new to the dr

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdaddyt1964

May 26, 2015
hello all my name is thomas, and i will be here looking to set up my very first trip to sosua in October 2016.

planning a 7 night test run with my first paid vacation,
if all goes well this would be an annual trip for my twin brother and i.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Welcome to DR1 Thomas.

Quite a long planning period, first trip to DR or just first trip to Sosua?

bigdaddyt1964

May 26, 2015
first trip to DR and Sosua.

planning this far out so i can get all the info i can the dos and don'ts and can find out good info
where to meet people when i make the trip ect.

thanks for the welcome alterego

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
There are a lot of dos and don'ts in DR.
Watch your cash. In seven days you can spend a lot of cash. Carry about 20 one dollar bills for handing out tips.
Do not buy pesos in the airport or on the streets in Sosua. Wait till you get to your hotel and find a bank or good money exchange; you may need your passport at the bank. Know the exchange rate to buy pesos. The bank will have the correct rate daily.
From the time you land in the airport the objective of most people that approach you especially if they speak English is to separate you from you cash. If you don't see the price of anything you going to buy ask the price and negotiate.
Dominicans are genuinely friendly but watch out for women that approach you and start feeling your body with their hands. They might be pick pockets.
Make a copy of your passport;carry the copy with you for ID lock your real passport away in the hotel safe.
Try breakfast at New Gardens hotel, lunch at Susanna's and the ribs for dinner at Rockys. You can also visit Baileys for lunch for a cafeteria style Dominican lunch.
Do visit Cabarete and have a drink at one of the bars on the beach. That beach water on the North coast can be rough so watch if you decide to go in the water.
This is a good start for dos and don'ts and take lots of photos.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
Big daddy, the north cost has it all especially Sosua. Restaraunts, water, sun, fuuuunnnn. If you need any help finding anything this is the place to ask. Get 10 posts (easy) and you can send me a private message. Let me know what you need. Tom

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
hello all my name is thomas, and i will be here looking to set up my very first trip to sosua in October 2016.

First, welcome to DR1!

Sosua can be a fun town, think "never ending bachelor party," and you'll have the right idea.

There's a small strip on Pedro Clisante where everybody gathers from about 7 p.m. on. Impossible to miss. Once you're there, you can figure the rest out.

I'd consider renting a small villa. Relatively inexpensive for two people, spacious, more privacy, less noise, and you get your own pool.

The advice you've gotten so far is really good. Restaurants are totally subjective, of course, but my recommendations would be:

- Jose O'Shays in Cabarete for breakfast: really good, plus a nice change of scenery. They also have great regular menu items. It's the best of the "on the beach" restaurants, though it can be more expensive than the options below (you're paying for the great location).

- Bourbon Street at the Victorian House Hotel in Sosua: solid menu in general, and quite likely the largest, meatiest and tastiest ribs in the country. That's not an exaggeration, they really are that good, and don't need any sauce at all. "Big D" used to be a personal chef for celebrity types, and it shows. Seafood is good, although portions can be smaller. The shrimp po boy is one of the best I've had anywhere.

- Morua Moi: consistent, widely diverse menu. Not the best at any particular dish, but very good with most things. It was my favorite until the owner felt the urge to call my friends and I "Playa" every time he saw us. We've been customers for a decade, and his (co-owner)wife or their long-term staff of waiters don't seem to have issues with remembering us.

- Baileys: serves good NA food, and is open later than any of the above except O'Shays.

They all offer service on NA timelines, meaning you're generally eating 20 minutes after you order, unless you got something fairly complicated. I've eaten at all several times, and have never had stomach problems.

bigdaddyt1964

May 26, 2015
thanks everyone!!!

i have some experience with this type of scene. been to the philippines 4 times. it has been 8 years though so i'm a little rusty.
my twin has never been anywhere so this would be new for him in every sense of the word

bigdaddyt1964

May 26, 2015
just relax and hit a few places like la passion....
heard the area is a good place for beaches, and people watching, and culture mixing.
also interested in shops and history things.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Maybe you can find twin puta!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.