ATM problems

Luke418

Nov 21, 2014
Anyone else been having problems with ATMs in Sosua last few days?
Been trying to get some money since Friday several times at different banks and all transactions refused!
Thought at first my card was blocked but called bank in Europe and card is no problem, so seems problem
is this end!
Will anything ever work properly in this country Ahhhrgg!!!!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Used a BanReserva ATM to access a local account without problems today. Might be the Int'l link that is not working.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Used a BanReserva ATM to access a local account without problems today. Might be the Int'l link that is not working.

Exactly.

I had similar issues with a German bank card (Maestro) last year, and it was for a few days that no ATM wanted to cooperate.

Things that were suggested to me as a quick fix:

If you have, try a card which does not require real-time validation, for example a classic credit card. They should also be able to carry out a withdrawal within the branch with a credit card, with Maestro I believe they are not able to do that.

Use your card to WU funds to yourself. Expensive but that should bypass having to use the international ATM links.

Funny thing was that Popular assured me that my bank specifically had a "maintenance window" (since they saw the logo on the card and told that other expats had had same issues that day), so the fault was at my bank (this was confirmed to me by two clerks). Then I called the bank and they practically laughed at me "if we had a maintenance window now, we would have messaged you about it one week in advance..."

Fredo

Mar 17, 2013
yes, 2 family members with their cards registered for use in DR have been unable to withdraw for 3 days now

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
You don't say what error message the machine is giving you.

I am used to withdrawing 10,000 pesos at a time from Banco Popular machines. The last time I tried, it said I had already reached the maximum amount to withdraw for that day. I had not taken anything out that day or previously for a few days.

So, I tried to take 8,000 pesos and it worked just fine. So, I did another withdrawal for 4,000 pesos and that worked too. Just BP trying to make two fees I think...

Bavaro by the way, not North Coast.

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
Anyone else been having problems with ATMs in Sosua last few days?
Been trying to get some money since Friday several times at different banks and all transactions refused!
Thought at first my card was blocked but called bank in Europe and card is no problem, so seems problem
is this end!
Will anything ever work properly in this country Ahhhrgg!!!!

I have this Problem since some days in Cabarete, the ATM's oft Bancos BHD, Popular, Progreso refused
my German Maestro card, as well the German Visa Card. Explaining that this is because of the chip on
the cards. And that they are working in this. Tomorrow I'll try again. The only other possibility is
to charge with Visa inside the bank, presenting passport and a second identification (cedula p.e.).
Charging inside the bank some days ago here was only possible in Banco Progreso.

westcan

Sep 10, 2008
I had this problem in April, with a Canadian bank card. It woulld only work at the Scotiabank in Cabarete, and the Scotiabank machine in the Metro station in Sosua even though I do not have a Scotiabank card.
Sometimes this problem happens to me in Mexico as well.
I figure it must be something to do with the international communication.