Tipping

doug

Jan 1, 2002
In another thread people were talking about "tipping" the thread was the "Haiti" thread, and it was being said that Canadiens were or are bad tippers, I totally disagree, I've seen and heard that Europeans are the worst! Maybe the Canadiens that you've encountered are just smarter than the average tourist, and will not pay for the type of service that is given (in general)in the DR, I find it to be the slowest and you have to tell the barkeep again and again.

Helen

Jan 1, 2002
Some Cdns tip well!

Let's not start generalizing about a certain nationality not doing something especially well or badly. Like everything else, there is the good with the bad. Remember what's said about about a few bad apples spoiling the rest??? I'm Cdn and I always make a conscious effort to tip well regardless of the service. It's just good etiquette to do so. I'm sure one will be remembered as a generous and good tipper to ensure better service the next time around. Also, the dominicans working in the service industry make so little. Giving them that little extra to bring home is sure to brighten their day!

richard

Jan 1, 2002
I most certainly agree. When I was in business in Sosua there were good and bad tippers of all nationalities. Some Europeans and others for that matter, seem to forget that it is good form to leave an extra tip for the server over and above the 10% service charge which is a legal requirement.As for bad service, most wait staff at the bars and restaurants I deal with in Sosua provide excellent service, knowing that tips are the biggest part of their income. Now, I don't patronize all-inclusive resorts so maybe the calibre of service is different in those places.

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I used to manage a bar on the edge of an Indian reservation, halfway between Albuquerque and Santa Fe NM. The joke thee was, "What is the difference between a canoe and an Indian? Eventually the canoe will tip."

No its not PC but I claim my pawnee and Shawnee heritage allow me the joke...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
My take on tipping

I have seen just about all sides to this argument.

I have seen 12 Quebecquois arguing over a several hundred peso bill, and tipping 40 cents! And in Florida, they are famous for this!!

I have seen very generous tips as well.

Tipping is a perogative of the guest. If the guest considers the service to be fairly good, of course a gratuity is in order.

That said, we then have to consider just who make up the larger percentage of the tourists that come to the DR. I do believe that the reality is that they are, again generally speaking, from the blue collar or low-end service people, or bureaucrats. They come on packages, and do not tend to bring large amounts of cash with them.

Thus, they tend to think that the servers in the restaurants are already paid a tip....Especially since it was advertized as "All Inclusive! " And they hardly ever venture out!!

One other thing. It has been my experience that the general level of service on the South Shore is far below the friendliness and attentiveness on the North Shore. I cannot say that it is universal, but I have experienced it.

Finally, I think that some people tip just to show off, and maybe impress someone. Tourists don't have to show off for anyone. If they are with a hooker, she would probably like to have the money rather than give it to a server. If the guy is with his lover or significant other, there should be no need to impress. Ergo, no tips of importance.

HB

doug

Jan 1, 2002
I give a tip of 10% regardless of the service, and if the service is ok they get 15% if the service is really good and only bothered us at the right times they get 20% or better.

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Isn't it still customary for restaurants there to add a service charge. Seems to me they used to. I dislike them as I want to control what I leave based on service I recieve. If there is a service charge I will usually only add to it if there is exceptional service.

richard

Jan 1, 2002
yes. it it is the law that 10% isadded for service however that is split amongst the total staff, cleaners, cooks, custodians etc. it offers no reward to your server who may have given exellent service during the time you were at his or her table.the server gets a portion depending on what percentage of thetotal hours he or she worked during the pay period.

Helen

Jan 1, 2002
On Hillbilly's take on tipping...

Hillbilly said:Finally, I think that some people tip just to show off, and maybe impress someone. Tourists don't have to show off for anyone.
My response: I agree with this. There is certainly no call for anyone, tourist or otherwise to show off. What's the point in that? If they can put themselves in others' shoes, they'll know that showing off is just another way of making others feel like crap 'cos they don't have what you do!
Hillbilly said: If they are with a hooker, she would probably like to have the money rather than give it to a server.
My response: I say...let the server get the money. The "hooker" will be paid her due according to her "service".
Hillbilly said: If the guy is with his lover or significant other, there should be no need to impress. Ergo, no tips of importance".
My response: If the guy/gal is dominican and with his/her lover or significant other and he/she has never had enough money to buy food much less tip, he/she will of course, not leave a tip! Then it is up to the partner, to educate them on the better points of tipping.
I have always subscribe to the "When in Rome..." scenario when travelling. However, this traveller has learnt that in certain countries (regardless of whether the resort is all inclusive or not) to tip unless specifically told not to! I live in a country where we pay a tax for service imposed upon us by the gov't so paying a little extra for services rendered by others for legitimate reasons is no big deal!

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I have been a waitress in America most of my life and I have always fealt that tipping is very important. I only made a little over $3uda an hour ..i lived on my tips. I get in arguements with my friends here all the time about tipping. I put a tip out and they take it back...it is a never ending fight...but tipping is important...I still think it would be best to give the tip before the service then you know what typw of service to give the customer!!! jejeje

x_man

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Helen, well spoken! I tip between 10% and 20%,
unless in Germany where the tip is always included in the bill.The waiter gets it all and does not expect more.I could imagine that for that reason Germans would
be even worse tippers than Canadians.

richard

Jan 1, 2002
It's obviously a generalization but the best tippers are as a rule others in the service industry who rely on tips to make a living.
The propina left on the table is usually the largest part of a server's income in the DR

Deb

Jan 1, 2002
We visit Punta Cana every year and stay at all inclusive. We don't carry money with us most of the time, but the last day we slip our favarite waiters or waitress a bill or two. We do leave a tip for the cleaning lady and the mini bar worker daily.We are from Canada and hope that we don't look too stingy.

jjsk

"Going for Gold"
Jan 1, 2002
I have asked this question on debbiesdominicantravel, but since the topic of tipping has been brought up here...

Do you (and if yes, how much) tip the animation team at the resort?
IMO, the animation team made our vacation what it was more than any other people at the hotel, and were the most deserving of something.

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
I have trouble tipping when you have to constantly hound people for service, walk to the bar/kitchen to order, and then get a whopping 22% added to your bill for good measure.

Tip for the service you receive. However, when the place adds 10% to the bill, you aren't going to catch me taking another 15% onto that. 15%+22%....37% ? In a thirld world/developing nation?

I don't think so.

marc

jjsk

"Going for Gold"
Jan 1, 2002
actually, i found the service pretty good in the Dr, o.k., I've only been there once ;) , but still service was better than Cuba, and certainly better than some places here in Canada.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Don't know about here but in USA the minimum wage for tipped employees is much less than regular employees. Which in a way is not fair..the employer gets cheep slave labor and expects the customer to pay the wages! It was usually good excect on slow days...But here in DR i do notice you do have to call the waiter over alot of the times. I could never waitress here! I'd kill people for whisteling and snapping their fingers at me!

richard

Jan 1, 2002
Deb. I think you have the right idea. Marc you should remember the 12% has nothing to do with your server, that's a government tax You might also remember that third world or not people still have to feed their families. If you find the service so lousy perhaps you should try going to different restaurants or bars. If you are complaining about service at an all-inclusive where prices are so cheap keep in mind you get what you pay for, so why don't you stay at an independent hotel for a change?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Come on Marc! It's only money!! Helen, Jan & Deb

You are quite correct in your thoughts about tipping. I think I was trying to get into the psyche of the "Average Tourist" and see what the "Why" of this was.

i can see where marc would figure out that an extra 33% might make a dent in his wallet, but after all, what is the sense to vacation if you don't get a kick out of seeing people smile.

What has been posted is quite right. The 10% collected onthe check is for the whole kitchen crew. Your server only gets what you leave on the table. I don't even put his tip on a CC, but prefer to leave cash.

And no Deb, you are doing the polite and correct thing in your tipping at the A/I at Punta Cana...Maids and your servers are a must at the end of your stay... Well done.

HB

doug

Jan 1, 2002
Animation Team

There was a question here....do you tip the A/t ....of course you can, you can tip any one you like and who you feel made your vacation better. But as for the maids...they are the ones who deserve it the most......they are in your room every day, they must be trusted, and they don't make as much as the bartenders....because ppl are constantly giving them tips.