exchange

becca_jd

Jan 1, 2002
I am going to be in the D.R. on tuesday!!!! I was wondering if someone could tell me the best place to exchange my money. Would it be the airport, the states or at somewhere like MultiCentro in S.D?
Thanks for your help.

doug

Jan 1, 2002
Exchange

becca-jd; DO NOT change at the airport, you'll get a low rate there, if you have to change 50 bucks or something, thats ok....just so'll you'll have some pesos.....but wait until you get to a cambio....you'll get a much better rate. There will also be loads of guys offering to exchange your money for you on the street, do not use these guys either. Banks are also a poor choice, as they give a poor rate as well, ......so look for a exchange house......there are many around, or you can use the first Western Union you see.....Western Union, I have found... give a very competitive rate. Good Luck!

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
Re: Exchange

doug said:
becca-jd; DO NOT change at the airport, you'll get a low rate there, if you have to change 50 bucks or something, thats ok....just so'll you'll have some pesos.....but wait until you get to a cambio....you'll get a much better rate. There will also be loads of guys offering to exchange your money for you on the street, do not use these guys either. Banks are also a poor choice, as they give a poor rate as well, ......so look for a exchange house......there are many around, or you can use the first Western Union you see.....Western Union, I have found... give a very competitive rate. Good Luck!

The airport in Santo Domingo has been paying within 1% of the best of cambios. For example, if the best cambios are paying 17 pesos per US Dollar, expect 16.85 - 16.90 at the airport.

doug

Jan 1, 2002
Jim

Jim; That might be the way "right now" but it is not the norm....if anyone should know this it should be you!

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
Re: Jim

doug said:
Jim; That might be the way "right now" but it is not the norm....if anyone should know this it should be you!

This has been the norm for at least the last 6 months.

From www.BocaChicaBeach.net/money.html:

Where to Change - Upon arrival in the Dominican Republic, you will also have the opportunity to purchase Dominican Pesos at a change booth located right at the airport. The cambio just before passing through immigration at the Santo Domingo airport actually pays as good of a rate of exchange for US Dollars as the best of the cambios, so go ahead and exchange your money at the airport if you like. This is unusual compared to most international airport cambios.

I'll not speculate on what the future holds.

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
what amount are you talking about
the hotel bill and all your expences
for your holiday or tips and a few expenses ?? in most cases it is just tips.
US$50 at 16.50 = 825 pesos
US$ 50 at 17 .00= 850 pesos
the diference does not even cover the price of a beer in a bar.
exchange it where you are most comfortable , it really does not make a huge diference.