Typical allowed length of visit for Haitian to USA on nonimmigrant visa

ricpaq

May 21, 2015
To those who have visited the USA from Haiti on a nonimmigrant visa, what is the typical awarded length of visit?

The visa application on line states that 90 days is the limit but the actual award may be less.

Birdman

Jan 29, 2013
I know a Haitian family who got holiday visas to the US. They told me that this meant they could move there forever. They sold everything and got in touch with a Haitian network in Florida to get a cheap rental house. The wife skyped the other day saying that she has a job in a chinese restaurant.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
I know a Haitian family who got holiday visas to the US. They told me that this meant they could move there forever. They sold everything and got in touch with a Haitian network in Florida to get a cheap rental house. The wife skyped the other day saying that she has a job in a chinese restaurant.

...and THAT is exactly what makes it so difficult for Haitians, Dominicans and others of our Caribbean neighbors to get visas to visit. All that to work as near slave labor, living in fear and trying to stay under the radar while predators live better off their labors than they do. It's a devil's bargain.

ricpaq

May 21, 2015
...and THAT is exactly what makes it so difficult for Haitians, Dominicans and others of our Caribbean neighbors to get visas to visit. All that to work as near slave labor, living in fear and trying to stay under the radar while predators live better off their labors than they do. It's a devil's bargain.

This women won't be a slave. She's too smart for that.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
This women won't be a slave. She's too smart for that.

I was referring to those who intentionally "jump" their visa expiration dates. Without a proper work permit they find themselves living a black market kind of existence with predatory housing, work environment, etc. constantly in fear of detection and open to extortion by various nefarious individuals.

"Smart" folks go the legal path and return when their visa requires it. Having obtained one visa and followed the rules, subsequent visas for trips will be easier to arrange after that.

Aug 6, 2006
It is rare to see anyone working in a Chinese restaurant that is not Chinese.
I have read that a large number of workers in Chinese restaurants are working off $10,000 debts to the Tongs who smuggled them in.

I have never seen a Haitian or any Black person working in a Chinese restaurant in Miami in 40 years.
I am not saying they do not exist, just that they are extremely rare.

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
It is rare to see anyone working in a Chinese restaurant that is not Chinese.
I have read that a large number of workers in Chinese restaurants are working off $10,000 debts to the Tongs who smuggled them in.

I have never seen a Haitian or any Black person working in a Chinese restaurant in Miami in 40 years.
I am not saying they do not exist, just that they are extremely rare.

I am with you on that one, that story is strange...lol