United to/from Newark in late Sept. and Oct.

ejl293

May 29, 2012
Has United Airlines stopped flying to POP during the end of September and early October? I am trying to arrange a trip and cannot find any flights from about the 28th of September through October 7th. Am I missing something?

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
United bought out Continental as you probably know. and they do cut back on flights, until November ..

I live in central NJ also,. and im just curious. why does it even bother you that they have limited flights
.. cuz jet blue out of JFK is just a way better option, imo..
especially if you do like the early AM flight.or better yet fly to STI and take a bus ride. its not so bad..
I have not taken united/continental more than 2 times in the last 10 years to STI or POP. their prices are just too high, and now the legroom is just way too short..
just curious why you are so focused on taking united.. not bashing...
curious also how many trips do you make a year ?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
United bought out Continental as you probably know. and they do cut back on flights, until November ..

I live in central NJ also,. and im just curious. why does it even bother you that they have limited flights
.. cuz jet blue out of JFK is just a way better option, imo..
especially if you do like the early AM flight.or better yet fly to STI and take a bus ride. its not so bad..
I have not taken united/continental more than 2 times in the last 10 years to STI or POP. their prices are just too high, and now the legroom is just way too short..
curious also how many trips do you make a year ?

I'll add my two cents. We live in southern NJ [Atlantic County], and we stopped flying out of JFK [after many decades of doing so] a few years ago for a couple of reasons.

#1. It's a lot easier to get a ride to Newark if you live in NJ or on the western side of the Hudson in NY.
#2. American stopped their direct flights
#3. Traffic and tolls to JFK from NJ can be aggravating [what is the Verrazzano now, $16?? Add the Outerbridge or Goethals for another $14???]

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I'll add my two cents. We live in southern NJ [Atlantic County], and we stopped flying out of JFK [after many decades of doing so] a few years ago for a couple of reasons.

#1. It's a lot easier to get a ride to Newark if you live in NJ or on the western side of the Hudson in NY.
#3. Traffic and tolls to JFK from NJ can be aggravating [what is the Verrazzano now, $16?? Add the Outerbridge or Goethals for another $14???]

I drive, and park. so for a one week stay its actually cheaper for me to park my own car in one of the park lots. which give me a nice free shuttle ride to my my terminal.. eezy breezy... and yes Newark also has parking, but my experience with them as also not as good as you have to park the car yourself, and walk with your lugagge, and the prices are no better if not worse. and the park lots dont seem that secure either with people wandering all over the place..

I have not taken American since like 2005. dont know.. Delta , tried them, dont like their flight times and long security lines on evening flights.

#3. Traffic and tolls to JFK from NJ can be aggravating [what is the Verrazzano now, $16?? Add the Outerbridge or Goethals for another $14??

Dont know, would have to look it up cuz we use EZ pass which is less , and the Corp pays for it . either way, even if I paid it myself, its a small insignificant factor, when you consider savings of as much as $400 on an a single airline ticket itself for an identical flight out of EWR vs JFK.. and now if you are a Couple, thats $800 and big $$
I take ONLY direct flight.. and maybe my experiencs are unique because I am a night owl who travels ALONE, and I take the earliest flights. and have ZERO traffic at 3 am.
The only problems I ever encountered was when the Outerbridge Crossing was closed til 5 am.. and i had to get back on the TPKE to take the Gothals.. guess what ,I still made my 5:45 am flight.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

I drive, and park. so for a one week stay its actually cheaper for me to park my own car in one of the park lots. which give me a nice free shuttle ride to my my terminal.. eezy breezy... and yes Newark also has parking, but my experience with them as also not as good as you have to park the car yourself, and walk with your lugagge, and the prices are no better if not worse. and the park lots dont seem that secure either with people wandering all over the place..

Okay, we go for 3-4 months at a time, parking at airport not an option.

I have not taken American since like 2005. dont know.. Delta , tried them, dont like their flight times and long security lines on evening flights.

#3. Traffic and tolls to JFK from NJ can be aggravating [what is the Verrazzano now, $16?? Add the Outerbridge or Goethals for another $14??

Dont know, would have to look it up cuz we use EZ pass which is less , and the Corp pays for it . either way, even if I paid it myself, its a small insignificant factor, when you consider savings of as much as $400 on an a single airline ticket itself for an identical flight out of EWR vs JFK.. and now if you are a Couple, thats $800 and big $$
I take ONLY direct flight.. and maybe my experiencs are unique because I am a night owl who travels ALONE, and I take the earliest flights. and have ZERO traffic at 3 am.
The only problems I ever encountered was when the Outerbridge Crossing was closed til 5 am.. and i had to get back on the TPKE to take the Gothals.. guess what ,I still made my 5:45 am flight.

How nice for you - most of us have to pay our own tolls/gas. :)

I agree about direct flights, I don't want connections even if they're free flights. Spirit out of AC is 10 minutes away for us, Philly 45 minutes - no direct flights :(

I've never priced EWR-POP, but EWR-SDQ is right on the money with all the other airlines.

ejl293

May 29, 2012
I have been making the Newark to POP trip 3 times a year for 10 years. I have always used Continental/United. Very easy trip for me. I live in eastern PA and JFK is a hassle. I just wanted verification that there are no flights in late September and early October. I pretty much live in the DR and head back to the USA for about 8 or 9 days.

I guess I am going to have to investigate the JetBlue flights out of Santiago. I am just surprised that there are no flights at that time. I am very well aware of the limited flights per week out of season.

Can anyone verify the no flights thing?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

Every person's travel experience is unique. What works for some will not work for others. I do mucho EWR-SDQ trips a year so for me United is a no brainer. United EWR-SDQ price is always in the ballpark with Jet Blue out of JFK. I am only a twenty minute ride to EWR, so EWR and United are it.......................Now if I had to fly into POP I might reconsider airport and airline.

ejl293

May 29, 2012
I tried calling United. Got the feeling the guy I talked to knew about as much as I did!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I tried calling United. Got the feeling the guy I talked to knew about as much as I did!

LOL, cuz I know the feeling.

I am only taking a guess but if no flights are listed, or as website says "check price" only to find out there is no flight that day means either there will be no flights September/October or at this point United has not committed to POP flights in those months.

As was previously mentioned maybe look into flying into Santiago. Taxi to bus depot (either Caribe or Metro) and take it from there.

Where I live in Jersey I would rather bus it from Santiago to Puerto Plata than try to get to JFK.

BillyGoatee

Jan 9, 2013
I also live in northern NJ (Mahwah area) and I'd prefer Newark over JFK any time. But what to do, there are just better options from JFK than EWR.

I think JetBlue has a daily flight EWR- STI, but I personally hate STI. The 2 hour bumpy ride up north kills me.

I read here some time ago that the Dominican dept. Of Tourism (or something like that) complained that there was a drop in flights (and tourists and their money) to POP and automatically it affects the whole north region. My thought is that most people fly into STI just because pop is way way more expensive sometimes almost double than STI or SDQ.

My solution is to lower the prices to pop. Everyone will benefit. More tourists coming north. Less hassle. Shorter flights etc etc.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I also live in northern NJ (Mahwah area) and I'd prefer Newark over JFK any time. But what to do, there are just better options from JFK than EWR.

I think JetBlue has a daily flight EWR- STI, but I personally hate STI. The 2 hour bumpy ride up north kills me.

I read here some time ago that the Dominican dept. Of Tourism (or something like that) complained that there was a drop in flights (and tourists and their money) to POP and automatically it affects the whole north region. My thought is that most people fly into STI just because pop is way way more expensive sometimes almost double than STI or SDQ.

My solution is to lower the prices to pop. Everyone will benefit. More tourists coming north. Less hassle. Shorter flights etc etc.

Where do you suggest they stay?

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
If they want to rejuvenate the north coast all they have to do is drop that $100 DR flight tax or charge less for jet fuel at POP. But that would mean less jeepetas. Does anyone really think that $10 tourist cash they collect pp really all winds up in the proper place?

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
I was looking at purchasing tickets from ewr to pop from Oct till Dec time frame and I haven't seen any flights listed. I live in southern ocean county and driving to JFK is just madness and not a valid option.
I have seen United don't his last winter when I booked my may / June trip. As the time got closer flight appeared. I hope flights open up again, because I don't want to have my travel day extended. But I am happy that I do have options.
I am wondering if United will sell that route to another carrier or swap . Let's see what happens.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I was looking at purchasing tickets from ewr to pop from Oct till Dec time frame and I haven't seen any flights listed. I live in southern ocean county and driving to JFK is just madness and not a valid option..........

Try this, do a one way search with flexible dates. Reason being if United is only say flying EWR to POP on Saturdays and you want a Thursday to Thursday trip nothing will show up. Do the one way search and it looks as if United has suspended service from end of August till the end of October.

I am in full agreement, living in Jersey and having to go to JFK is a nightmare. If I were going to POP I would opt out for a flight to Santiago any day of the week than try to fly out of JFK.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Try this, do a one way search with flexible dates. Reason being if United is only say flying EWR to POP on Saturdays and you want a Thursday to Thursday trip nothing will show up. Do the one way search and it looks as if United has suspended service from end of August till the end of October.

I am in full agreement, living in Jersey and having to go to JFK is a nightmare. If I were going to POP I would opt out for a flight to Santiago any day of the week than try to fly out of JFK.

You're right - I thought that US Air had stopped flying direct to DR out of Philly because I only saw connecting flights, but a travel agent friend checked for me and they have direct flights on Sat & Sun. Now that they've combined frequent flier miles with AA I was able to get a great [and free!] flight PHL-SDQ.

I can't imagine the circumstances that would make us fly out of JFK again. Even NYers hate it [I grew up in South Ozone Park, those planes overhead used to sound like they were landing in the back yard].

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I flew out of JFK one time looking for a cheap deal and never again. Drove from Southern NJ
on to the New Jersey Turnpike, Goethals Bridge (I prefer to just pay than to have to go all the
way through the Outer Bridge Crossing). Then take the Verrazano Bridge, park my car at my
sister's place and then call a cab to airport.

Too much aggravation for me. I now fly out of Philly (sometimes Newark) and just pay the extra airfare.

anthony

Mar 17, 2010
You're right - I thought that US Air had stopped flying direct to DR out of Philly because I only saw connecting flights, but a travel agent friend checked for me and they have direct flights on Sat & Sun. Now that they've combined frequent flier miles with AA I was able to get a great [and free!] flight PHL-SDQ.

I can't imagine the circumstances that would make us fly out of JFK again. Even NYers hate it [I grew up in South Ozone Park, those planes overhead used to sound like they were landing in the back yard].

Tell me about it - I live in Howard Beach and the planes are getting closer and closer to my house