New member from Missouri here.

jakkrk

Jun 2, 2015
Hello all. I joined the site to start getting an idea what it will take to end up in the DR at retirement. Im only 45 now, so I have time but I know that it will pass quickly.

So, just saying Hey for now. I will be reading a lot.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Hello all. I joined the site to start getting an idea what it will take to end up in the DR at retirement. Im only 45 now, so I have time but I know that it will pass quickly.

So, just saying Hey for now. I will be reading a lot.

Welcome.

What are you nuts???????????

Yea, that is what all are saying about Bruce!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't rush. Let it take it sweet time. ;)

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Jak, welcome. I toyed with that idea until I joined this forum. I like the whacky way Dominicans work things out for themselves. Just not sure I could be there without a way out. And since you can't leave things locked up easily...Florida here I come. The entire Latino diaspora is in Florida now.

Aug 6, 2006
As a former Missourian, welcome. I have been living in FL since 1977, but I still can appreciate a good pork tenderloin sandwich and fried mush with syrup.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Been here for almost 8 years. Welcome. Hope you enjoy it. Try to ignore the nay sayers. Life here is like it is in most places. If you put some effort into it you will probably enjoy yourself.

jakkrk

Jun 2, 2015
This is plan "B" if the DR doesn't pan out. We are really looking something beachfront/water-way and good views/weather.

jakkrk

Jun 2, 2015
Jak, welcome. I toyed with that idea until I joined this forum. I like the whacky way Dominicans work things out for themselves. Just not sure I could be there without a way out. And since you can't leave things locked up easily...Florida here I come. The entire Latino diaspora is in Florida now.
This is plan "B" if the DR doesn't pan out. We are really looking something beachfront/water-way and good views/weather.

jakkrk

Jun 2, 2015
At what age do you contemplate your move????????
Any why the DR, have you visited here yet??????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
The wife was wanting us to move when I am 55. So, 10-ish years from now. And No, we haven't been to the DR yet but have seen a lot of nice areas and things that we like to do on the TV. We would visit before we actually made the commitment. Why the DR? The weather, the views, the food and the drinks. All seem good to us.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Santo Domingo most likely has the best collection of restaurants in the Caribbean. Would say it is world class. There is always a new restaurant opening up, so if you choose to live in Santo Domingo you can entertain yourself visiting the new places and making up your own list of favourites. Santo Domingo is a great base for then short stays at the other interesting places all around the country. The DR has so many places to visit, you will never be bored. People who visit the resorts in Punta Cana, just see 1% of what the DR has to offer. Small hotels and even rentals is the way to go to see most of the country. You will need to buy a vehicle. One of the best bargains right now is the Renault Duster sold by Euromotors.

Aug 6, 2006
There are great restaurants in SD and perhaps in Santiago and other tourist sites, it is true.
Dominican food, however, the usual rice and guandules, can be pretty boring fare. It is REALLY HARD to ruin spaghetti and meatballs, but there is many a Dominican cook that can rise to the occasion.

jakkrk

Jun 2, 2015
Maybe I would just have to bring some mid-western flare to the area I would move to. The people in the DR grill and smoke their food also, don't they?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Maybe I would just have to bring some mid-western flare to the area I would move to. The people in the DR grill and smoke their food also, don't they?

Some people do grill, but I've never seen a Dominican with a smoker.