-Having 3 nationalities ?

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
-Does any of you know if it is legal to have 3 nationalities ?
I have dual citizenships, and my wife is dominican, so my kid will automatically be dominican, and inherit my 2 other nationalities ? Does that work ?
Thanks for your insights...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Just my unsolicited opinion.I am an American Citizen living in Santo Domingo.My wife is Dominican.We have a 4 year old son,and he has a 10 year old brother,my wife,s child from a previous relationship.We all live together.We chose to raise our son as a DOMINICAN.His "roots" are here,he goes to school here,most of his family is here,his friends are here.He is a dominican citizen,and an American citizen.We feel that a child needs to be part of a culture and a country.He knows that he has more family who live in America.His aunts,and 22 year old American brother come here to visit us. Someday he will go to visit there.He will probably go live with his brother to go to high school,or even the university.We hope that his "Heart and Soul" will be Dominican,with an American "Flavor". No matter where he goes in life he will be Proud to say,"Soy Tomas,Soy Dominicano!"Criss Colon

Capt. Larry

Jan 1, 2002
I do not know if it is legal or not. I am American, my wife is Dominican and our son was born in guatemala. He is a citizen of all three countries, currently being raised in the Dominican Republic.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
It depends on the laws of the three countries (D.R., Guatemala and the U.S.) The three of them must allow it concurrently. The Dominican Republic allows it (Article 11, Paragraph IV of Constitution). Have somebody check for you if it's also possible from a Guatemalan and U.S. legal standpoint.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
I am a citizen of 3 Countries. I have Passports from the US, Spain and the D.R.. And when uncle Fidel finally is gone I'll pick up my Cuban Passport as well!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Tony,"NO WAY!!""

Tony C,you may have a passport trom the United States,but you are not legally a Citizem.Next time you enter the US show your "three passports" to the immagration officer and ask him which one you should use.See how far you get! Criss Colon"How canyou swear allegiance to three differant countries,unless you arenot loyal to any of the three" Beats me!

Dual or tri citizenship

Fabio is correct depends on the country, it is my understanding that the USA recognizes dual citizenship. I have a friend born in Canada (therefore Canadian) adopted and raised in the USA and was granted US citizenship. They recognize her as dual.
But in Canada she is recogized as a Canadian only. She has a Canadian passport and US passport and uses them in their respective countries when she returns, both not both.

marina

Jan 2, 2002
www.kitexcite.com
american dual citizenship

The US does not allow dual citizenship. I know, I just checked as I am an Australian citizen with US permanent residency, and am moving to the DR next month. I wanted to get US citizenship so it wouldn't be such a hassle for me but the US and Australia don't recognize dual citizenship.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
If you became a US Citizen you probably wouldn't have to spend 3 months out of each year _in_ the US to keep your residency up. And, I've always wondered how anyone can take away your Australian citizenship - if you were born there. Seems like living in the DR will be the least of your concerns. Have a great time 'under the palms'.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Criss,
Being born in the US I have US Citizenship. Why would I show all three Passports to the Imigration officer? What he doesn't know won't hurt him.
As for loyalty. Spare me. I am a true American. My loyalty rest with whatever and whoever best serves me. Right now it is the US. But I can imagine many scenario where my loyalties would change.

Kelly Brooney

Jan 2, 2002
US does not allow dual

The only way you would maintain "dual" citizenship in the US is if you don't mention it. When you become a US citizen part of the oath is to "swear allegiance to the US and forsake all other nationalities"

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Americans jews can become israeli citizens.

many israeli citizens are born american citizens. If you are of a jewish decent, you can apply for an Israeli citizenship. I have heard that many american jewish politicians do hold israeli passport as well. American Immigration know of this american/israeli citizenship trend and allow it.
There were cases, where american jews have served in israeli army against wars with arabs.
Tell me all of you american military pundits: Is this allowed by the american constitution? Can an american citizen serve in a foreign country's military?
Well, the jews have done it and will do it again if the situation calls for it.
So the question for their loyalty remains in question....
I say, if jews can have dual citizenship, so can you.
case closed.

Last edited:

marina

Jan 2, 2002
www.kitexcite.com
What do you mean you have to return to US 3 months to maintain permanent residency status? I have called INS twice and they told me I only had to return one day per year to maintain my status..... IT was also suggested that when going back to the US, that I not show my passport..only my alien card...

The Joker

Jan 12, 2002
www.jcfdata.com
Dual Citizenship (CAN/USA)

- Marina - Be very careful, I suggest you contact a US immigration attorney, as I am not 100% sure but I believe you need to apply and recieve a reentry permit for any absence of greater then one year (used to be any absence of sixth months in one year) and the INS somtime has fairly starge math formula's for absence and entry etc. I do know that the INS is very pickry about perm rez that really do not live in the USA!

- Dual Citizenship

From the US State Department

While recognizing the existence of dual nationality and permitting Americans to have other nationalities, the U.S. Government does not endorse dual nationality as a matter of policy because of the problems which it may cause.

http://travel.state.gov/dualnationality.html

Canada also VERY MUCH allows dual citizenship.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizen/dualci_e.html

James Fleming

LazyGirl

Jan 12, 2002
To Marina...

I know for a fact that if you are a permanent resident of the United States you can't be out of the Country for more than 6 months. If you are planning on being out longer than that you should either become a US citizen or apply for a permit that allows you to stay out for a year, 2 in some cases, it cost $125 in nyc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As per having 3 nationalities, I was born in Santo Domingo, Grew up in Venezuela and right now I'm living in New York City. I have a Dominican as well as Venezuelan passport, I use either or, depending on where I'm traveling. And right now I'm working on becoming a US citizen.

The Joker

Jan 12, 2002
www.jcfdata.com
Re: To Marina...

I believe they have changed that to 1 year in there latest update of the INS regulations.

However in my experience it is better to do even more then they require to appear to be following there laws and going above and beyond to ensure you protect your status.

I cannot stress enough that IMHO talking to you US immigration attorney and telling him/her that you want to play it very safe, is the best route.

The Joker

LazyGirl said:
I know for a fact that if you are a permanent resident of the United States you can't be out of the Country for more than 6 months. If you are planning on being out longer than that you should either become a US citizen or apply for a permit that allows you to stay out for a year, 2 in some cases, it cost $125 in nyc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As per having 3 nationalities, I was born in Santo Domingo, Grew up in Venezuela and right now I'm living in New York City. I have a Dominican as well as Venezuelan passport, I use either or, depending on where I'm traveling. And right now I'm working on becoming a US citizen.

marina

Jan 2, 2002
www.kitexcite.com
no dual US/Australia citizenship..tips for US citizens/perm residents

Hi all,
I met with an immigration attorney, tax attorney and CPA. US immigration does allow travel for 1 year, as long as you return within the calendar year at least one day. However, you are all correct. Depending on the customs agent you get, it is better to return for a longer period of time, and you score more points if:
1) you own property in the US
2) if the majority of your immediate family lives in the US
3) if you continue to file income taxes as a (name your state) resident, or at least continue to file taxes as a non resident.
If you travel over one year, immigration requires a re-entry permit.

Australia was in the process of allowing dual citizenship but did not pass before the election. The incumbent gov't party won, so I would assume that it will go through this year.

To file for US naturalizaion, you must have had a residence within the US for 5 consecutive years. 2 1/2 of those years must have been spent within the residence you have been in for 5 years.