Help The Boys Of Cabarete To A Brighter Future! - Help our campaign

InspireDR

Jun 10, 2015
Youth Center InspireDR Targets To Raise $22,000 USD through Crowdfunding Platform IndieGoGo

By Anja-Simone Pusch and Adam Gutman

Cabarete, Dominican Republic ? New NGO InspireDR (aka Inspire By Action, Inc.) announced today it will launch a funding campaign using the crowdfunding platform IndieGoGo effective June 10, 2015. The organization?s goal is to raise up to $22,000 USD to support program activities.

InspireDR is a youth organization with the purpose of educating, mentoring and inspiring boys in and around Cabarete to develop into productive and responsible citizens.

According to The World Bank, about 41% of the population of the Dominican Republic lives below the poverty line. Founders Adam Gutman (originally from Mount Dora, Florida) and Stefan van der Spek (originally from Hoogkarspel, Netherlands) saw a gap in the services available to boys in the community.

The question was how could they inspire boys to take positive action and create opportunities for themselves and their community? The solution was to organize an out-of-school learning program with the following goals: teach English, develop character and values, and develop healthy lifestyles.

The positive feedback from the community is a clear indication that InspireDR is on the right track; however, to ensure constant growth of the program, support from others is needed.

Contributions will be used directly to support the program?s English lessons, sports activities, fieldtrips, supplies and equipment, rent, utilities, and transportation through 2015.

For more information about the campaign, visit our site - igg.me/at/InspireDR

Contact

To learn more about InspireDR, please contact

Ed Mendez: Main road, Cabarete, Dominican Republic

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
So I will look at your website,,but since this is your introductory post why don't you tell us a little more. You mentioned the goals of your group and the need for the boys "to develop into responsible citizens." You mention teaching English. What other specific tools and programs will you have for the boys. Young or teenagers? What other organizations are you affiliated with. Who in DR supports you.

The people here are connected. Not me. Them. But if you are a legitimate organization with proper oversight I'll donate.

Aug 21, 2007
Best of luck to you. Are you a legal NGO? If so, are you registered in the US or DR? I would be interested in contributing, but want to first make sure proper accountability is in place.

Thanks for your willingness to contribute, giving these boys a better life.

Lindsey

InspireDR

Jun 10, 2015
Hello mofongoloco,

Thanks for your questions and for looking at our site. We appreciate the interest!
As per your questions:
Our English Program:
Currently:
The boys receive 45 minutes of English lessons 4 days a week. I (Ed Mendez) am a certified English instructor as well as Adam Gutman(the co-founder of the center) and we have been the ones teaching the kids the basics since the start of the program.
Short term plans:
On June 24th, we will be welcoming in our new ESL instructor. Anja is also a certified ESL teacher who is coming in from Germany and will be spear heading the English program for the next six months.
Longer term plan:
We will follow through with their English education by sponsoring the boys to English lessons outside our center once they have a base. We are looking at programs in local language institutes as well as recognized online programs that provide international certification (such as EF's EnglishTown courses).
We see the impact that speaking/reading/writing English fluently has on the salaries of Dominicans in the area and it is our goal to equip all our boys with this valuable skill.

The program is for boys 6 to 18 years of age. At the moment, we have a base of 11 boys ages 6 to 13. We are looking to increase the number of boys in the center to 20 by the end of our Summer session.

The following is a description of our day to day activities at the center:
Mondays to Fridays 8:00 am to 8:30 am ->Breakfast
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday 8:30 am to 9:15 am -> English Lesson and Practice sessions.
Monday and Friday 9:15 am to 10:45 am - > Beach sports and team activities (Soccer, track and field and swimming)
Tuesday and Thursday 9:15 am to 9:45 am -> Yoga lessons & 10:00 am to 11:00 am -> Jujitsu lessons
Wednesdays 9:00 am to 10:45 am -> Swimming lessons

The boys arrive at the center every morning at 7:45 am and are there until 11:00 am. We provide transportation to the locations where many of the activities take place (Jujitsu & swimming).

As per our partners, we have received much help from many of the local businesses and individuals.
Here are some examples of the support that we receive from the community:
LazyDog Restaurant - Provides breakfast for our boys and our team
Jujitsu de la Costa - Provides the lessons for our boys
CASIRA (NGO from Quebec) - Helped in the preparation of our center by referral of "3 Mariposas Montessori" - a local NGO providing early education to children of La Cienaga in Cabarete.
Our volunteer instructors: Molly (Yoga) & Anja (Swimming)

I hope this answers some of your questions. Please feel free to contact me us or drop by the center anytime!

Ed Mendez - InspireDR

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Omg. Too many passwords to remember. I hate PayPal. Anyway, good luck on your endeavor. I didn't choose a perk, but if there is a video link I would like to see it. Pm it to me if you can. But u need at least ten post for the pm. I am going on faith that you have internal controls and oversight to ensure no exploitation of vulnerable youth occurs.

Good luck in your endeavor.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The like was a mistake. Please make sure you start your own charitable organization for Dominicans only. Or, possibly, MYOFB.

It is just my opinion that a charity in the DR should serve Dominicans. Of course, that is just my opinion and you are welcome to your opinion. My family is Dominican and I help them.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Best of luck to you. Are you a legal NGO? If so, are you registered in the US or DR? I would be interested in contributing, but want to first make sure proper accountability is in place.

Lindsey

So you mention affiliation with other NGOs but never answered Lindsey's question.

InspireDR

Jun 10, 2015

Lindsey

Hello Lindsey,

Thank you for your interest in InspireDR aka Inspire By Action, Inc.

We filed for non-profit status in the Dominican Republic with our attorney, Jenny Familia of Cabarete; however, this process is taking a bit longer to complete than originally expected. As director, I am in the process of becoming a resident of the Dominican Republic and this is part of the reason for the delay.

Additionally, we are incorporated in Florida, USA, as a non-profit organization; however, we have not completed 501c3 status with the Internal Revenue Service. Before we file for such status, we?d like to see if we can secure sufficient funding from a handful of individuals that relate to our mission and vision. We?re not opposed to checks and balances; however, we prefer others don?t provide too much influence over how we operate the organization.

We understand and respect your concerns regarding the use of funds. We would love to have you visit the youth center in Cabarete, and meet the boys, their families, partners, volunteers, and the staff of InspireDR. If you are able to help with a contribution this would be great; however, if you don?t feel comfortable right now, we understand. If possible, please share InspireDR with others.?

Best Regards,

Adam Gutman
Founder
InspireDR - Dominican Republic

InspireDR

Jun 10, 2015
So you mention affiliation with other NGOs but never answered Lindsey's question.

Hello Bronze,

Here is the answer to Lindsey's question:

"Thank you for your interest in InspireDR aka Inspire By Action, Inc.

We filed for non-profit status in the Dominican Republic with our attorney, Jenny Familia of Cabarete; however, this process is taking a bit longer to complete than originally expected. As director, I am in the process of becoming a resident of the Dominican Republic and this is part of the reason for the delay.

Additionally, we are incorporated in Florida, USA, as a non-profit organization; however, we have not completed 501c3 status with the Internal Revenue Service. Before we file for such status, we’d like to see if we can secure sufficient funding from a handful of individuals that relate to our mission and vision. We’re not opposed to checks and balances; however, we prefer others don’t provide too much influence over how we operate the organization.

We understand and respect your concerns regarding the use of funds. We would love to have you visit the youth center in Cabarete, and meet the boys, their families, partners, volunteers, and the staff of InspireDR. If you are able to help with a contribution this would be great; however, if you don’t feel comfortable right now, we understand. If possible, please share InspireDR with others.”

Best Regards,

Adam Gutman
Founder
InspireDR - Dominican Republic"

Please let us know if you have any other questions and thanks for your interest in our organization.

Ed

InspireDR

Jun 10, 2015
Thank you so much for your help!

Omg. Too many passwords to remember. I hate PayPal. Anyway, good luck on your endeavor. I didn't choose a perk, but if there is a video link I would like to see it. Pm it to me if you can. But u need at least ten post for the pm. I am going on faith that you have internal controls and oversight to ensure no exploitation of vulnerable youth occurs.

Good luck in your endeavor.

We are very appreciative of your support!

Thanks for helping us give the young boys in our program a good start to a brighter future!

I will be emailing you the video of the team and the boys :)

Have a great weekend!

Ed Mendez
InspireDR,org

fuchs4d

Mar 7, 2004
Gender preference and values?

teach English, develop character and values

Please answer me these questions:

- why only boys?
what about the girls given that the majority of kids are girls here and especially how you justify this?

- values?
please specify the values you plan to teach.

Alexander

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Why Boy Scouts? Why Girl Scouts? It's called targeting and focusing. Someone else right now is on the internet fundraising for a charity to help Dominican girls. You can't do everything.

I am a little cynical about charities in general. Especially religious based ones and those that exist to give a privileged kid a few bullet points on a college application. I am sensitive to the inherent paternalism in many charities.

A guiding principle for me is a quotation from ghandi. "Anything you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it."

InspireDR

Jun 10, 2015
Please answer me these questions:

- why only boys?
what about the girls given that the majority of kids are girls here and especially how you justify this?

- values?
please specify the values you plan to teach.

Alexander

Hello Alexander,

Thanks for your interest and for the questions.

We have a center for boys because in the Cabarete area there is already a center that services girls only. Mariposa DR Foundation does amazing things for the girls of the area.
With that said and thinking of the roles that males play in families and the community, we felt that there was a lack of programs available for the boys. We have been focusing on providing a program that helps build responsible men for the future.

As per the values that we teach at the center, they are very simple yet we feel essential.
We focus on simple things such as punctuality, respect (to teachers, parents, peers and the environment), cleanliness, honesty and hard work. We strive to provide a fun environment while also teaching our boys that there are consequences to our actions and that hard work pays off.
We encourage an environment of team work and creativity.

I hope that answers your question and thanks again for your interest in our program!

Ed Mendez
InspireDR.org

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013

I applaud the work that you want to do. However, you imply that you do not have residency here - therefore cannot legally work and really should only be here on vacation. And your NGO is not set up as yet. I just think that under these two circumstances, it is wrong for you to come onto this forum and ask people to donate money. There are a lot of legally constituted NGO's who operate in Dominican Republic and, at least until yours is legally set up, you really should at least be working in partnership with one of them.

I just wonder whether if I went to the US on a tourist visa and tried to raise money for a charity which wasn't registered in the US, what reaction this would get and how lawful that would be.

Please do not misunderstand me, I totally see the need for your work and I'm pleased you have chosen to come here. But I think you should have become properly established before going live with your fundraising.

InspireDR

Jun 10, 2015
I applaud the work that you want to do. However, you imply that you do not have residency here - therefore cannot legally work and really should only be here on vacation. And your NGO is not set up as yet. I just think that under these two circumstances, it is wrong for you to come onto this forum and ask people to donate money. There are a lot of legally constituted NGO's who operate in Dominican Republic and, at least until yours is legally set up, you really should at least be working in partnership with one of them.

I just wonder whether if I went to the US on a tourist visa and tried to raise money for a charity which wasn't registered in the US, what reaction this would get and how lawful that would be.

Please do not misunderstand me, I totally see the need for your work and I'm pleased you have chosen to come here. But I think you should have become properly established before going live with your fundraising.

Good morning TropicaPaul, we understand and appreciate your view on the status of the organization. One of the founders is a resident and the other founder is in process. We began the process for obtaining non-profit status in October 2014. We were advised by counsel we could launch the program while waiting for paperwork for the second founder. We did and the results have been significant. The boys and their parents are bubbling with smiles that the boys receive a healthy breakfast, are learning English, and are exposed to new and exciting experiences such as learning to swim, how to work as a team and much more. The boys are forming special bonds with one another.

We're living in this community and we've chosen to contribute rather than simply take from it. We've been primarily self-funded with the exception of food donations for the boys, and contributions from friends and family. The founders do not receive compensation, but rather volunteer their time.

Do you have any suggestions on how we might continue to effectively operate and provide these services to the community without seeking contributions from others? Thank you.

Ed Mendez
InspireDR.org

fuchs4d

Mar 7, 2004
Ed,

thanks for explaining.

Great idea and I wish good luck with the project.

Will be in the area this July and hopefully will visit your place and to give a small donation.

Alexander