Heading your way next year to stay!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tanis

Jun 4, 2015
Hi, my boyfriend and I are planning to move to the dominican early 2016...sooooo many things to do for residency...finding work...deciding where abouts we want to put down roots....and probably a million things I have yet to think of!

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Welcome to DR1! Do your homework (get to know the country very well before making a move) take your time. Good Luck. :)

GringoInParadise

May 19, 2015
Hi, my boyfriend and I are planning to move to the dominican early 2016...sooooo many things to do for residency...finding work...deciding where abouts we want to put down roots....and probably a million things I have yet to think of!

Waooooooooooooo ! How exciting. Fresh start. New beginnings. Coming here to live on our little bit of Tropical Paradise. I can smell your enthusiasm from here. Waoooooooo it brings back memories. There are soooooo many fantastic things to say about here. The sun, sand, sea, easily one of the most beautiful climates. The "easy going" nature of the people. Best try and stay away from other Canadians and North Americans in general. They are permanently angry and in foul humor, mostly because they have to deal with the "easy going people" I just mentioned. The good thing is you can already scratch a few things off your "million things" you have to do. First off, scratch the "finding work" off the list. don't let that little item interfere with your enjoyment of paradise. Your're not going to find work, so relax and forget about it.

You mentioned in another post you are considering Punta Cana. You will love it there. That is where you will really enjoy life in Paradise. The nice thing is, you should be able to get a fairly decent place there for around $1000 US per month. For that amount you can be sure it won't be anything ostentatious, so you will really get the feel for island life blending in with the "easy going people". You'll be able to sit on your balcony all day listening to the cheerful chirp chirp of your neighbor's friendly Rooster, and the happy yapp yapp of their six charming Chihuahuas. Waooooooooo I'm so excited for you.

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
Before coming to the D.R. I had lived in eight different countries. None of which prepared me for the **** you can go thru here. If you want to live here you must expect the unexpected What would be rational in other countries is reversed here. Just a heads up for your info !

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Ok, first of all where are you currently living? You need to start the residency process there. Get your documents together, translated and approved and appostilized by the Domincan Consulate. Do you have any language skills?
What type of work are you looking for? It is not an easy transition from North America to the DR. Punta Cana is primary tourist related and you would have to be bi-lingual to work here. Give us more details and we can give you better direction. Good luck.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

before you get here, try to learn to call the country by its proper name. it is the Dominican Republic. you might find yourself offending some locals by making such an error as naming their country incorrectly.

Jul 28, 2014
before you get here, try to learn to call the country by its proper name. it is the Dominican Republic. you might find yourself offending some locals by making such an error as naming their country incorrectly.

Actually Gorgon, Es La Republica Dominicana ....

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
You can't get residency if you do not have a income of $2000 a mounth or marry a Dominican person. If you need a job the $2000 is out and if you are coming with a boyfriend getting married is out.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Waooooooooooooo ! How exciting. Fresh start. New beginnings. Coming here to live on our little bit of Tropical Paradise. I can smell your enthusiasm from here. Waoooooooo it brings back memories. There are soooooo many fantastic things to say about here. The sun, sand, sea, easily one of the most beautiful climates. The "easy going" nature of the people. Best try and stay away from other Canadians and North Americans in general. They are permanently angry and in foul humor, mostly because they have to deal with the "easy going people" I just mentioned. The good thing is you can already scratch a few things off your "million things" you have to do. First off, scratch the "finding work" off the list. don't let that little item interfere with your enjoyment of paradise. Your're not going to find work, so relax and forget about it.

You mentioned in another post you are considering Punta Cana. You will love it there. That is where you will really enjoy life in Paradise. The nice thing is, you should be able to get a fairly decent place there for around $1000 US per month. For that amount you can be sure it won't be anything ostentatious, so you will really get the feel for island life blending in with the "easy going people". You'll be able to sit on your balcony all day listening to the cheerful chirp chirp of your neighbor's friendly Rooster, and the happy yapp yapp of their six charming Chihuahuas. Waooooooooo I'm so excited for you.

I think I am finally starting to understand your sense of Humor...

LMAO..

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
I think I am finally starting to understand your sense of Humor...

LMAO..

Visit first get your toes stepped on. Go bankrupt and then re-think your choices. Love and fun in the tropics are not like portrayed in the movies.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it warms my heart to see there are posters who outbitter me in terms of the attitude towards DR.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Again and Again...

to the dominican early 2016....and probably a million things I have yet to think of!

You started 3 threads within 10 minutes.
Tranquila, you have still a lot of time to think.
How about thinking what the country is properly called?

donP

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
You can't get residency if you do not have a income of $2000 a mounth or marry a Dominican person. If you need a job the $2000 is out and if you are coming with a boyfriend getting married is out.

Seriously, i question these rules! Why, instead of encouraging foreigners, for the most part, are people who are coming to spend money, Dr is discouraging them? Do they think without TOURISM and foreigners coming to live, that DOMINICANS can keep the country afloat?
I just laugh at the notion that a third world country is simply discouraging foreigners insead of enticing them.
First of all, who would want to come to Dr, besides 60,70 years old, who do not have anything else serious to do, thinking DR, is the ULTIMATE PARADISE where women are for FREE?
Who are thinking for this country? lol

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

If you need to work to live here, then it is best you stay where you are. I never advise anyone who needs to work for a living on anything but the Internet to move here unless you can live on about $300 US a month.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Seriously, i question these rules! Why, instead of encouraging foreigners, for the most part, are people who are coming to spend money, Dr is discouraging them? Do they think without TOURISM and foreigners coming to live, that DOMINICANS can keep the country afloat?
I just laugh at the notion that a third world country is simply discouraging foreigners insead of enticing them.
First of all, who would want to come to Dr, besides 60,70 years old, who do not have anything else serious to do, thinking DR, is the ULTIMATE PARADISE where women are for FREE?

The concept as I see it, is not to attract deadbeats. (Realize there is an issue with people from the other side of this island as well.)

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
The concept as I see it, is not to attract deadbeats. (Realize there is an issue with people from the other side of this island as well.)

Deadbeats? You must be kidding here lol
DR is a country of DEADBEATS? No
Frankly, i wonder how old are these people who are crazy to come to these islands? i think 60 is a very young age!
Anyway, I do not see the APPEAL! My opinion !
By the way, that is why it is called HISPANOLA!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Clearly the DR wants lots of tourists who spend their $$$ quickly over short periods of time to come and go.

For residents, the country wants only those who can demonstrate an ability to support themselves over the long term or those who are prepared to start a business and are willing/able to spend a specified sum at the outset. Anyone that needs to work to support themselves and thus take jobs away from locals are actively discouraged. It has been discussed before and I believe the consensus is that those granted residency can work here, but to be granted residency status in the first place, one needs to establish that holding down full-time employment is not a necessity.

A "business visa" with its own set of requirements is the only available avenue for those without the resources to qualify for residency or citizenship under the program as it exists today.

The DR does not accept refugees as do many first world countries. Regular immigrants to Canada just like here have to prove solvency or qualify for a specific program. The process at home can take years before approval is granted.

The DR is not that different from anywhere else except that there is a belief that the process is horribly broken, corrupt and doesn't cater to the whims of the "entitled".

Welcome to DR1 Tanis - lots of info here for you to wade through and see if you can make it work.

Status
Not open for further replies.