Finally made it to SD

joselowe

May 5, 2015
Came back in one piece thankfully lol

But I will def come back to this country, loved the weather and loved the Dominican people they swore up and down that I was dominican and couldn't believe that I wasn't, even on the plane ride there and back.

I stayed on Colonial Zone and the local food in SD was horrible unless you went to a more expensive restaurant. Also as a gay traveler I was shocked at how many Dominican (men and women) are bisexual but won't claim gay. One of my gay friends I met at my gay themed hotel got our waiter at a nice restaraunt and several hot bartenders for the right price. Very shocking considering many of these men had wives or Gfs.

Something else I noticed and loved is that despite how poor the country is everyone seems so positive very friendly people. And I loved taking pics of the area near the cathedral near conde.

Overall I loved this city and would love to come back, especially to donate supplies and clothes to the dominican people. This was my first 3rd world country and I love the dominican people but NO ONE deserves to live in those kind of conditions.

But I can't wait til my next trip!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'm glad you had a good time and want to go back.

I hope DR1 helped out with some of the advice given.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Came back in one piece thankfully lol.............

LOL, glad you survived and had a good time.

..........I stayed on Colonial Zone and the local food in SD was horrible unless you went to a more expensive restaurant.......

You nailed it, food in Gazcue is crap. Unless as you mention you go the the more expensive restaurants. I have been living in Gazcue for almost three years and have yet to find a place that can make a simple thin sliced ham and cheese sandwich. Dominicans idea of a sandwich is one piece of meat and one piece of cheese. And if you blink your eye they will squirt ketchup and mayo on the sandwich without asking. A pastrami sandwich? I must be hallucinating.

...........Also as a gay traveler I was shocked at how many Dominican (men and women) are bisexual but won't claim gay. One of my gay friends I met at my gay themed hotel got our waiter at a nice restaraunt and several hot bartenders for the right price. Very shocking considering many of these men had wives or Gfs........

You just confirmed what I always thought because I have seen just way, way, way too many "gay" looking men in la Zona. It is your lifestyle so I am sure you can spot them a lot quicker than me but I honestly believe a lot of these dudes, girlfriends or not, will go either way.

..........but NO ONE deserves to live in those kind of conditions.....

bro you haven't seen nothing but the tip of the iceberg. Folks living in this country so bad you just shake your head and wonder why some peeps have to have it so bad. It just makes me more appreciative of what little I have.

Sorry I missed you, would have loved to share a cold one with you........ but that's all. LOL

joselowe

May 5, 2015
LOL, glad you survived and had a good time.

You nailed it, food in Gazcue is crap. Unless as you mention you go the the more expensive restaurants. I have been living in Gazcue for almost three years and have yet to find a place that can make a simple thin sliced ham and cheese sandwich. Dominicans idea of a sandwich is one piece of meat and one piece of cheese. And if you blink your eye they will squirt ketchup and mayo on the sandwich without asking. A pastrami sandwich? I must be hallucinating.

You just confirmed what I always thought because I have seen just way, way, way too many "gay" looking men in la Zona. It is your lifestyle so I am sure you can spot them a lot quicker than me but I honestly believe a lot of these dudes, girlfriends or not, will go either way.

bro you haven't seen nothing but the tip of the iceberg. Folks living in this country so bad you just shake your head and wonder why some peeps have to have it so bad. It just makes me more appreciative of what little I have.

Sorry I missed you, would have loved to share a cold one with you........ but that's all. LOL
Next time I'll hit you up! And by cold one I hope you don't mean that horrible Presidente! Those things are awful but everyone seems to love them

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Next time I'll hit you up! And by cold one I hope you don't mean that horrible Presidente! Those things are awful but everyone seems to love them

Yeah, a Presidente. When in Rome............

Did you meet friends at Pacos/Grands? I am almost sure I mentioned to you there is usually a table with some gay English speaking gringos that hang out there.

Glad you had a good time. la rep dom is like my second country and I always feel good when someone visits here and has a good time. la rep dom sure isn't perfect but with the right attitude it can be a very enjoyable place.

Next trip try to get out to Agora Mall, Naco, Piatini areas and you will be amazed. The words third world are not even whispered in these areas. Nothing but first class living.

joselowe

May 5, 2015
Yeah, a Presidente. When in Rome............

Did you meet friends at Pacos/Grands? I am almost sure I mentioned to you there is usually a table with some gay English speaking gringos that hang out there.

Glad you had a good time. la rep dom is like my second country and I always feel good when someone visits here and has a good time. la rep dom sure isn't perfect but with the right attitude it can be a very enjoyable place.

Next trip try to get out to Agora Mall, Naco, Piatini areas and you will be amazed. The words third world are not even whispered in these areas. Nothing but first class living.
Pacos and Grands I didnt meet anyone. The only people getting action there were the white tourists and the dark skinned blk men. Most assumed I was dominican so I actually didn't have 1 single person approach me.

But my hotel had hundreds of buggarones across the street trying to solicite us all but the buggarones kept telling me I was dominican one thought I was a buggarone myself lol

But I def have to check out that mall and other areas. I'd like to hopefully but clothes and supplies for the needy of SD there, because I don't wanna have to pay a import tax

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Glad you had a good time..next time you come get out a bit more and see the county. Come back soon!!!

cpowell920

Jul 7, 2015
Heading to SD in a couple of weeks, you know anyone that might want to serve as a personal tour guide?

cpowell920

Jul 7, 2015
Hey "keepcoming" - coming to SD in a couple of weeks and looking for a personal tour guide in and outside of the city. Do you know of an honest person that might be interested?

cpowell920

Jul 7, 2015
"Curlando" - I'm planning a visit in a couple of weeks and would like to see the DR outside of SD. Any ideas on a personal tour guide?

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
This best I can recommend is use one of the travel sites like Expedia or Trip Advisor. I booked a tour with Expedia but that was a while ago.
There may be individuals hanging around where you are staying that may offer you a tour of the city. I do not recommend going this route.
Now if you see a legitimate tour bus and a driver. Pull him or her to the side and asked how for a tour and if the price is right go with it.
You can negotiate for most things in DR. Just do not jump at the first price quoted.
Please be careful, use common sense and you will be fine. Don't be afraid to ask questions on this boards.
Top 30 Things to Do in Santo Domingo, Caribbean on TripAdvisor: Santo Domingo Attractions

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
The well known and very popular Casa Sanchez Boutique Hotel in the Colonial Zone have an associate company who offer airport transfers and tours/ excursions which range from a 3 hour Walking Tour of the Colonial Zone to various tours of Santo Domingo, trips to Saona Island which include catamaran and speedboat etc and other tailor-made tours with professional and experienced English speaking drivers. Let me know if you would like more details.