Setting a shoe shop in Santo Domingo

afraile

Jan 5, 2002
I have decided to settle in Dominicana in the near future. While I was in Santo Domingo I noticed that prices of European leather shoes are considerably high. I am Spanish and live in Elche, the biggest producer of shoes in Spain, where there is a great number of good value for money shoes. Do you think it would be a good idea to set a shoe shop in a good location of Santo Domingo to sell shoes at an affordable price?.

Ray

Jan 7, 2002
I think it would be a great idea

I think setting up a shoe shop in Santo Domingo would be a great idea especially if they are at a great price. What kind of shoes will you be considering in bringing??? Fancy shoes like Ferragamo? Gucci? Prada? Bally? among others, or other brands?? Let me know how you plan on bringing these shoes to santo domingo, maybe i can be of some assistance to help you bring them from europe and into Santo Domingo.

frederic

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
A Shoe Shop is a good idea but competition is tough, from the inside and from overseas.

Internally you will have to compete with a lot of women who import shoes in suitcases (many suitcases and frequently of course) who pay very little import duties or none at all, i.e. smuggling. These mainly sell to a middle-higher end but smaller segment of the market.

Externally you will have to compete with a growing amount of imports coming from China and other low-wage countries, whose cost per pair of shoes is around One Dollar (yes, US$1.00)! and pay some 20-30 cents between duties and other taxes. These mainly sell to a middle-lower end but a much larger segment of the market.

But on the positive side, the domestic shoe industry has virtually disappeared and has been susbstituted by imports; so other importers will be your main and maybe only competition.

jerseybymail

Jan 11, 2005
re: Timberland Boots

Hi,

Im looking for a supplier of timberland boots. Specifically the 6" Premium and 8" premium and the 6" roll top boots.

I know they manufacture in Spain and Dominican Republic but i am finding it hard to source the supplier/manufacturer and i'm also concerend if these people would be interested in engaging in gray market trade.

I think it is Grupo M but there is no phone number on their websites

The shoes have to be authentics as i too can source out waysheng's and guangdongs of the counterfeit world. We pride on our abillity to source and distribute authentics only and im not willing to sacrifice that even if i got them for free!

Please pass this on to any viable source and authetic reputable dealers only!

thanks
Roger

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
yeah a DR1 ROOKIE was posting his first thread and did not check the date.
people need to check the thread start date. I mean people don't want to discuss issues from 3 years ago!