Haiti

Sassy

Jan 1, 2002
Hey all......we are heading to the Dominican in March and the people we are going with are freaked about what is happening in Haiti, and are reconsidering there trip to the Dominican..... I really have no clue as to what is going on there...must have missed in the news...

I have two questions......what is going on in Haiti (small government political chaos?) and Is it safe to go to the Dominican?

Thanks all for your help!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
HAITI ,where is that?

I have lived here for 6 years,and the only time I even remember that "they" are."Over There",is when I see something on "cable" from the US!Come on down,don,t worry about a thing.It,s those darn Puerto Ricans you have to watch out for! Criss Colon

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
DR is 100% safe !!!

There's no reason to fear for your vacations ! DR might be the safest country you will ever visit !!! Tell your friends that they will be safer here in DR than in any country of Europe !!!

rayjay

Jan 2, 2002
While there in mid-december, my Haitian maid was as pleasant as all the Haitians I have met there.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Come on down. None of the political problems in Haiti will effect tourist in the DR. SO enjoy your stay. That is unless you are Canadian. If that is the case stay home until you guys learn how to tip!
BTW Criss Puerto Ricans are just Dominicans with US passports!

CanadianEh

Jan 5, 2002
Tony C

Speaking as a Canadian that worked for quite some time in the service industry, tipping is not a given thing. I have no problem tipping if I recieve good service. If you get me a beer whenever you find the time and be cranky about it , chances are I'm not in a hurry to tip. Ever wonder why the Happy bartenders take home more money ?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dear Sassy: what happenend in Hait? was

a 24 hour burp in their political history. Apparently, one of the military/police from the north of Hait? tried to overthrow the government. But he was forced to flee, since he received no popular support.
The only thing that happened here, was that the guy whos name happens to be Guy, crossed into the DR, "nobody knows how" and there was alittle political flap about that.
90% of the Dominican population probably did not even know what was happening next door.
As for your vacation? You just tell your friends that they will not have any worries, since the main tourist complexes are hundreds of kilometers from Hait?.
Cordially,

HB

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
I have worked or have good friends who have worked as bartenders or Waiters in various places. Miami, Key West, NY, DR, Spain, Hawaii, Cancun, Puerto Vallarta. There has been one coplaint that is common to all these locals. Canadians are terrible tippers. This is a generalization of course but I say that in my experience 95% tip badly or not at all.
Lets not forget driving slow in the left hand lane. Why do they call it tourist season if we can't shoot them!

Matt G.

Jan 7, 2002
Dominican Republic and Haiti are very different. I would not go to Haiti for ANY reason. I can't wait to get back to the DR and visit friends.