banking dr

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Define "hassle."

If you're a resident, you'll need your cedula and residency card.

If not, you'll need a passport, a letter from your home bank, and possibly a letter from an account holder at that bank.

Virtually all the major banks have the same policies, so it's your choice.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Define "hassle."

If you're a resident, you'll need your cedula and residency card.

If not, you'll need a passport, a letter from your home bank, and possibly a letter from an account holder at that bank.

Virtually all the major banks have the same policies, so it's your choice.

With all due respect, I disagree: The policies might be the same (this you can compare on their websites), but practices not.

As stated many times in this forum, it depends on the branch, even on the person attending you. To avoid "hassle", best is to avoid touristy places, there the requirements might be more complex, and dress appropriately, as you would back home.

I have opened multiple accounts in two banks, BHD Leon (when it still was just Leon) and Banreservas, never provided anything more than my passport and the opening amount.

I think ScotiaBank is famous for requiring quite a lot.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Even Dominicans are sometimes asked for references. When we first opened our accounts at BHD, Mr. AE's brother had to come with us to "vouch" for us.

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
I also had to have a 'sponsor' to open my accounts at banco santa cruz a couple of years ago. I also required a statement fro my Canadian bank. However in Sosua I receive very good service for the country.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Despite being a resident with a cedula, Banco Santa Cruz in Cabarete, also required to see the original of my passport (a copy was not acceptable) plus they wanted a reference from my UK bank but were happy to accept copies of statements which is all I was sent when I requested a reference letter.

In addition, a reference from Banco Popular would be ideal they told me (I have already held accounts with them for the past 9 years).

I haven't been back to complete the process yet and actually open the new account but I did find the staff and manager at Santa Cruz very helpful and accessible.

Reason for leaving Banco Popular only being due to 9 fraudulent transactions on my account some time ago never being resolved and emails to the manager in Cabarete being totally ignored.