Blue Jays? Miguel Castro rises from humble beginnings

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
VILLA HERMOSA, DOMINICAN REPUBLIC?In the unlikely event the Blue Jays ever ask Miguel Castro?s uncle for his opinion, he will strongly suggest they employ his nephew as a starting pitcher, rather than a reliever. There are baseball reasons, sure, but mostly it would just make it so much easier for him to let everyone here know when Castro is pitching.

?We could make a schedule!? says Hector Baez, sounding relieved simply by the thought.

Without the benefit of a predictable turn in the rotation, Baez served as a human siren for his nephew?s big-league appearances earlier this season, scrambling to spread the word around town every time the towering beanpole was called out of the Jays? bullpen. Baez?s frantic routine began with a stream of hurried text messages and Facebook posts.

Then, he would literally stick his head out his second-floor window, which overlooks a small public square, and yell, ?Miguel?s pitching!? before hopping on his scooter to pick up his sister and brother-in-law ? Miguel?s parents, who don?t have cable ? and racing them back before the end of the commercial break. Along the way he yelled and waved at the barbershops and colmados ? corner stores ? where neighbours often congregate around a television, telling them to turn on the Jays? game.

?I?m like his voice here in Villa Hermosa,? Baez says, proudly. ?He?s like a child of the whole town.?

Full article here:

Blue Jays? Miguel Castro rises from humble beginnings

[video]http://bcove.me/hci8brws[/video]

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
I have seen him pitch twice this year in Toronto. He has a promising career ahead of him as part of a future young and very talented up and coming Blue Jay pitching staff. He throws very hard for a beanpole.