Am I in limbo?

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
Well, with all the changes and speculations regarding immigration I am getting confused, once again.

I have started the initial provisional residency process i.e. all the papers have been deposited. I am told it will be at least 3 months or more before I get my residency card and my cedula.

Meanwhile I have had to go back to my home country for 6 weeks.

Now that I want to return to my home and family in the DR, I am wondering:

- I can not enter as a resident because I am not one yet, and the RS visa was originally valid for 2 months only, single entry and I have done that.

- I cannot enter as a visitor because I am not visiting, I am going home and I definitely intend to stay more than 30 or 60 days.

So what do I say to the immigration officer when he asks how long i intend to stay in the DR? Isn't there a box on the form where I am supposed to write it too?

Am I in limbo? Can they allow me in if I say the truth that the papers have been deposited and it is in the process? or do I have to lie and say I am a visitor for 30days? (with my 2 heavy suitcases). I just want to make sure I don't get refused at the entry point!!!! I understand I may have to buy a return ticket - which I will promptly cancel when I get to the DR. BTW, can I cancel it at the airport at the airline desk?

Thanks

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
in the past you could just enter with the paper that shows you deposited everything. But if that doesn't work they'll send you back to get a tourist card and that's it.

They won't see your two heavy suitcases btw, because luggage retrieval is after Migration (not that they care).

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
You or your lawyer should have a stamped and signed receipt for the deposit of your documents with Migracion. If you have any problems, showing this receipt to immigration at the airport will make all the doors magically swing open.

If your lawyer has this document, have them send you a copy or preferably the original and they can keep a copy in your file. Do not lose this document. You cannot get it replaced. It has your picture on it and everything.

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
I have a photocopy of a checklist from Migration showing all the papers they have accepted from me with the date and their sceal... no photo. Also the paper that says they took my fingerprints with the date. I guess my immigration agent has the originals. I don't have the file # either, but I have the phone # of my agent.
I feel better about being in limbo, or "in process"!
Thanks

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
No body would fault you and certainly no immigration official would question you if you reentered on a tourist card. You just wouldn't be able to leave again until you get your residency card or you'd have to pay the exit fine. Sometimes not presenting yourself as a problem that has to be dealt with has its advantages. If you don't have your residency card, then it might be prudent not to suggest that you are a resident so you don't have to explain why you don't have the card.

If you are fluent in Spanish you could probably explain the situation and be on your way with a minimal delay. Otherwise...it might take some time and effort. Meanwhile, someone is stealing your suitcase...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Get the tourist card and walk in.....

IMO - you're a tourist until they issue the Residency card...
Who says you'll be accepted..... that's a possibility

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Pay the ten dollars for tourist card and say nothing. Never be a squeaky wheel in the DR, as it invites officials that want to be greased.

Feb 7, 2007
When I was in the same case few years back (when I did my residency, my visa was issued in SD and the next day paperwork deposited at Migracion), this was just before Xmas, I did my medical and initial paperwork in Migracion, went to Europe for Xmas (I love white Xmas!), my lawyer picked up Medical in the meantime and deposited it at Migracion, I came back in January, got a 10 dollar tourist card, my residency was ready the following April.

Don't stress over it, and I agree, why make yourself a problem to the airport immigration officer, just buy the frikin tourist card, it's only 10 dollars. Hopefully it's the last tourist card you buy.

So no, you are not in limbo.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I have a photocopy of a checklist from Migration showing all the papers they have accepted from me with the date and their sceal... no photo. Also the paper that says they took my fingerprints with the date. I guess my immigration agent has the originals. I don't have the file # either, but I have the phone # of my agent.
I feel better about being in limbo, or "in process"!
Thanks

It is a few years back for me but after I had applied for temporary residency there was a wait of perhaps six months and I was in and out of DR every 3 or 4 weeks and used to show a receipt that my lawyer gave me at immigration control and that worked perfectly and I came in and out without any hassle, no tourist card needed. Your documents are in process for your first residency and presumably you have had a successful medical and your police record has been accepted.

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
When I left the DR I did not pay the exit fee as I showed everything was paid up (Ban Reservas receipts) and I was "in process" not just a tourist who had overstayed. They had no clue what to do with that, took photocopies of everything and shook their head. Just in case something is in their mysterious computer in POP, perhaps i should continue with the "in process" status. I hate to lie and write on the little paper that I am coming in for 30 days only when it is not the case. So I am inclined to go with jud10prd.

One more question... you or your lawyer need to go to Migracion once in a while to check whether the residency is ready, correct? What does the file # that they use look like? How many digits, numbers? I want to point to the right # on my papers if I can.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
When I left the DR I did not pay the exit fee as I showed everything was paid up (Ban Reservas receipts) and I was "in process" not just a tourist who had overstayed. They had no clue what to do with that, took photocopies of everything and shook their head. Just in case something is in their mysterious computer in POP, perhaps i should continue with the "in process" status. I hate to lie and write on the little paper that I am coming in for 30 days only when it is not the case. So I am inclined to go with jud10prd.

One more question... you or your lawyer need to go to Migracion once in a while to check whether the residency is ready, correct? What does the file # that they use look like? How many digits, numbers? I want to point to the right # on my papers if I can.
I think you worry too much. They know the paper you will be showing and they won't even look at the number, probably at the date issues and if it's on your name. When you left they probably shook their head because you brought copies of everything and you only needed a copy of the overstay payment and the proof of the deposit.

If you choose for the tourist card, just write N/A on how many days you are staying and tell them you are in process of the residence. You are not doing anything wrong, they won't send you back or refuse entrance.

Manzana

Jan 23, 2007
Nothing is more confusing to Dominican government workers than extranjeros who insist on acting as though Dominican law should be taken to have a literal meaning.