Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: PAWA Dominicana announces Flights to US and Caribbean

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

The PAWA plane didn't look unusually low to me. The Embraer looks a little low but that's a light plane and the pilots were probably just having a little fun. ( I used to fly a B-727 in and out of SXM ) We used to say " the most worthless things to a pilot are the altitude above him and the runway behind him ".

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Better height from Insel Air who compete on the same SDQ to SXM route.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=jstarebel;1669198]
    Quote Originally Posted by ju10prd View Post
    Great video but that aircraft came in far too low over Maho beach. Have flown into SXM numerous times and such a low approach is not needed on a runway built for 747's.

Pilot trying to impress?????[/QUOTE

I don't think that was the case. I watched the video, and it looked just like every other jet landing there. The tourists line up on Maho for just this reason. Take a look at the KLM daily flight on youtube. It's the biggest beach draw cause it's a jumbo. FYI, There is a sign on the fence warning people of the sand during take offs, but they stand there anyways. You just never know what a tourist will like..
    Much higher by a far larger aircraft needing much more runway.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=ju10prd;1669213]
    Quote Originally Posted by jstarebel View Post

Much higher by a far larger aircraft needing much more runway.

there is another video of the same aircraft (KLM) where the plane almost hit the top of the fence. the point is that the runway is not that huge and there is a mountain in the front . so the pilots have to try to land at the very beginning edge of the runway in order to use the whole runway in case of emergency. example, if brakes fails or hydraulic failure where engines can't reverse then the plane would need all the runway it can get to slow down and come to a stop. if the plane needs to take off again for some reason, it has to have sufficient runway to speed up and take off. this is why the planes need to land as close to the beginning of this runway as possible. this is why some planes seem to come so close to the fence of the airport and just above people's heads.
    AZB

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Also, there is no instrument landing system ( ILS ) with the standard 3 degree glide slope for that runway so pilots use the computer generated descent information from the airplanes own autopilot system. That can be adjusted as the pilot sees fit.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

This cool video of PAWA MD80 taking off at SXM:

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, the noise that people are making on that plane. Screaming and cheering just because the plane has taken off. I'm so pleased that the national airline is managing to follow local traditions.

8. Likes Bred liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TropicalPaul View Post
    Wow, the noise that people are making on that plane. Screaming and cheering just because the plane has taken off. I'm so pleased that the national airline is managing to follow local traditions.
    Sounds like Pawa was carrying a cargo of Orangutans that day. LOL. BTW-that would be annoying being a passenger on that flight.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I have just returned from a business trip down to St Kitts & Nevis and Antigua & Barbuda. I had to extend for a day in Antigua and as a result had two options back to Santo Domingo from ANU. PAWA via St Martin or a very early direct flight by Inter Caribbean. I opted for a lie in and PAWA.

So here is my report - a sceptic - on my first two PAWA flights....same flight number and no change of aircraft.....ANU to SXM and SXM to SDQ.

Price and booking: Was able to purchase through Expedia at a very good price lower than PAWA site. Booked with credit card so gives one confidence. My rating 9/10.

Check in: Not so good here but largely on account of Inter Caribbean who cancelled their morning flight and left two Americans from Providenciales, TCI stranded and they were first in queue and a lengthy dialogue took place between these irate passengers and Inter Caribbean trying to get them and pay for travel to SDQ on PAWA to SDQ to overnight and take the Inter Caribbean flight from SDQ to Providenciales Tuesday. Slowed the check in on two desks as a result. But also the a couple of Dominicanas ahead of me had overweight bags and to avoid paying were trying to shift clothes from checked in baggage to carry on. PAWA need to do what Insel do with a pre-check of weights and carry on. When I got to the check in it was efficient and speedy and the staff concurred that a pre-check was needed........PAWA take note. My rating 6/10.

Boarding:

Flight arrived ahead of schedule and the ground crew decided to board us early and that all went smoothly. Early and ready to go but we had to sit until the schedules departure time due to SXM congestion...private jets and scheduled flights a factor. I would have much preferred to sit in the new excellent VC Bird ANU airport which is perhaps now one of the best in the Caribbean. for that I score 7/10.

Aircraft & Interior:

I was impressed from the moment I walked on board. It looked so clean and fresh. Sat down and seeing the new safety card quickly realized I was on a DC9...that probably meant it was the 42 year old aircraft I wrote negatively about earlier in the thread. Gone were my expectations of the newer MD80. Nevertheless they had done a good interior revamp. Good sized overhead bins, good décor and good paint job. Comfy seats too. I was not alone remarking how good it looked. My score ignoring aircraft age 8/10

Flight Crew and Service:

3 flight attendants on a max 110 passenger flight and ours was under half full. The stewardesses uniforms are perhaps the best I've seen and we had a drop dead gorgeous young attendant who characterizes all the beauty you find in a morena Dominicana with huge beautiful smile. Service was good albeit the English announcements were not so good and clear and not helped by the DC9's pressurization system which is noisy..always was with older craft. We had a complimentary snack and beverage service on the SXM to SDQ leg which included rum!!. They followed that with a coffee service Dominican style. My score here 9/10.

Flights:

He was clearly a good pilot...and I told him so in the Dufry at SDQ airport. Smooth take offs and landings. The higher aircraft noise level is the only let down but that is not the pilots fault. I score 8/10.

Arrival:

Arrived half hour early. On arrival I saw at least 5 aircraft parked at the bridges in Terminal A including the large Iberia aircraft, and shuddered at the thought of long immigration lines and waits for luggage. But our PAWA flight headed over to Terminal B which was without aircraft parked. We were at the bridge and off the aircraft speedily and sailed through and empty immigration and got our luggage quickly. Brilliant at a peak time. My score 9/10.

As a sceptic who is likely to be visiting Antigua & Barbuda frequently maybe twice monthly going forward, would I use PAWA again: YES

Would I recommend PAWA to others: YES

Wish: They upgrade the DC9 to a newer aircraft

'Riva' you can forward my comments to your friends at PAWA
    Last edited by ju10prd; 02-29-2016 at 08:53 PM.

11. Likes peep2, Riva_31 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ju10prd View Post
    I have just returned from a business trip down to St Kitts & Nevis and Antigua & Barbuda. I had to extend for a day in Antigua and as a result had two options back to Santo Domingo from ANU. PAWA via St Martin or a very early direct flight by Inter Caribbean. I opted for a lie in and PAWA.

So here is my report - a sceptic - on my first two PAWA flights....same flight number and no change of aircraft.....ANU to SXM and SXM to SDQ.

Price and booking: Was able to purchase through Expedia at a very good price lower than PAWA site. Booked with credit card so gives one confidence. My rating 9/10.

Check in: Not so good here but largely on account of Inter Caribbean who cancelled their morning flight and left two Americans from Providenciales, TCI stranded and they were first in queue and a lengthy dialogue took place between these irate passengers and Inter Caribbean trying to get them and pay for travel to SDQ on PAWA to SDQ to overnight and take the Inter Caribbean flight from SDQ to Providenciales Tuesday. Slowed the check in on two desks as a result. But also the a couple of Dominicanas ahead of me had overweight bags and to avoid paying were trying to shift clothes from checked in baggage to carry on. PAWA need to do what Insel do with a pre-check of weights and carry on. When I got to the check in it was efficient and speedy and the staff concurred that a pre-check was needed........PAWA take note. My rating 6/10.

Boarding:

Flight arrived ahead of schedule and the ground crew decided to board us early and that all went smoothly. Early and ready to go but we had to sit until the schedules departure time due to SXM congestion...private jets and scheduled flights a factor. I would have much preferred to sit in the new excellent VC Bird ANU airport which is perhaps now one of the best in the Caribbean. for that I score 7/10.

Aircraft & Interior:

I was impressed from the moment I walked on board. It looked so clean and fresh. Sat down and seeing the new safety card quickly realized I was on a DC9...that probably meant it was the 42 year old aircraft I wrote negatively about earlier in the thread. Gone were my expectations of the newer MD80. Nevertheless they had done a good interior revamp. Good sized overhead bins, good décor and good paint job. Comfy seats too. I was not alone remarking how good it looked. My score ignoring aircraft age 8/10

Flight Crew and Service:

3 flight attendants on a max 110 passenger flight and ours was under half full. The stewardesses uniforms are perhaps the best I've seen and we had a drop dead gorgeous young attendant who characterizes all the beauty you find in a morena Dominicana with huge beautiful smile. Service was good albeit the English announcements were not so good and clear and not helped by the DC9's pressurization system which is noisy..always was with older craft. We had a complimentary snack and beverage service on the SXM to SDQ leg which included rum!!. They followed that with a coffee service Dominican style. My score here 9/10.

Flights:

He was clearly a good pilot...and I told him so in the Dufry at SDQ airport. Smooth take offs and landings. The higher aircraft noise level is the only let down but that is not the pilots fault. I score 8/10.

Arrival:

Arrived half hour early. On arrival I saw at least 5 aircraft parked at the bridges in Terminal A including the large Iberia aircraft, and shuddered at the thought of long immigration lines and waits for luggage. But our PAWA flight headed over to Terminal B which was without aircraft parked. We were at the bridge and off the aircraft speedily and sailed through and empty immigration and got our luggage quickly. Brilliant at a peak time. My score 9/10.

As a sceptic who is likely to be visiting Antigua & Barbuda frequently maybe twice monthly going forward, would I use PAWA again: YES

Would I recommend PAWA to others: YES

Wish: They upgrade the DC9 to a newer aircraft

'Riva' you can forward my comments to your friends at PAWA
    Very good Review, I will copy and paste your review and will add the link to this comment. thanks.

Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast