How to renew Dominican residency that expired in 2002

DBW

Apr 24, 2009
I grew up in the Dominican Republic and therefore was a resident for most of my life. I have not lived in the DR since 2000 and my residency expired in 2002. I would like to return to the DR with my family but I was wondering what I would need to do in order to renew my residency and what I would need to get for my wife and kids whom have never lived in the DR.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I too would like to know what you need to do. Renewing residency that is expired for 13 years is something I have not heard of before.

For your family, I suspect the standard residency process and requirements will come into play. Contact the DR embassy/Consulate closest to where you are currently living and ask them what needs to be done. Please come back tell us how you make out.

Good luck.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Contact the Dominican Embassy in your area. It suspect you will need to start the process from the beginning under the current laws.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Start over will be cheaper 500rd*12*13=78000rd. 500 for each month expired.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Do you have a cedula....?
meaning were you a registered resident or just 'resided' here.

The original post is'nt clear on that point - for me

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
Do you have a cedula....?
meaning were you a registered resident or just 'resided' here.

The original post is'nt clear on that point - for me

I'm a different person almost same problem. My residency expired in 2014 what do i do to get this fixed?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I think for short term lapses (like yours) a fine is applied and you get renewed.

New rules call for urine & blood tests..... for all renewals

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I'm a different person almost same problem. My residency expired in 2014 what do i do to get this fixed?
Other than pay the 500/month from your expiry date and start your renewal process, should be ok since you haven't been expired that long.

Sent from my GT-I9195L using Tapatalk

DBW

Apr 24, 2009
I had a cedula, but I can't find it... All I have is my expired residency card and Dominican drivers liscence.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Both of which have your cedula number on them.

500/month for starters, if they allow a renewal - might ask for a re-application.
Hard to say...

LicelotteM

Sep 8, 2014
I grew up in the Dominican Republic and therefore was a resident for most of my life. I have not lived in the DR since 2000 and my residency expired in 2002. I would like to return to the DR with my family but I was wondering what I would need to do in order to renew my residency and what I would need to get for my wife and kids whom have never lived in the DR.

You should allowed to renew just by paying the penalty for the renewal. If you had a temporary residency card the penalty will be RD$500.00 per month and RD$600 per month if you had a permanent residency permit, which you probably had if you lived in the country for a long time.

If you decide to apply for a new permit there is the chance the Immigration Department could pull up your old file, plus you must consider that would not qualify for a residency visa at this point.

There is the possibility that, because your file is so old, the Immigration Department may take a while locating the file, thus you will probably have to make more than the usual 1-2 trips.

Once you have renewed your residency card and c?dula, your wife and kids will qualify for a residency visa. They will have to go back to their country of origin to apply for the visa and gather all documents for a regular process.

Regards,

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
would he also have to pay the fee for late renewal of the cedula? which is 700 pesos per month now, i believe? or cedulas are still changed for a biometric one free of charge, regardless of how long ago they expired?

LicelotteM

Sep 8, 2014
New cedulas are still been issued free of charge. The applicant will only be charged for the late renewal of the residency card.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Never show that expired residency card at the airport.
They'll confiscate it.

In order to get another, you will need to have a police report - reporting it stolen.

My wife was in renewal - 1st visit over - medical testing done, but hadn't been issued the new card yet.

She left during that 10 day waiting period.

Card gone, police report.... a genuine pain.

The irony is , that card goes back to Migracion and was in her file for the exchange for the renewed card.

How crazy is that ? But true...........