are good to go.. drive carefully, and have fun..
anything further would be overthinking it.. keep it simple.

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
Where does Bavaro Express drop you off in Santo Domingo, is it close to Caribe or Metro?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Not that close, you will need to take a taxi. Both stops are on the same side of the city as Caribetours (Leopoldo Navarro esq. 27), Metro is a little further away (Churchill casi esq. 27).

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
There is a way...

There's a tour operator that will get you to Samana City via van and boat for $159 USD. From there take a cab for $60 iirc.

The PC hotels know the tour operator.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Dominican Shuttles has a daily morning flight into Arryo Barril/Samana from Punta Cana, not sure of the cost at this period of year.
From the airport you could then take the guagua to LT...

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
ha renting a car on vacation is something peeps dont understand....of course if you cant afford it ...thats diff.. but f--k it man your on v a c a t i o n ....supposed to spend....i always try to rent first time in a new place... rented in a few places... first time in d.r. didnt need a car but there were plenty of motor bike rentals all over the place. so i got one of em...
insurance....you can fight with them over the cost.... they want the rental... credit cards offer insurance....you can take your own pics....a scratch to a dom rental comp is free money....and they love free...

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
Dominican Shuttles has a daily morning flight into Arryo Barril/Samana from Punta Cana, not sure of the cost at this period of year.
From the airport you could then take the guagua to LT...

If you like landing into mango trees on a golf course.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
i think the advice here is falling on deaf ears..
he posted at 10 pm the other night saying he is leaving the next day
. checked at like 5 am probably before going to the airport, saw no responses at that time, and now he is already in Las Terrenas.
LOL

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hola!

I had a passport glitch and a group of my friends, who I had a reservation with for a shuttle, all ended up landing today, I will land tomorrow in Punta Cana. My final destination in the DR is in Las Terrenas, the most affordable way to get there I saw was just rent a car. It's going to cost roughly 100 USD for a 5 day rental. Anyone else have any other suggestions?

Car rental is fine. You do realize though you are looking at about a 5-6 hour ride if you don't get lost. Why would you fly into PC? Wait, don't tell me the flight was a lot cheaper. If you are on vacation why would you want to spend 2 days travelling back and forth to your final destination? I don't care how much you "saved on your airfare" It is not worth the slepp from PC all the way to LT. If you flew into SDQ it would be under 3 hours. Into AZS El Catey 30 minutes. What....

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
LT,

This is the DR. Any use of logic and planning by locals or visitors is apparently not allowed. It's like in that other thread where the person travelling to Gibraltar is opting to enter the EU via Spain and then drive to their destination while already possessing a UK entry visa. You just has to shake your head and move on or you'll eventually go insane.

The need to necessarily complicate everything is strong in most...

Last edited:

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
LT,

This is the DR. Any use of logic and planning by locals or visitors is apparently not allowed. It's like in that other thread where the person travelling to Gibraltar is opting to enter the EU via Spain and then drive to their destination while already possessing a UK entry visa. You just has to shake your head and move on or you'll eventually go insane.

The need to necessarily complicate everything is strong in most...

You are right on. Changes in attitudes, changes in latitudes, nothing remains quite the same. Through all of the islands and all of the highlands if we couldn't laugh we would all go insane(J.Buffett)